Happy Oscar Sunday! Squee! I’m so excited. And I’m still full from the beginning of Chicago Restaurant Week (more details below.)
Oh yeah and we got about 2-4 inches of snow again! Boo. Come on global warming, swing back around with a 60-degree day again.
Anyhow, back to Hugh Jackman and here are some key learnings.
- It’s acceptable to tip your eyebrow wax girl only 10 percent when she consistently calls you a “waxing sissy”
- A snowed in Saturday is still fun as an adult
- Drinking can really add up at a bar/restaurant. One drink at $6 suddenly multiplies into $30
- Cutting hair out of your clogged vacuum cleaner is messy, gross and humbling. Enough hair for a small dog can be next to you at the end of the task
- Shaving your legs during winter really isn’t a priority
- You don’t have to be a major Cubs fan to enjoy the thrill of getting tickets online
- Riding in an elevator that smells like puke will make you consider doing it yourself
- Note to guys: I don’t watch you adjust yourself, please don’t leer at me when I’m fishing out a hair that’s fallen in my sports bra
- Loud and obnoxious drunk girls who sing in the hallway still irritate me, even if it’s before midnight
- There is no graceful way to regain your balance when you slip on the wet bus floor in boots. Just fall and let it go
Chicago Restaurant Week (part one)
As I mentioned Friday, Restaurant Week is going on right now in Chicago and this weekend I hit my first two restaurants, Prosecco and Carnivale. Below are highlights of both.
Starter: Butternut and acorn squash with pancetta – amazing. Great flavor, very smooth and a lovely start to the meal
Meal: Butter noodles with braised pork loin and red sauce – also amazing. Very light, well seasoned and the pork loin was very well prepared
Dessert: Tiramisu – not great. In fact, it was still frozen when served. I could taste the “freezer crystals.” Definitely a disappointment, but not enough to kill the entire meal
Starter: Spinach, Parmesan cheese and butternut squash empanada – superb starter. Only complaint was the empanada crust, which looked like a Hot Pocket
Meal: Beef tenderloin, peppers and aji panca with rice – very well done. Meat was perfectly cooked and the beef went together very well with the rice, pepers and aji panca (I don’t know what that is, but it was awesome)
Dessert: Coconut flan – very nice finish with heavy whipping cream and caramel.
This week I have two more places to visit and I’m excited about both. I’m trying to sample different types of cuisine through this, such as Vietnamese and Latin, which I don’t eat on a regular basis, but am excited about trying.
Drumroll please! The winner of my BOCA giveaway
is……Working Girl Two
! Congratulations! Please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org with your contact information and I’ll ship out your prize this week! Thank you again to everyone who entered, I’ll let you know if I can do another one soon.
How was everyone else’s weekend? Do anything fun? Are you watching the Oscars?
Remember! Tomorrow is my Oscar’s fashion recap, be sure to check back and let me know if I hit the mark or forget anyone.