27 May 2008

Breaking news: I’m going to BlogHer!

Danielle made my day/week/month today and told me that I’m going to BlogHer ’08 this year in San Francisco! I heard rumors about this from a spy in the office but today it became official and I am so excited that I’m running around giving people random hugs. Look out Rebecca.
Now it’s not going to be strictly parties and mingling, I’m there in an official capacity, but I am looking forward to meeting other bloggers and finding more blogs to add to my Reader. I’ve even put the word out to my buddy Sarah, who lives in Oakland – actually the “Lincoln Park of Oakland” – in the hopes we can meet up for dinner one night. I’ve shared my recent Sarah-experience, but this time it’ll be much¬†tamer.
So it’s time to get some sun on my pasty skin and get ready to have fun, work hard and try not to geek out too much at the conference. Between the wedding going well and this, my week is off to a great start! So I proudly display the below button in honor of my news!
Let me know if you’re heading to BlogHer and you can swing by to say hi. I love meeting bloggers in person.
I'm Going to BlogHer 08

I’m also catching up on my Memorial Day DVR shows, which includes HBO’s movie, Recount, about the 2000 presidential election. In 2000, I was studying in Germany, finding out with the other program students that Florida was too close to call and the US didn’t have a president for nearly a month. We watched CNN (the only English television channel) daily, trying to piece together what was going on and how this could have happened.¬†
If you have HBO, I highly recommend checking it out. It’s definitely an interesting retelling of what happened and for some of us, seeing what we missed while partying at discos and being irresponsible.

1. whatlizsaid.com says:

I’ll have to watch Recount on my DVR. I haven’t watched it yet, but I’ve skipped over it a few times OnDemand.

2. {kay} says:

i heard about blogher and it sounds like such great fun – wish i was going…may try to make it the next time as this is now reason #3 i want to visit San Fran

3. Stephanie says:

Argh- I don’t have HBO, but I’m really curious about this movie. It’s getting great reviews. Maybe if it does well enough they’ll put it out on dvd? (As a qualified tv nerd, I think it’s great that a guy that was on Buffy actually wrote it. But, that is probably only interesting to me.:))

Have fun at BlogHer! If you check my blog list, there is one called Immoral Matriarch–she is supposed to actually speak at BlogHer. This crazy internet! :)

4. megkathleen says:

That sounds like so much fun! I wish I could go…you’ll have to be generous and share all your new knowledge when you get back!

5. wontletlifedefineme says:

I had no idea such blogger conventions existed! Maybe it’s an American thing? Sounds lovely though. Hope you have fun!

-Marjolein

6. Anonymous says:

Keep in mind that “Recount” is really a version of the story from the viewpoint of left leaning activists. I consider myself a centrist, but thought the HBO movie to be a little obviously too left leaning.

Also, you stated that we didn’t have a President for “nearly a month.” That is not true — as we didn’t have a “President-Elect,” we did have President Clinton in the White House. He was in office until President Elect Bush was sworn in.

7. RebeccaC says:

Congrats! For this I would allow a hug…but just one!
    I want a full report on all the cool bloggers you meet and any tips for promoting….I’m still really stuck on that…and comments…always wishing for more comments.

Anyway, this Recount sounds very interesting. We don’t get HBO, but maybe it will go to DVD…netflix…help us out!

8. Angela says:

Wow, I live in the Bay Area, so I may see if I can check it out! I hope YOU have fun!

9. ANG* says:

yay how exciting! :)
    have SO much fun!

10. redstaplernation says:

I can’t wait until the glorious day when I pay off my credit cards and then can max them out again on a trip to mingle with brilliant women in an amazing city.

These are the things that motivate me to eat the 6-piece nuggets instead of the 9-piece. Pennies saved!

11. Rachel says:

That’s awesome that you get to go! One of my favorite bloggers (Boobs, Injuries and Dr. Pepper) is speaking on a panel there. Enjoy the trip!

12. Jenn says:

Yay I’m so excited!

So jealous that you are going to BlogHer! Maybe next year for me…

14. Jamie Lovely says:

How exciting! Jenn and I are going too! Yay!

15. dollymama says:

good happens to those who do good!

16. Tipp says:

I wish I was going!

tidbit about me: I was an absentee vote for FL that year one of the ones that caused all the hype. Yeah, it was my moment in history.

17. Ashley says:

I saw an article about that movie is Newsweek and REALLLLLLY wanted to watch it!! Bummer, no HBO for me. :(

Maybe the library will get it…like next year, haha!