14 June 2009

Weekend recap: Back from Boston

Tagged: family, travel
Woo hoo, I’m back! I’m back in Chicago and it feels so good!!
So after my adventure in Vegas, I came back to Chicago, rested my legs for a day and then jumped on another plane, this time to Boston, aka Beantown. And now, I’m finally back in the Midwest to stay. I missed everyone!
And because I’m totally exhausted, digging through 200+ e-mails from work and preparing to get back in my routine, I thought I would recap this trip in a fun bulleted format.
My Boston trip in the numbers:
  • Celeb sightings: Zero (I tried to stalk Ben and Jen but no luck!)
  • Photos taken: 300+ (I know, I can’t believe I took that many too!)
  • Times I tripped on cobblestones: 8-10 (one hurt pretty bad)
  • Length of my stay: 5 days, 4 nights (turns out the Boston Craigslist Killer struck at our hotel. We didn’t know that ahead of time. Still, it was nice!)
  • Total miles walked: Too many to count (helped me offset the beer consumption)
  • Restaurants visited: 6 (some examples below)
  • Times lost in the city: 2 (not bad!)
  • Beers consumed by me at Fenway: 4 (fortunately, I didn’t say anything inappropriate, but it did result in the below picture)
  • Arms sunburned: 2 (both of mine are toasty red. Doh!)
  • Gay pride parade run-ins: 1 (it was dad’s first one, he was very excited)
  • Women seen touching themselves pantless and underwearless on the street: 1 (that image is burned in my brain)
  • Fresh seafood dinners: 4 (the lobster roll below was amazing. Like, I died and went to heaven it was so good)
  • Pair of seersucker pants with embroidered pot leaves purchased: Zero (but it makes a great picture)
  • Children I told to “back off” so I could sit on the duck statue: 4 (they wouldn’t share!!!)

So that is a quick little recap of my trip. Photos are in the process of being uploaded to my Flickr page too.
Thank you again to all of my great guest bloggers and everyone for coming and commenting on their posts while I was gone.
Oh and here’s a nice little picture of dad and me that was taken on our Harvard tour. I was going for the “bookish-cute” look in my coat and scarf. Thank you JCrew corduroy for keeping me warm!
How was everyone else’s weekend? Do anything fun? Or see any good movies?

1. Looks like you had a super fun trip! I've been to Boston a few times, but never been there long enough to actually explore. Maybe one of these days I can visit longer than just a day.

2. Pam says:

Yay Boston! Looks like you had an amazing time. Love your photos! I totally have a bunch of pictures with those ducks. Every time I go, I take a new one. Not sure why.

And I'm glad you liked Coda! I haven't ever been, but someone recommended it to me once. I'll definitely have to go when I'm in Boston in July.

3. Susan says:

Glad you had fun in Boston! Those cobblestones really are a killer, I've had so many heels ruined.

4. Katelin says:

looks like a fabulous trip, love it all. and mmm that lobster roll looks divine.

5. Holy delicious looking lobster roll, batman!

What a fun, cute vacation! And now I'm all jealous because I've never gone. Boo-urns.

6. Moonjava says:

Looks like you had a ton of fun in Boston! I haven't been there in years and even then I was just looking at colleges so I didn't get to do the sightseeing that I wanted to. Eventually though, eventually!

7. Ali says:

Great little recap. Looks like a great trip!

I saw Away We Go this weekend – fantastic!

8. nory says:

It's official. I must now go to Boston as I've heard many good things about it =)

Love the Fenway photo & the duck!

Welcome back to the Midwest!

9. Doniree says:

Looks like you had a great time! I've never been to Boston and am now wanting even MORE to make that happen soon! Welcome home – good luck re-acclimating to "real life!"

10. Jess says:

So fun! Looks like a fantastic trip!

11. cobblestones, they looks so quaint but who knew they could be (potentially) dangerous?!

and that lobster roll? nom nom nom.

12. wekeepsaying says:

next adventure for me: boston. i love cobblestones! i was reading all your tweets while you were gone, so of course i already know you had a good time :) i didn't really do anything…our plans were botched, so we're saving them for another weekend.

13. Lacey Bean says:

I went to a 200+ person half Asian/half Polish wedding on Saturday. Needless to say it was interesting!

14. Kyla Roma says:

I love the duck picture – and that sandwich is totally scanwich worthy! You must be wiped out from all that travel, have a good rest, and then get prepped for me to steal you as a Boston tour guide. Sound good?

15. Katie cat says:

I love ducks! And I love that you told some kids to back off. lol

16. luckygirl says:

looks like you had a great time on your trip! i've always wanted to visit boston and you're motivating me to go! saw away we go – highly recommend it!

17. Vanessa says:

Sounds like you had a great time. I've always wanted to move to Boston (I know, I say I want to move everywhere!). I didn't realize there were so many cobblestones and didn't it hurt sitting on the duck? I attempted a pic of that this weekend and the metal was just too hot.

Have a great week!

18. Matt says:

I have those same pot embroidered shorts in green.

19. Marissa says:

What a fun trip! I saw Up this weekend

20. liferehab says:

My boyfriend loves those ducks. They're one of his fave things about Boston. Glad you had a good time!

Looks like ti was a fun trip! :)

22. Looks like fun! We have lots of cobble stones here too. Unfortunately I didn't take that into account when I bought my first pair of stiletto heels.

I had a weekend full of birthday celebrations which was a lot of fun. Helps me feel better about working on my thesis again today.

23. Jenn says:

I LOVE the duck photo! Too cute :)

Glad you had such a fun trip. Man I miss Boston.

24. Blaez says:

omigod i'm 100% jealous!

25. What a fun trip.

Now, go to your nearest theatre and see The Hangover. So wrong, so funny!

26. The cobblestone street is pretty! And I have that same blue dress :) Looks like you had a great time!

27. Andhari says:

Gotta love interesting city like Boston. Some of my friends went to Suffolk and BU, I always wanna visit. They always have great pictures.

28. Ah, haha! I love you riding a duck. Hilariously awesome.

29. Hi! I'm Erin says:

What a fun trip recap! Love it!

And who would have guessed you would need a jacket and scarf in June???

30. YAY for the awesome duckling picture :)

31. Jenn says:

glad you had such a fun trip, and welcome back! :)

32. Mandy says:

I am glad that you had such a great time. I'm also glad that you're back. I missed you!

And really? You had to tell kids to back off 4 times so you could have your turn on the duck? Damn kids.

33. Jamie says:

I love the picture of you on the duck. haha

Boyfriend is taking me there in August as a birthday present. So happy to read your recap and I totally want to get my photo with the ducks!!!

35. EP says:

I've never been to Boston before, but reading this post and seeing all the fun things (and goofy photos) you got to experience, I definitely want to check it out.

What was your favorite part? Other than that amazing-looking lobster roll?

36. LBluca77 says:

That lobster roll looks amazing. When I went to Harvard it was right around graduation time and I pretended I was one of the graduates. So if anyone asks, yes I went to Harvard.

37. PR says:

Retreads, duck walking, lobster burns, Paul Revere twitters again.