11 August 2009

The naked truth

Tagged: beauty

No, no, I’m not talking about getting naked. Even if I do like to walk around the apartment semi-nude. Hey, it’s a benefit to living alone. Consider it…a rite of passage!

Anyhow, along with my late blooming that I’ve mentioned before, another rite of passage I was delayed on was wearing makeup. Actually, I rarely wore it at all until after college. Sure I’d slap some mascara on my eyes but foundation, concealer, etc. that was all foreign to me. I still don’t even know how to apply liquid eyeliner!

Now, I wear a lot of make up. Primers and tints and brushes line my bathroom sink, each with it’s proper place in my routine. It’s sad but I even have a “workweek face” whichrequires the most prep and a “weekend face” that also has a routine but minus a few of the “workweek” products. I rarely let people see me completely makeup free.

Why? Because I’m insecure. For a long time I was embarrassed by how I looked, with rosacea on both cheeks, uneven skin tone and dark undereye circles. But I just figured make up was evil and this is how I was made so it was fine.

But now that I have this weekday and weekend routine and I notice that people compliment me on my skin and features so I’m rarely seen without it.

And while I was on vacation, due to mostly laziness, I barely wore makeup at all, giving my parents a bit of a shock for the first two days. I think my stepmom was holding out hope I’d come around. Yeah, I didn’t.

But going a week without make up was kind of liberating. No one stared at me like I was a monster, or pointed out the flaws on my skin out loud. That kind of judgement is all in my own head.

So here’s a picture of me au natural on the face. It’s something I definitely need to do more often. Because despite all the scars or uneven tone or redness, I still like what was originally there :)

securedownload

Do you have a make up routine? Or do you find that the number of make up products you use has increased as you’ve gotten older?

Note: As a follow up to yesterday’s online dating FAILs, yes, I did hear from Phil and after another whiny e-mail, he’s been cut loose. I need a man, not a boy. But his reaction to my “coddling” e-mail was hilarious. He apparently like a sassy woman :) And I didn’t reply to the guy who gave me options but maybe I should! It’s just the word, “heart throbber” that throws me :)

1. MinD says:

I feel very similarly about my sans-makeup face. I only feel comfortable with it if I have a sunburn or some tan to my face, which is rather unfrequently. Like you, I need to embrace the makeup free face I have instead of always covering it up. But leaving the house without eyeliner? It’s been a long time and it’s a hard habit to break.

2. blaez says:

i dont wear makeup as a normal affair. not even to work!

the only time you’ll see me put on makeup is if i’m going to an event that is dress-up, otherwise i’m a no makeup wearing person…

3. Dora says:

I say no make up is the best! And you look great anyways!

The only time I’ve ever worn make up was when I was in kindergarten and I had to do a ballet performance. Some teacher did my make up and I thought I look horrendously like a tropical bird gone wrong. I’ve never worn any make up since. Not even mascara or lipstick or whatnot. Simply coz I don’t know how to, and I’m too lazy to be bothered.

Just stumbled by, by the way, and love what you write about. Keep it up!

4. Chelsy says:

I know I’m a little late commenting on this post, but you are beautiful…just the way you are.

I don’t wear much makeup on a daily basis…some bronzing powder, a bit of mascara, and a little concealer if I need it. When I go out or for special events I use more (eyeliner, eyeshadow, maybe a bit of blush)…just because it is fun to play around with!

5. I rarely leave the house without makeup too. I don’t wear a lot, but at least some powder and eyeliner. I used to love working at summer camps because I wouldn’t wear makeup and dry my hair for 7 weeks!

6. Lollygagger. says:

Jess – that is a fabulous picture!! I’m not someone who wears a lot of makeup. The basics, blush, mascara, powder and on the weekend eyeshadow (woah!) but I totally agree with the liberating feeling of NOT wearing anything! I did that while in Alaska and I totally fell in love with it.

It’s hard when you come back to a city though…I’m still not sure how I truly feel about it.

7. Jen says:

I never wear make-up, but always think of how I should. Dark circles, kind of uneven skin tone, occasional blemishes (still in my twenties!). I just can never justify spending the time and money on it. At least once I month I say to myself, this is it, this month I’m going to become a make-up queen. It has yet to happen…too lazy.

8. Kyla Roma says:

I love the sans-makeup picture! You have such beautiful skin! I would wear less make up if my skin was more like yours and wasn’t constantly flaring up.

I think make up is like anything- you get used to it and then it feels like you’re missing something if you don’t have it on. But clearly you’re not missing anything without it =)

If I’m going out I wear foundation, eye shadow, blush, eyeliner, and mascara but at work I’m au natural. I have to wake up @ 4am so mama doesnt care what she looks like at that hour. :)

10. emily says:

I very rarely wear any make up. My dressed up look means mascara and some powder. I have gone to the make up counter before and been taught how to properly use foundation and eyeliner, etc. but I still don’t use it regularly. I still want to be able to look professional and to me, that involves some make up but I’m not quite to the point where I wear it regularly.

I think you look great without it and if that’s comfortable, go for it :)

i say yay to no makeup and you look quite fabulous without it.

12. Jenn says:

good for you. i scare myself without makeup…badly. unless i’m tan. then i throw on lip gloss and mascara. but always those two :)

My ritual as of now is to wear as little makeup as possible — usually just some concealer and powder under my eyes. So, yeah, I’m going to be screwed in about 10 years when I start needing makeup and have no idea what in hell I’m doing.

14. Ronnica says:

I wear a little bit of makeup elsewhere, but my eyes are usually dolled up. Otherwise, I feel like they get lost in my face. I do make it a point to go out in public without makeup (usually to the store or something) every once in a while. I’m not ashamed of how I look, though I do like to tend the garden most days.

15. I think you’re lovely. So there.

And I’ve had skin issues since I was, oh, 11. So I’ve been in this weird perpetual puberty thing in regard to the niceness of my skin for over a decade and it’s just old. But I’m at the point where I’m too damn lazy to slap on a face unless I want to make a legitimately nice impression on someone.

16. Ali says:

Good for you! You are one pretty woman, and I love your message in this post.

17. Angela says:

I love how easily makeup (especially mascara) goes on after not wearing any for days!

18. Bing says:

I think you look great without makeup – your skin just glows. I started wearing makeup, not everyday, in 6th grade.

My routine hasn’t really changed too much throughout the years. My basic routine includes – lotion mixed with foundation, concealer, powder, bronzer, blush, eyeliner, eyeshadow, mascara. I can usually get my “face” on in about 10 minutes.

19. Rebekah says:

I started wearing makeup in high school because I had bad breakouts and at least it covered up the redness. This was one very insecure chickie.

Now I wear shadow and mascara most days, just because my eyes usually look sleepy. Powder to even out the skin. I only do foundation if I really need to look awesome (wedding photos). Sometimes it fun to just play with makeup and experiment with color, but I’m not afraid to go without it now.

20. Lacey Bean says:

So, not that you don’t look pretty when you are wearing makeup, but you look so pretty au natural!! :)

I wear a bit of makeup for work, mainly just concealer and some eye make up, but on weekends if I’m going out I put on more. And if I’m lazy, (or having a good skin day!) then I just dont care!

21. E.P. says:

As someone who was a late bloomer in pretty much everything in life, I know how this goes. I didn’t wear makeup every day — any of it — until I was a senior in college. (What took me so long!?) And now? I don’t wear any to work because it just sweats off. Sure, I tried to make it work for me last summer, but it was more messy that it was worth. And no one would tell me about dark mascera lines running down my face!

22. April says:

I totally never wear makeup. I am such a slacker.

I have a ton of it, but hardly ever go there. Maybe a REALLY fancy event will get some bare escentuals powder foundationy stuff, but mostly IF I wear anything it’s just eye shadow and mascara. And good ol fashioned chapstick.

23. Miss Grace says:

I don’t wear a lot of ‘face’ makeup cuz my skin is very sensitive and if I wore foundation every day I’d just have a lot of zits. I do it for special occasions and stuff.

The only makeup I wear EVERY DAY is eyebrow pencil. I’m naturally blonde, and since I dye my hair darker I have to color my eyebrows in to blend.

24. I rarely wear makeup. I rub my eyes and pick at my face too much, that all attempts to beautify myself are botched within 10 minutes.

Although I will pull myself together by slapping some on for church or any other special event.

The problem is I feel like I don’t know what I’m doing. I can’t even properly apply eyeliner for goodness sake!

I didn’t wear make-up regularly until a few years ago, either. I tried a few times in college, but I tend to sweat really easily and I’d sweat it all off just walking to class. Plus, I apparently have sensitive skin and a lot of things made my face itch. Now, though, I wear Bare Minerals powder as a base, some eye shadow, and I recently started wearing blush. That’s it. I still have dark circles under my eyes which I hate, but I can’t bring myself to do anything about it.

I rarely wear it on the weekends, though. Especially if it’s super hot out!

26. Cheryl says:

I have a makeup routine but I actually switch it up more for daytime/nighttime than weekday/weekend. And sometimes out of laziness or rush, a step or two gets skipped. I wear pretty much the same amount, although unless for night, I’ve pretty much eliminated eyeliner…

27. deutlich says:

I swear, I HATE wearing make up to work. Unless I’m on the Hill for some event, or taking pictures for our publication? I’m about 90% less likely to bother with it.

28. Ray says:

I, like others, don’t ususally wear a whole lot of makeup to work because I am a lazy bum and I can sleep 15 minutes longer. I stick to a little blush and mascara. However, I would like to learrn how to play it up a little more for a “going out” look.

29. Allison says:

I love being tan with no make up. When I’m on vacation, I primarily never wear makeup. I also never wear make up at the gym!! Nothing is worse than a melting face at the gym or beach.

30. Abby says:

I was big on makeup in high school and college, but now not so much. I work in a pretty relaxed environment so I only wear it when I have a meeting or event. I was an early bloomer in every sense, so I guess by now I’m just over it. I do still like to get dolled up occasionally though.

31. Shannon says:

I LOVE makeup and pretty much wear it whenever I leave the house. I’m not a fan of my uneven skin and red nose and cheeks.(wait, maybe that’s because of the booze:)

Anyway, I used to think I should have a seperate “daytime” and a “nightime” look bc I probably shouldn’t wear as much during the day. But then I realized I liked my nightime look much better so now I do it all the time and I don’t care! Go me!

32. Jackie says:

You are beautiful! I used to have a make up routine. I wouldn’t go anywhere without make up because I have such bad skin. But finally one summer, I vowed to go without make up and I did it. Now I’m out of the routine. Sometimes, when I have the time, I’ll do a whole face of make up. Othertimes I’ll just throw on some powder and mascara, and sometimes I’ll wear nothing. It’s so liberating to not force myself to wear make up anymore!

33. Paula says:

I tend to be heavy on the eye make up and light everywhere else. I hate heavy foundation, and dark lipstick doesn’t suit me. To be honest, I think I’ve worn less make up as I got older.

Makeup… well, to work I wear powder, a bit o’blush, and subtle eye make-up. If I’m going out on the town for a bachelorette party or some such, I’ll change the look up. I don’t wear foundation anymore or a lot of heavy make-up as I like who I am without it. I had to wear a ton of concealer in high school thanks to stupid pimples. I avoid concelear like the plauge now!

35. Maxie says:

I actually never wear makeup to work. It’s out of pure laziness and being cheap.

36. Andhari says:

You shouldn’t feel insecure, you’re pretty without make up too. And I like your skin. Anyhoo, I definitely like not wearing make ups, especially if I have to go to school so early in the morning and lazy about it :p

But if I go out I usually put some, eyeliner is a must and I feel naked without it. It makes my eyes sharper somehow.

37. lbluca77 says:

Sometimes I won’t wear makeup all weekend, then Monday morning when I put it on I feel and look different. It’s like my face enjoyed the break and is paying me back by looking extra nice.

But I love makeup. I love to play with it and different looks. Smokey eyes with pale lips. Or red lipstick and just mascara. It’s like playing dress up on your face.

I agree with the others, you look beautiful without makeup.

38. Lorrie says:

I can totally relate to this. I wear makeup every single day. I have a routine that is more time consuming and one that is less time consuming, but rarely go without doing either one.
    When I don’t wear makeup people around me ask me if I’m tired or sick.
    Wearing makeup for me, makes me feel put together and more attractive, which makes me feel a shallow.
    This has no point, other than to say you look lovely either way.

39. I hardly ever wear makeup and for that I am blessed. I wear one color of eyeshadow and black liquid eyeliner if I wear anything at all. That is it. A lot of times I go completely without. I actually look odd if my makeup is completely done. Embrace it!

40. ceecee says:

It feels so good just to go au natural! I started wearing make up after high school…I have some red spots on my face due to the huge amount of acne I used to have in high school.

My make up consists of oil-free foundation, a bit of eyeshadow to add some color on my lids, and lip gloss. I don’t do the blush or bright eyeshadow or liquid eyeliner…I like to wear “quiet” make up. :)

41. I used to work for Clinique and own TONS of makeup since working there. I LOVED working in cosmetics and trying to figure out different makeup styles and shades I would try. Now I have an office job and wear very little makeup – but still love to play around with it for weddings and parties.

42. I don’t wear much make-up. I’ll put on some powder if I remember, and eye shadow if I feel like it. I’ve just never really been into it. Plus, I work outside with little kids and nature! It’s not logical.

I’ll echo Maki’s compliment: You look beautiful without make-up!

43. Maki says:

I tend to wear a lot of makeup also, and JT hates it. He tells me I don’t need it, BUT, I’m so used to having makeup on my face, if I see myself in the mirror without it, OH MY LORD, I almost faint!!! The mirror would crack too!!

But I know many men like their girls to wear less makeup – so, I am trying to learn how to put a lot of makeup that would look natural.. Make sense? LOL

You look beautiful without it, by the way!
    xoxo

I don’t wear a whole lot of makeup. I love make up and have a lot of it, but it really just depends on how much time I have to get ready. Most mornings, sleeping in an extra 15 minutes out weighs the makeup routine. Even then my routine is fairly simple.