20 September 2009

Weekend recap: grown up girl bonding time

Yeah, I totally stole that line from Enchanted, but the meaning around it here is totally different. Although I would like “grown up girl bonding time” with Patrick Dempsy. Meow.

Anyhow, as you all know, last week was kind of a tough one. And this weekend, I did something I definitely needed more than I thought I did: girl time!

It started Friday with a lovely dinner at Marche in the West Loop with some of my favorite co-workers (even though I felt like my throat was raw meat and I was running a fever by the end of the night) where we gossiped, laughed and enjoyed really good food. Perfect way to start the weekend.

Then Saturday night came the main event with several Chicago lady bloggers (and out-of-town guests). We gathered to celebrate pretty wine labels and each other, gossiping, hugging, talking about feelings, bad wedding stories and catching up.¬†Whether it’s having an awful boy-related week, preparing for a big week coming up job and and health wise or just talking about upcoming wedding plans, girl time solves any problem and provides all the support you need to go kick some a**!

That may be dramatic but with the right group, it’s true.

What else helps: wine shots and music. That’s right, you heard me, shots of wine, classy.

And after solving world issues and storing up on hugs, laughs and wine shots, the most epic thing ever happened: an impromptu dance party.

Oh that’s right, we danced and screamed/sang our hearts out to Bon Jovi, Glee, Gwen Stefani, The Little Mermaid (yes you heard me correctly) and the most epic of all songs to make my night: Sister Act.

I nearly died when that came on. Actually, I think there is video of us screaming/singing. Somehow, in my head when I heard us sing, it sounded TOTALLY different.

Anyhow, that party raged from 7 until 1:30 a.m. and I have to say, being around positive people who made me laugh, watched me dance (which looks like I’m having a seizure) and gave lots of hugs, gave me exactly what I needed after a tough week.

Girls night out solves every problem :) And considering last Saturday I was on my worst date ever, this was the best way to change Saturday night karma back to awesome.

Oh and we had cupcakes from a new (to me) cupcake place in Chicago, the Cupcake Counter. I will be checking that out one Friday post-work, the red velvet was tasty. You can see our spread below, yeah we went through 11 bottles of wine.

IMG_3757_2

How was everyone else’s weekend? Emmy fashion recap/awards are coming tomorrow!! So far, I’m loving Neil Patrick Harris, so adorable!!

1. Ali says:

This sounds perfect, absolutely perfect! Wine shots (?!) + cupcakes + music + fab ladies = amazingness.

2. MinD says:

I need to move to Chicago. Seriously. ASAP. Ha.

I did a wine power hour this summer – so shots of wine, one every minute for an hour – and I ended up drinking way too much too quickly. Made for a fabulous drunken night though!

I can’t wait to move up north so I can possibly meet some of my blog friends…there few and far between here in Florida.

i totally knew that was from enchanted right as i read it, haha. love that movie. and love girly weekends. the wine party sounded so much fun! i may have to steal that idea and hope that an impromptu dance party ensues as well, so much fun!

Sister Act songs? Why wasn’t I there???? Darnit!!! Sounds like a lovely time!

6. SoMi's Nilsa says:

I think no matter how life is going … whether you’re up or down, single or married … time with girlfriends helps you recharge. Glad you had a great time this weekend and put scooted some previously crappy times under the rug.

7. Courtney says:

I had grown up girl bonding time this weekend too–in a form of a sleepover!! It was great, we acted like we were kids and stayed up late watching movies and playing games in our pjs.

8. wine shots? that is the definition of classy.

Sounds like a great time! And really, it’s pretty difficult NOT to have a great time with 11 bottles of wine involved! :)

My weekend involved watching “I Love You, Man,” buying a new kitchen scale and a new 6-quart cooking pot, shopping for my upcoming work conference, cooking/baking quite a bit of food and buying a new bathing suit for Disney World next month. Oh, and jamming out to my iPod! Hope the neighbors weren’t watching through my windows. :)

10. Melissa says:

That sounds like so much fun! I want to come to a Chicago event one day :)

11. A few years ago I performed an amazing rendition of Freedom in my friend’s living room… at least that’s what I thought before I saw the video. That stuff always sounds better in your head.

I LOVE girl nights!! I am glad that you had a great weekend and it helped lift your spirits. One can never go wrong with a new cupcake place.

13. Paula says:

Sounds like a much more interesting weekend than mine! I spent all of Saturday in bed and then went to a Pussycat Dolls tribute act gig last night, where i drank way too much vodka and felt lousy this morning. Boo. :(

14. i hope that it was sister act 2 end song!

best. ever.

15. Andhari says:

Girl time always makes things better. There’s nothing else I want when I’m feeling down especially because of a boy drama than sitting with a few lovely girls, just drinking and chatting and laughing.:) dancing is really a bonus.

Glad you feel better.

16. Zoe Right says:

I do not know what girlfriend-less women do. Who do they talk to or drink with?

17. E.P. says:

Girlfriends are always the best people to have around, especially after a bad week. Last night sounds like it was absolutely AMAZING. Count me in on the next wine night!

18. Maki says:

Girlfriends are the best remedy for your sad days!!!

I’m so glad you had fun night with your friends!! (And I so wanted to see you dance, too!)

xoxo

19. Best night. Adore you.

ADORE.

This needs to be a more regular occurrence.

20. Lollygagger says:

Girl time ROCKS. Always! Glad it could cheer you up! :)

21. jenn says:

oooo wine bombs – my favorite! :)

and seriously – sister act?? as in “oh happppy dayyyy (oh happy dayyyyy) when jesuss wasss.” because if you got to sing to that while drinking wine; i am INCREDIBLY jealous!

and those cupcakes look fantastic.

22. Jamie says:

Girl time was definitely needed after the week I had. It definitely made everything better.

I’m so happy you came to my party :)

I love wine shots. It’s seriously my new favorite way to drink wine! Thanks for all the hugs and awesome dancing. :) The spontaneous dancing made my life.