27 August 2009

Surprise!

Yeah I don’t like them. Well I shouldn’t say that, I’m always…skeptical around them because in my past experience, they haven’t lead to good things.

Like, “surprise! you’re failing sociology” or “surprise your ex boyfriend is gay.” Not good things.

Much like I don’t care for conversations that start with “I have to tell you something” or “come into my office and close the the door.” NO THANK YOU.

I think the reason I don’t care for surprises is a whole lack-of-control thing and by not knowing what’s going on or coming up, I can’t prepare or prevent it, if necessary.

But, as part of my new 30-something attitude of “relax!” and not taking things so seriously, I’m learning to embrace surprises and not fret as much if they’re not good ones.

For example, this week I got TWO surprises, both of which were awesome and actually, I’m glad I didn’t know about them ahead of time.

Wednesday’s surprise was a sweet birthday care from Renee, which just said “Happy Birthday” but was such a wonderful surprise when I opened up my mailbox. And I’ll say she has good karma because a bill wasn’t in mail that day either!

And on Tuesday, a package arrived for me at work, which I was not expecting at all. I thought our mail room was confused when they delivered it but nope, there was a box, with my name on it, from Anthropologie.

And my first thought was, “sh*t did I get drunk and go online shopping again?”

Don’t judge, it happens!

But fortunately that wasn’t the case because it was a belated birthday gift from my dad, who remembered a necklace at Anthropologie that I was SALIVATING OVER a few months ago. Apparently me touching it wistfully at the store resonated with him because he went, ordered it, had it gift wrapped and shipped out to me, all without spilling the beans.

He’s a clever guy and he totally made my day. One hundred times over.

My surprises!!

So my little moral from these situations is: surprises are good and bad but don’t close yourself off to them because the happiness you feel for a good surprise, is pretty awesome :)

What about you, do you like surprises?

1. Lollygagger says:

Aw, that’s so sweet! And me? I LOVE surprises! Love them! Of course not the bad ones, but good/fun ones? I’m all about’em :)

I LOVE surprises! To the point that, when my husband asks if I need anything inside the gas station when we stop, I tell him to surprise me. It’s kind of a sickness.

3. i like surprises like yeah, as long as they are good happy ones.

scary ones? not so much.

4. Hey there JessicaB, I’m SandyB. Enjoying your thoughts on here – just found you! Noticed you said “30something”… Just turned 29 and blogging about my last year in my 20s. Was just thinking today, “Hm, wonder if I’m the only 29 year old on 20SB”… nice to know there are others. Great post. Love surprises, but impossible to catch off-guard.

5. E.P. says:

Aww, how sweet! I like surprises, as long as they aren’t anything negative. Like the, ‘Surprise! I think we’ll be better off as friends because I don’t want a girlfriend’ isn’t one of these good surprises. But others? I’m definitely OK with.

And since my birthday is coming up, I hope I get one or two like you did!

6. Ali says:

Aw, so sweet!

I’m with you on surprises because of the whole lack of control thing. But you’re right, sometimes…it’s best to let go and relax.

I’m horrible at suprises, come birthdays or Christmas I’m that annoying person begging to give you your gift ahead of time or pestering you about what you got me! :)

8. blaez says:

i get freaked out when unexpected things happen… but i try hard not to freak out too much!

the only surprises i like are good ones and it appears you got alot of good ones!

9. Laurie says:

I hate surprises if someone is holding it over my head, but I do love little surprises in the mail! They definitely turn your day around!

Super cute necklace, by the way! My dad NEVER would have clued in that I was lusting over it by simply touching it!

i absolutely love surprises. i’m so gullible and oblivious so it’s really easy to surprise me. and um i love that necklace, so fierce. :)

11. Bing says:

I like surprises, as long as they aren’t bad. It’s always fun to have someone do/give you something you don’t know about.

Cute necklace!

12. MinD says:

Much better surprise than some, for sure, such as “surprise, up the butt.” That one is also not so nice (not that I know, but I assume).

13. I’m not that big on surprises, but I have always wanted someone to throw me a surprise party – at least once (I’m still waiting :)

That is a lovely necklace – yea dad!

14. Jenn says:

aww talk about a good surprise!!

15. jen says:

aww nice surprises for you! i usually hate them – i like to try to figure everything out. i was the kid shaking all the xmas presents and snooping around under my parents bed. and i ALWAYS figure out the surprises from the boyfriend. but he got me this year for my birthday and it was fantastic. so i agree – it’s best just to be open to them!

That is so sweet of your dad! That is the kind of surprise I like.

17. Doniree says:

I LOVE surprises, except when you TELL ME you have a surprise for me and then I have to wait. I HATE THAT.

18. I love surprises more than anything. Fun!

19. Jen says:

Awww, your dad is so sweet! Glad you had a good week!

20. Nelle says:

That is a gorgeous necklace!

I’m in the same boat when it comes to surprises. The lack of control sort of freaks me out a bit, but as with everything, it can be very good, too. Glad you’ve gotten two good ones this past wk :)!

21. Jackie says:

I love surprises, but I rarely get them anymore. My friends and boyfriend are all blabbermouths and couldn’t keep a secret to save their lives.

22. Andhari says:

I love surprises..on birthdays. They’re usually good..but outside of birthdays I share your skepticism.

Great necklace btw :)

23. Pam says:

Ooh, love the necklace! Those are great surprises!

I say I hate surprises, and I pretend to hate them, too…but I really like them. A lot. I just think it’s really hard to surprise me because I’m so darn nosy/annoying and ask a million questions if I sense someone is acting sketchy about something.

I think I’m just weird about surprises because of my 11th birthday. My friends at the time threw me a surprise party, but that whole week before they were being so mean to me and completely ignored me. I showed up at the one girl’s house really, really angry at them. But when everyone popped out and yelled “surprise!” I was so relieved/embarrassed, I burst into tears. And I never lived it down.

24. I actually LOVE surprises. I’ve always wanted a surprise party but, so far, no such luck :(

And that necklace? OMG so cute! Love it and how sweet of your dad.

I have mixed feelings about surprises as well. I don’t like the big surprises, like parties or a bill saying I owe X amount of dollars because someone miscalculated my city taxes. However, meaningful surprises like an unexpected fun package or card in the mail? I love those. Your dad rocks.

I’m not a fan of surprises because my responses don’t usually meet the expectations of the surprise giver! But those kinds of surprises? ROCK. Speaking of, please email me your address when you get a chance =)
    Lovely necklace, lovely thoughtful father. That’s pretty awesome!

27. Chelsy says:

“And my first thought was, “sh*t did I get drunk and go online shopping again?””

This sentence totally cracked me up. Perfect comedic timing, lol.

Seriously, though, gorgeous necklace. Your dad is so incredibly thoughtful. I could tell my dad or Scott exactly what I want and I STILL wouldn’t get it…so kudos to him!

I don’t like surprises either. I’m too much of a control freak!

28. AuburnKat says:

I’m with you…surprises are good and bad. Unfortunately if a man is involved usually the surprises are bad…

Although there are lots of wonderful surprises that I get thanks to my family and my friends!