30 December 2008

My favorite holiday foods to gorge on

Tagged: family, Food

Despite my kitchen fails, I love food and eating, especially at the holidays. That’s when I bring out the comfy pants (with elastic waist) and prepare to gorge myself for multiple days. Sometimes, I enjoy the food so much, I contemplate inducing vomiting to make room for more. Okay, yeah that’s gross, I don’t mean that literally.

My family isn’t very adventurous with food. My dad is the perfect example of this (he’s never even had sushi!) We know what we like and we eat it. We don’t always go crazy and try new things, even though my stepmom and I are more outgoing than the men.
So at the holidays, we make the same foods every year and I never get tired of it. In fact, I look forward to the traditional fare weeks before I come home.
My holiday food favorites include:
  • Fudge (My stepmom’s family recipe is so good. It melts in your mouth)
  • Homemade “sticky buns” (Another family recipe, full of butter and goodness)
  • Taco dip (I made it this year and we use a “secret” ingredient that makes trays of this disappear quickly)
  • Ham roll-ups (Simple, ham, green onion and cream cheese. I eat them like chips)
  • Caramel apple dip (There is no actual caramel in here, just cream cheese and brown sugar, but it goes perfectly with Granny Smith apples)
  • Tenderloin (I don’t eat a ton of red meat, but tenderloin is my favorite. I don’t know what my dad does to cook or season it, but I cannot get enough of it)
  • Stollen – A traditional German cake with dried fruit and candy on the inside. My stepmom literally spends three days making loaves of this for family and friends. I am not a huge fan but appreciate the effort. Oh an absolutely everything is homemade, dough and all
I put some pictures of these tasty delights below for you guys to enjoy.
Fudge (yes, I know it has a poop-like shape, but it’s awesome)

Stollen

Taco Dip (before I pile shredded cheese on top!)

Homemade “sticky buns”
Oh, and now that I have the desire to cook and am loaded up with new bar and kitchen stuff, guess it’s time to throw a party. Anyone want to come over?
What are some of your favorite holiday foods that you look forward to? It can be made by you or your family?

1. Megan Ally says:

Italian and Greek Foods are indeed very spicy. sometimes they are so spicy hot “;

2. Greek foods are like asian foods, they are both tangy and very spicy.:-:

3. I love to taste some greek foods because they are very spicy.`,:

4. Princess Pointful says:

Butter tarts and apple cider. Nummmmm.

5. EP says:

Those sticky buns look AMAZING! I hope you enjoyed your holiday feast as much as I enjoyed the one with my family!

6. Allyn says:

Stollen is awesome! I am currently living right next to Germany and have had the great fortune to eat a lot of stollen this holiday season. Right on!

7. laurwilk says:

Holy goodness, that all looks delicious! I forgot to eat lunch today and I want all of THAT right NOW!

8. laura marie says:

Add a cup of peanut butter to your cream cheese and brown sugar.

I’ll just be here waiting for the ‘thank you’ when you’re ready.

9. G+D says:

YUM! My favorite Christmas treat is cheesecake–I make one every year. So delicious!

10. Alexa says:

these bacon wrapped dates that i make plus lots and lots of traditional greek food and lamb.

and today i look forward to pork tenderloin, sauerkraut and mashed potatoes. so tasty.

happy new year!

11. Megkathleen says:

I love the Christams brunch my mom puts together – it’s probably my favorite part of Christmas. That and the Chex Mix – can’t get enough of it!

12. S. says:

Oh man. I’m salivating and my pants are getting tighter by the second!

MY holiFaves?

Oh jeez.
    Confessions of a food addict…

13. Angela says:

I would have to argue that my family’s fudge recipe is better. And my mom’s 5-layer bean dip. Sorry, but I’m partial! Maybe if the internet allowed taste-testing….

14. Lacey Bean says:

Everything looks delicious! My favorite holiday food was my grandmother’s matzoh ball soup. She would always wait for me to get there so I could help make the matzoh balls. Hopefully my mom and I will be able to recreate it since she’s no longer with us.

15. Renee says:

I LOVE holiday food. And those sticky buns? I could definitely go for one (or five) right now!

16. thatShortChick says:

that taco dip? looks dangerously delicious.

i’m a huge fan of ALL dips, tarts, pies, and cakes at holiday time.
    oh and stuffed mushrooms. MUST NOT FORGET about the stuffed mushrooms.

17. Kyla Bea says:

Those all look amazing – especially the homemade sticky buns!

My holiday favourite is making my Grandma’s chocolate cake. My dad grew up on it and I found the recipe after she passed away – it’s a huge deal for him to be able to have it and I love making it for him.

18. Cheryl says:

Aw I’m hungry now. Not a good morning for needing food at the AON…Anyhoo, I must try this tack dip, so have a party or something, ok ;)

19. Lindsey says:

I want some sticky rolls! Those look so, so good. My mom gets up extra early on Christmas morning and make them as well. Yum!

20. Miss Merry says:

uh, yum! i’m dying for some of that fudge right now!

i’m afraid even my fat pants won’t fit anymore though. i’ve eaten so much junk this year. oh well! i’m sure once i move to chicago in a few weeks i’ll do some more walking around so that will hopefully offset the weight gain!

Happy New Year!

21. Tough Girl 101 says:

caramel apple dip.. oh i’ve never heard of anyone eating it without the apple, but it is pretty heavenly isn’t it?

I also like pecan pie, ice cream, candy canes…

22. emmaelizabeth says:

yum! those all look delicious! we made taco dip alot. super good :)

23. wontletlifedefineme says:

‘kerst stol’ as we call it here is very common in the Netherlands too. My favourites though are waffles, made from a secret family recipe, and oliebollen, a traditionally Dutch food:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliebol. The only problem is, with my stomach issues, I can’t have any of those foods right now. :(

24. Lauren says:

Because of this post I’m baking fudge tonight. Just saying. :)

25. Paula says:

I want some fudge right now!!! Although I love tablet even more – which i think is the scottish version of fudge. My mum makes AWESOME tablet!

26. Maris says:

LOL, fudge is not very photogenic but it doesn’t have to photograph well to be delicious. My mom made fudge a few weeks ago and i must have eaten half the tray.

I love baking and trying new holiday cookie recipes! On Christmas we always go to family friends and they make a prime rib. I’m not a big meat eater but I like the tradition!

27. Mandy says:

That fudge looks amazing!

I always look forward to this candy my mom makes — she only makes it at easter and Christmas, it tastes like a Girl Scout tagalong cookie.

28. jenniferalaine says:

Dinner party! I’m in. As long as you make sticky buns for dinner. And taco dip. They obviously go perfectly together.

29. LBluca77 says:

I just want to dive head first into all those pictures. Yummy.

30. erin says:

1. Cookies. If you haven’t already noticed, cookie-baking is a huge family tradition for me.

2. That’s pretty much it.

3. I have a rad taco dip that I make which is so good, I’ve actually gotten marriage proposals out of it. I’m making it for NYE.

31. Jenn says:

Taco dip?! I love taco dip!

32. jess@thehomebound says:

Fantastic! I love food pics! I’m with you with most of your food delights but do have to one up you with peanut butter fudge.
    It is awesome and so rich that it makes your teeth hurt. My grandmother makes it and even this year though she is pretty old and tired, the grandchildren guilted her into it! Felt bad for awhile, then didn’t care because it was so tasty.

33. Ray says:

That fudge looks amazing.

I am in love with the kitchen…we should have a blogger potluck sometime…score!

34. Wickedly Scarlett says:

Oh my goodness… can you please turn this into a recipe blog for the day!!! It all looks amazing :)

35. Blaez says:

dressing. that is my kryptonite when it comes to thankgiving.

and pecan pie

and pumpkin pie

and oh gods ham. i love me some ham! but i can have ham anytime :) *snicker*

i just love all food, i’m addicted

36. Arielle says:

Oh my gosh, IIIIII want to come over and eat all of those things. We have no fun food at my house.