29 April 2008

How the smallest things can make your day

Presents and treats aren’t just for holidays and birthdays anymore. Oh no. As a single, young professional woman, I believe in treating myself to something nice at least a few times a week, if not every day.
Now this doesn’t mean I’m out buying new purses, make-up or clothes all the time, but I’ve really found that as I get older, it’s the little things that can still make your day. For example, my dad gave me a roll of stamps (the new forever ones) and I was super excited…over stamps. My idea of daily treats include: buying lunch, taking a cab, buying nummy ice cream or cupcakes as a treat, etc. Not exciting or something that will break the bank, but it’s still fun things that I wouldn’t normally do on a regular basis.

I’m teased at the office about my policy about “gift wrapping” things I buy. Whenever I buy something from Coach or Nordstrom’s or really any store that has to ship things to me, I always ask it to be gift wrapped, especially if the service is complimentary. I do this because then it’s like a nice little present, just for me. Yes, I’ve paid for it and I know exactly what’s in the box, but for a few seconds, I have a present and I’m anxious to open it up. Plus, I don’t have a boyfriend to buy and wrap things up for me, so that doesn’t mean I should go without.

Does anyone else do little treat things for themselves? Care to share?

I love the gift wrapping idea! I always order things online because I like to get packages, but it would be fun to open them like a present!

2. megkathleen says:

That’s so cute. I’m glad to know I’m not the only one that gets overly excited about the small things. I got really excited the other day because of a new stapler. I think I’ll start having my stuff gift-wrapped. That’s genious!

3. cityretreat says:

Cute, I like the site and topics. Look forward to reading more.

4. Joy @ Big Time Fancy says:

Red. Velvet. Cupcakes.

Love love love. :)

5. RebeccaC says:

Love, love, LOVE the gift wrapping idea. I may have to do that for myself sometime.

I’m a sucker for flowers if they’re on sale at the grocery store. And I especially can’t go to Trader Joe’s without coming home with a bouquet. They make my little breakfast table look so happy when I walk into the living room in the morning or get home from work at night.

6. Stephanie says:

Stamps would make me happy too! I had to buy some the other day, and its one of those purchases that I hate. I guess because I equate to bills. :P

I’ve never asked for anything to be gift wrapped, but I love when I order a book from amazon and just the excitement of that little package in my mailbox makes me happy.

I think its great that you treat yourself!