23 February 2009

My Oscar fashion awards

Tagged: Fashion

That’s right, it’s here! Last night was the big night, the Super Bowl of fashion and my fashion senses were on overload. The pleating, the color (and lack thereof) and diamonds, oh my!

Overall, I really liked a lot of the Oscar looks this year. The stars brought back glamour and hit on a lot of the trends this season. But unfortunately, there were some missteps (Nicole Kidman) and I have recounted my Oscar fashion wrap up below for everyone to enjoy.
Here we go Hollywood, no mercy!

Best Dressed (tie)

(Straight-up modern day Grace Kelly. Divine)

(Wish it had more color, but the pleating detail was amazing)

Worst spray tan endorsement
(there is a lot more wrong with this look but I’ll refrain)

Modern interpretation of Michael Jackson’s “glove” (it morphed into a sleeve!)

Most “large and in charge boobs” (got milk?)

Sign that boobs can grow flowers!

Shameless rip-off
(it’s Kate’s Globes dress in red! And she wore it better)

Best use of sequins/paillettes

Scarlett O’Hara-inspired dress
(turning bad curtains into a dress. I hate the shape)

Showing badly that the curtains match the carpet
(in a non-dirty way)

Best Use of Toilet Paper on a dress (still love it though)

Worst boob hair

Worst Overall Look (tie)

(I just hate the entire neckline of this. You’re dating Jake Gyllenhaal, come on!)

(Bed head + bad fitting dress = disaster. You’re dating JT, “woman up” and put together som
ething better!)

Best everyday look (JCrew)

Is there anyone I’m missing? Overall, there were a lot of great looks last night. But some SCARY eye makeup. Lots of “cat eyes” or shimmer in places it should not be shimmering.
Also, I found out that I did win my work’s Oscar pool! Woo woo! Much to celebrate today.
Finally, now that the award season is over, I’m thinking of adding another semi-regular feature here where I show the clothes, accessories, etc. that I’m currently coveting. This can be anything from coasters to cardigans to shoes. What do you think?

1. Love the idea for your new feature. Check out luxlotus.com where Lauren Cerand has a “Windowlicker” feature.

2. Lucy says:

LOVED Penelope Cruz’s vintage dress! The details on it were amazing and I think it might have overwhelmed someone else. But she wore it well!

3. Katelin says:

i loved alicia keys and natalie portman’s purple dresses, so cute and chic. and amy adams red dress was one of my faves as well. but seriously kate is amazing, heart her.

4. Jamie says:

I just need to let you know that I am basically obsessed with Kate Winslet, and I thought she looked STUNNING! By far the best dressed and the classiest gal there.

5. Shan says:

Ok, i have been wavering back and forth in the blogging world and being a fellow chicago girl i love your chi stories, but i have to admit, I rushed to check your blog after the oscars! I love your style coverage- and that is not usually something I’m even into. I don’t know about designers or trendy brands, but I do like hearing your opinion. Especially if there was a chicago style update- that would def be something i was into for spring! :) go for it girl!

6. reese was a HUGE disappointment. but i thought sjp’s boob display was a bit too much for the oscars.

7. Miss Grace says:

I have a whole second blog devoted to material objects that I’m coveting, so I would LOVE that feature.

8. I hated how Beyonce looked like she was draped in a curtain from my grandmothers house.

9. Worst boob hair was my favorite! Man that dress was heinous.

Beyonce’s dress is so ugly. And what is she doing with her arms in that picture? She looks so awkward!

10. Maxie says:

I completely agree with you on the worst dressed. why does my girl reese have to pick something out like that? she’s so adorable!!

11. Katie cat says:

lol, I’m laughing about the boob hair on Nicole Kidman…

12. SoMi's Nilsa says:

Kate Winslet could wear toilet paper and make it look good. That woman is flawless!

And Nicole Kidman – not only does she need a better hair stylist, she also need a better dress stylist. On a consistent basis, she wears shit that makes her beautiful porcelain skin look washed out. The idea is not to try matching clothing to skin, but complementing it. Sheesh!

13. Andy says:

I liked Marisa’s dress, but, to be honest, that’s because I was hoping she’d reprise her Wrestler role and decide to get naked during the second half of the show.

14. Kate, RD says:

Word of the Day: Paillette

:-)

15. Actually, Biel’s dress started to grow on me.. but only after a couple more stares

16. Daisy says:

I loved Marisa and Kate too, but I thought Kate’s was perhaps a bit severe. She still looked amazing though, I am so proud of our English star!! I also loved Penelope’s quasi-bridal gown, thought she worked it well and looked stunning too.

17. Jules says:

You are RIGHT on!!!

18. cavy says:

jessica’s bedhead/towel combo really bugged me… she’s dating freaking JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE and she shows up like that?! so wrong.

but yes, kate looked FABULOUS and her speech was adorable :)

19. Andhari says:

The pleats in Marisa Tomei’s dress made me go crazy. So fabulous.

20. Totally! I love your fashion comments. Totally agree about Reese. That dress looked like it hadn’t been finished! There were some weird necklines going on….

21. Mandy says:

I have been waiting for this since last night. LOL. I LOVE it! I was very disappointed with Reese, Jessica, and Beyonce’s choices. I thought Kate, Anne (though I wish she would wear a color), and the leading lady from Slumdog all looked spectacular.

I think an accessories post would be awesome!

22. Megan says:

I’ve been waiting for this! I politely disagree on Nicole Kidman but 100% agree on Michael Jackson.

23. SA says:

Soo agree with best and worst dressed. Kate looked straight up divine last night. I have no idea what Reese was thinking with that. She has and should pick better than that.

Love the new feature idea.

24. I loved Natalie Portman (pinkish dress behind Marisa Tomei). She had the best line of the night with “Hasidic meth lab.”

25. Foxie says:

Hey yourself! ;) Like the new features idea, if you think you won’t be too swayed to buy a bunch of the stuff by commenters! (Who usually mean well, but can be very convincing sometimes. Especially when you already like it enough to confess to wanting it!)

26. robin roberts looked fabulous. i’m glad you posted that one!

Agree with all your observations! Though I did like Reese’s dress. You’re right about the neckline, but I liked the colors and flowiness.

28. Angela says:

Where did SJP get those tits? She’s normally flat-chested!

29. Lindsey says:

I really liked Angelina’s earrings. They were gorgeous!

30. EP says:

I love this post, and I definitely agree with most of this! Kate is just so classy and gorgeous!

31. James says:

YHa! I love these. I agree with Best Dressed.

Tilda Swinton was perhaps the most frightening thing of the night for me, then again, she always scares me a little…

32. Worst Boob Hair made me snort tea all over my keyboard.

Amazing.

33. LBluca77 says:

kate was the best. She looked so beautiful and I was so happy for her win.

Melissa Leo was the worse dressed to me. Her hair and dress were the same color and whoever did her hair needs to be fired.

34. Blaez says:

i’ve never been into fashion and who’s wearing what but you make it so much fun! and i love reading all your comments on the gowns.

any feature you add to your blog would be absolutely wonderful!!