28 July 2009

BlogHer recap – Close encounter of the Tim Gunn-kind

That’s right. I was touched by the right hand of fashion and style, Tim Gunn. Actually, we hugged. And yes, I almost screamed out loud like a teeny bopper waiting at the mall. But we’ll get to that later.

This past weekend was BlogHer and I love it because I get to hang out with awesome people I read all the time, get my geek on and party like a blog star.

And this year was no different. I got to meet up with some of my favorite bloggers from San Fran last year and discovered three new blog crushes: Modern Gal, Life in Pink (who has the best laugh ever) and Chookooloonks. I actually fell in love with Karen while we were talking after a session she moderated. No joke.

There were a lot of highlights from this year’s conference, and I’ve put them together in a little list and photo montage for you below.

Highlights:

• Sit-down dinner at the Signature Room (thank you Brand About Town). Our table kicked a**! I’ll never look at a scratching post or think about dry humping the same way again
  • BowlHer/Cheeseburger party. I won’t lie, I was so drunk I don’t remember a lot of both parties, but if  I slapped your butt, tried to pull your shirt down and/or grab your boob. I’m sorry (sort of)
  • Lunch! OMG the lunch food was so much better than last year. I got to sit and eat family style with awesome people. Win, win
  • Sheraton hotel beds. I’m not kidding, it was one of the best beds I’ve ever been in. It was like sleeping on a cloud, wrapped in a hug (and you know how I love to hug)
  • Friends. I’ve said this before but I’m so fortunate to have great blog friends. One bought me champagne to congratulate me on finishing my work at the conference and everyone was so supportive when I thought I might lose my mind
  • Wooing. BlogHer can be a little overwhelming so to keep our group of bloggy ladies together, we adopted the “woo” chant, a la HIMYM. Silly? Maybe, but it works

Okay here are some of my favorite photos.

Me and Tim Gunn – Yes, that is the look of pure joy on my face

Me and Edward Cullen – I think that is the only clean picture we took with him :)

Photo of me, April and Rick Bayless. Me = Super Top Chef fan

So that was BlogHer 2009 in Chicago. And let me just say, it blew my skirt up (not literally).

We’ll see you b*tches in NYC next year. Woo woo!!

Tonight’s question! If you had the chance to meet one celebrity, who would it be and why!

Reader note: Thank you everyone for your sweet words about the new blog design! I’m super happy with it and am so glad you’re joining me over here. Your comments definitely made my day!

Site updates: Sorry about the little feed issue last night. Google went a little crazy on me. So sorry! Working on resolving that issue now. Stupid feeds. Also, the “Subscribe in Google Reader” link on the right is now working!

1. E.P. says:

I think I would have freaked out if I met Tim Gunn AND Rick Bayless. SO awesome! It sounds like an amazing time, and I hope I can make it to NYC for next year!

I think I’m more jealous of you meeting Rick Bayless than I am of you meeting Tim Gunn! Did he tell you to make it work?

LOL….I love the look on your face with Tim Gunn, it’s priceless! :)

4. eeek! Tim Gunn = massive amounts of LOVE.

For meeting a celebrity, it would probably be Prince. I just want to see him in concert and then hang out with him backstage.

5. heidi says:

Seriously – i think BowlHer/CheeseburgHer = highlight. Even though someone…anyone…really should have stopped me from that 3rd cheeseburger. That was a not so good idea.

LOVE the new design :) It’s fab :D

and i owe you an email back :) soon! I promise!!

6. Love you, love the new design!

Ohhhhh, the butt slapping. I think I was guilty of some of that myself. Whoops.

I’d love, love, love to meet Tim Gunn. Oh wait! Actually, true story: I’ve been dying to meet Darius Rucker, lead singer of Hootie and the Blowfish. I can’t reveal why here, but you might be able to guess.

7. Heidi Renée says:

I love how excited you look with Tim Gunn. That is definitely how I would look if I could meet New Kids on the Block.

8. I LOVE those born to blog t-shirts!

Glad you had a good time, and maybe I’ll make it to BlogHer next year :)

9. Maggie says:

um, BEST WEEKEND EVER.

I love how we all commented on the wooing & sorority feel on thursday night, and by saturday night we embraced it hard. maybe it was all the fabulous wine :-)

10. AuburnKat says:

I updated my Reader with your new address! Love the new site!

11. April says:

Who is that cool chick that is with you and Rick Bayless! hahaha

I would like to meet Justin Timberlake. Or Obama. Either one would be super cool but I’m sure JT and myself would become total besties.

Love the new design!!

12. you did good girl! look at you and all the celebs. i have no excuse for not going in nyc next year.

and i love that you are wearing your born to blog t-shirt!

13. Ali says:

My answer to your question changes on a daily basis. Today? It’d have to be Sarah Jessica Parker. This is not unusual, as I am a SATC FREAK.

14. Tara says:

That photo of you and Tim Gunn is priceless.

It was great meeting you and hanging out with ya’ll.

15. SoMi's Nilsa says:

I don’t know how you’re functioning this week after all the craziness over the weekend. You are a rock star.

16. SarahBeth says:

Oh my gosh I’m so jealous, I heart Tim Gunn!

17. emily says:

Your post showed up just fine in google reader today for me.

It all sounds like tons of fun. I’m super jealous of meeting Tim Gunn and Rick Bayless!

18. Jenn says:

I’m okay with the fact that you tried to pull up my shirt at BowlHer. It’ll make for an interesting story years from now. I heart you :)

19. Rebekah says:

Um, yes, you DID grab my boob at BowlHer.

AND I LIKED IT.

20. cassie says:

omg, you met rick bayless?? I am officially super jealous!!

I think I just left a comment, but it didn’t post! SO…. glad you had fun, hooray for meeting celebrities and I’d love to meet Gerard Butler, Shia LaBeouf, Dave Matthews & Natalie Portman =)

Haha, love that you were too drunk to remember a few of the parties! way to go =) Sounds like the right way to party.

One celebrity? If it were a guy, it would have to be Gerard Butler AND Dave Matthews Band. I’d love to meet Natalie Portman just because she seems so down to earth and awesome. Or maybe Jennifer Garner!

23. Jessica says:

Love the new design and domain! Fab….so jealous you met Tim Gunn!

It looks like so much fun! I am definitely saving my pennies to go next year!

This statement “BowlHer/Cheeseburger party. I won’t lie, I was so drunk I don’t remember a lot of both parties, but if I slapped your butt, tried to pull your shirt down and/or grab your boob. I’m sorry (sort of)” almost made me spit my water out from laughing.

Glad that you enjoyed the event. Did you work it as well?

26. Shannalee says:

You. Meet. So. Many. Famous People. (!!!!) So jealous and impressed. BlogHer sounds like a blast, BTW!

27. Maxie says:

I would love to meet Channing Tatum just so I could see that perfection up close.

Or mark paul gosselaar.

28. Maki says:

WOOO HOOO!!! Your new blog is looking awesome!

Gosh, you’re so good. I am going to change your feed now.

xoxo

29. CC says:

cute new site! you’re updated in my reader so i’m still reading too! :)

30. Sounds like a little slice of paradise!
    And, yes, the new website is absolutely lovely :)