21 May 2009

Randomness: fashion, movies, pop culture and food

I cannot believe it’s Memorial Day. Seriously. Time is literally flying by. Eeeek!

I’m back in Wisconsin right now, indulging on a gluttonous mushroom Swiss cheeseburger on pretzel roll, washed down with beer. It’s like heaven, but not.
So in honor of a much needed long weekend, I’m keeping it kind of light tonight with lots of bullets, links and pictures!
  • I found a blog dedicated to Michelle Obama’s fashion and I’m completely obsessed with it. I check it daily and follow it on Twitter too. I am totally in love with her fashion sense, well most of them (the below is not an example of that exception)
  • Now that my office has moved to a “tastefully casual” dress code, I’m in need of new summer shoes. I went to Nordstrom Rack last weekend and bought these shoes, what do you think? Bedazzled gladiator sandals, somewhat
  • I watched the 60 Minutes interview with Vogue editor Anna Wintour last weekend. She’s rumored to have a $200,000 yearly clothing allowance. What would I do with that? Chanel for everyone! After some damage at JCrew
  • Last week I also went to a sneak preview tour of the new Whole Foods in Lincoln Park. And it is MASSIVE. My mind was totally spinning while I walked around on my tour. It’s such a great representation of Chicago’s various neighborhoods. I cannot wait to go visit and eat my way around. Oh and it has a cheese/wine bar inside! Anyone in Chicago interested in joining me for a wine/cheese flight?
  • The New Moon poster for Twilight saga is out. Personally, I liked New Moon and Eclipse a lot so I’m all for more Jacob, especially without that dead animal of a wig on his head. Oh and Rob said in Cannes that they will be making a movie out of Breaking Dawn. I cannot wait to see how they do that. Yeah if you’ve read it, you know what I mean
  • I bought a necklace from the Gap (it just started carrying jewelry) and the tag made it clear it’s not for kids. So I guess that means I shouldn’t try to eat it and I should probably keep it away from me while intoxicated too
  • I fully plan on grilling out with my dad this weekend. Fish, beef, chicken, you name it and we’ll grill it. Everything tastes better on the grill!
  • When I went shopping for my bedazzled gladiator sandals I caught this fashion fail at Nordstrom Rack. It’s Rock & Republic, with an “e” at the front. Ouch.
Finally, I’m thinking of “sexing up” my little blog and moving from Blogger to WordPress, but I’m a little scared. But that may mean my reader’s need to update their feeds. It’s not settled just yet, but if the feeds were to change, would you guys follow me? Bueller? Lie to me?
Well, I hope everyone has a great Memorial Day weekend! Anyone have big plans or is anyone traveling? Safe travels to everyone!!
Oh and if any readers happen to live in the Southeastern Wisconsin area and will be around this weekend, let me know because I would LOVE to hang out with someone other than my parents for a little bit. Dad doesn’t keep up with pop culture or fashion like me :)

1. Ronnica says:

$200,000/year for fashion? Okay, that makes me a little sick. I just don’t think I could do it!

I just started following you, but sure, I’ll follow you to WordPress if you make the jump. I did about 5 months ago and have really enjoyed it. WordPress is harder technically (to change your background and stuff), but everything else is easier and more customizable.

2. Jessi says:

You know, if you’d like to hang out with people other than your parents, you can always give Andy and I a call.

3. wekeepsaying says:

i’m all for the move to wordpress! it’s a lot easier than i thought it was going to be.

4. Jenn says:

Cute shoes!
    Wine and cheese bar? I’m so there!
    LOVE the note on the necklace.
    I cannot wait for New Moon. I’m also VERY interested in how they’re going to make Breaking Dawn.

5. Macie says:

Those gladiator shoes are magnificent>. I am in love and want to see them in my closet.

6. Maxie says:

love the shoes– i need to get a few pairs of sandals for the summer. They’re so comfy!

7. Splendidlandscape.com says:

when one cannot distinguish between a night shirt and a dress the choice to wear or not should be obvious.

8. Stevie says:

I would most surely follow you! And I love the sandals :-)

9. Yay for the Breaking Dawn movie! Only downside is that it is going to take forever for them to make and release all of these movies!! I am SO impatient!

I’ve spent the last few minutes (and will probably spend a few more) dreaming of the clothes I could buy for $200K a year. Ah, heaven! :)

10. Jen K says:

I’m right with you on the Breaking Dawn thing… I mean…I hope its “R” rated. That’s all I’m sayin’

11. I am TOTALLY down for a wine/cheese flight in a grocery store.

$200,000?!?! WTF??!
    I can’t wrap my mind around that so I will just say Happy Memorial Days! : )

13. yeah that anna wintour interview was very…interesting. I love how she said that the Devil Wears Prada movie didn’t accurately reflect how things were fun at Vogue but she didn’t say anything about the accuracy of Miranda Priestly’s behavior.

and I saw her afternoon starbucks latté on her desk in a couple of the shots.

oh and yes, I would follow you if you made the move!

Have a good weekend!

14. Hi! I'm Erin says:

Ooooh, I’d join you for wine and cheese :-) Also, to oogle your new sandals. I just bought a pair at TJ Maxx this past weekend but they are no where near as cute. I actually have a $50 gift card to Nordstrom/Nordstrom Rack I need to spend. Wanna help me find something good?

And, yes, I would definitely follow you to WordPress.

15. Miss Grace says:

I can’t deal with gladiator sandals on my giant feet. I think they make my feet look more giant and my legs look even more stunted.

But they’re cute on other people!
    And I love silver shoes!

16. Vanessa says:

Love the shoes! The Whole Foods here has a wine and cheese bar and it’s right next to Barnes and Noble. Sometimes I won’t even let myself near that corner!

17. Blaez says:

enjoy your long weekend!!

have lots of fun for me

18. Rebekah says:

1. Loving on the sandals – am not allowed open-toed ANYTHING at the hospital, so I'm extremely jealous.

2. I would have attacked that Rock & Republic sign with a Sharpie. Not. Kidding.

3. And everyone will follow you!

19. Maggie says:

I’m down for a milwaukee meet-up! I just emailed you.

20. Moonjava says:

I have oodles of coupons, maybe some shopping this weekend, but definitely not a $200000 balance to work with.

As for switching to wordpress, what’s the difference between the 2?

21. Kristin says:

I just found your blog and would definitely follow you. Keep up the fun!

22. Heidi Renée says:

I would follow!

We’re leaving our weekend plans last-minute, but I predict booze. In varying locations.

23. Jared says:

Hi,

We have just added your latest post “The Everyday Adventures of Me in the City: Randomness: fashion, movies, pop culture and food” to our Directory of Shopping . You can check the inclusion of the post here . We are delighted to invite you to submit all your future posts to the directory for getting a huge base of visitors to your website and gaining a valuable backlink to your site.

Warm Regards

Best Mart Team

24. Andhari says:

$200,000 yearly clothing allowance

ARE.YOU.SERIOUS.

Imagine what we can buy with that..YIKES.

25. Maki says:

I will definitely check out the blog – sounds interesting! Also the shoes, I like it like it!! Gladiator shoes are cute depends on how you dress yourself = you have no problem looking lovely in it!

BTW, $20,000 a year allowance? CRAZY!!! How lucky.. I’m drooling.
    I guess I should never let my daughters play with Gap jewelry :)

26. Caz says:

I’m also thinking of making the move to wordpress but I’m a little bit intimidated. Thinking it may be a slow transition…

27. Deutlich says:

that dude next to Michelle looks SUPER SUPER red.

28. Mandy says:

I’m still wrestling with whether or not to move to wordpress too, the lack of ability to respond to comments and password protect posts is annoying. I would definitely follow you and thanks for the reminder, I really do need to clean up the links on my sidebar. =) Have a fun weekend!

29. Jenn says:

hey – welcome home to wisconsin :) i just emailed you about meeting up if you’d like to come on down to the city for a drink or two. i wish i could say i venture out to the suburbs…but i’m lazy! :) oh and i’d def. still follow if you moved your website.

30. Katie cat says:

Those are cute gladiators! You’re lucky your office has a more casual dress code now. I have to stick to black, white and gray business attire all year-round..

Why is the girl holding onto Taylor Lautner’s character in the poster and not Edward!!?