24 September 2009

I am a child when I get sick

Tagged: family, Random

When I was a kid, I used to get sick a lot. Allergies, mono, strep throat, flu, you name it, I got it. I was like a magnet for germs. And I rarely got to stay home from school, which installed a “go to work/school no matter what” mentality for me.

My friends who have known me for awhile know that I rarely take sick days or go home early.

And since I’ve been out on my own, I haven’t really needed to take a lot of sick time because *knock on wood*, I’ve been overall pretty healthy.

But I now notice that when I do get sick, I go DOWN like a sack of potatoes and instantly morph from being an adult into a child.

When I get sick, the following things usually happen:

• I forgo any sense of hygiene outside of brushing my teeth (showering? optional)
  • I stop picking up my house and it becomes littered with cups, tissues and blankets that I’ve kicked on the floor
  • My level of annoyance about things goes up by 100 percent
  • I retreat to the couch and lay like a beached whale on it with the remote dangling in my hands
  • I turn to napping (which I never do, so that’s another sign of illness)
  • I start to complain…a lot

The complaining part is actually kind of funny (once I’ve recovered) because my dad will call to check in on me and he really is talking to a child.

For example, I’ve been sick lately and when I went home from work yesterday, our conversation went something like this:

Dad: How are you feeling?

Me: Icky *sniffles*

Dad: What does that mean? Sore throat? Cough?

Me: Icky means icky, I’m just really run down and feel like crap *whimpers*

Dad: What are you taking to feel better?

Me: Stuff, I dunno, ibuprofen, cough drops, water *pouts*

Dad: Okay well get some rest and I’ll check in with you later

Me: I don’t like feeling sick, can’t you come take care of me and make this go away *bats eyelashes, even though we’re on the phone*

Dad: No, get some rest

Then I’ll usually hang up the phone in a huff and go back to watching TV.

I know, I’m so mature.

Are you like this when you get sick or do you prefer to just be left alone?

1. MinD says:

For me, it’s so dependent on how sick I really am. Just a cold? I grin and bare it. Feeling worse? I want nothing other than to lay in bed and do absolutely zip. If that means someone stopping by to walk the dog for me, so be it.

But regardless of how sick I am – barely or full-on – my social life turns off. I just want to sit home. Even with my sore throat today and general meh-ness, I have no desire to do anything tonight other than channel surf.

2. Em says:

I know exactly what you mean…I’m a horrible patient. I hate HATE being taken care of, but I definitely do not try to take care of myself when I’m sick either lol.

When I had ear surgery, I couldn’t even brush my hair so mom had to stay with me for a week. We fough a LOT, but just imagine what would have happened if she hadn’t been there…hang in there sister

3. I do the same things. I am a baby and want someone to take care of me. Preferably Kieffer Sutherland.

I do all of the things you do plus I sometimes whine for my mom – even though I live alone and no one hears me :-)

5. thegirlin3k says:

I’m the biggest baby when I get sick. But, I really like being left alone when I’m sick. The worst part of being sick is that I’m not really good at staying home and laying low. I really have to make myself sleep and rest. Hope you’re feeling better!!

6. Miss Grace says:

Aw. I get like that too. Except I have to maintain some basic level of home for my child. But I DON’T WANNA.

7. Dyala says:

Hello sick kid :) I used to get sick all the time, but I use the time in the house to finish some reading,talking on the telephone (I love my voice when it changes) & finishing my researches online..
    there is strict policy in our house when someone’s sick everybody else is nice to him..so I get a royal treat :)

8. misery loves company.
    when I’m sick I’m total MISERY.
    ..my husband’s the company.

It depends on what kind of sick I am. With a cold or sinus issues, I become surly and want to be left alone. When I have the flu, I want someone to bring me juice, make me food (provided the thought of food doesn’t make me want to vomit) and pet my hair while telling me they love me. :)

I hope you’re feeling better, especially for all the fun things you’ve got planned this weekend!

i’m pretty sure we’re the same person when we get sick. i did all of that on wednesday, sad but true, haha.

11. Lacey Bean says:

Oh I’ll fully admit that I am the worst sick person ever. I just want to curl into a ball with my blanket, and watch tv/be taken care of. Luckily Dave is pretty good at that, but my parents make fun of me all the time. Mom will baby me, Dad just laughs. :)

Feel better!!!

12. Paula says:

I’ve not been ill enough to necessitate me even being off work for three years but when i am, i like the sympathy!!!

Get better girl!!
    I’m like that too, I don’t move from my bed if i’m sick..well except to pee or poop, cause that would be gross.

14. Melissa says:

Ummm, let’s just say, I’m home sick right now and insanely pouty that my boyfriend isn’t calling to check up on me. Needless to say, I’m also a child when I get sick.

15. Allison says:

I’m very similar – I go down hard and fast. It only lasts maybe 2 days but I used to get serious sinusitis and it wasn’t fun.

I always get so frustrated because it always happens to mess up my plans.

I hate feeling sick…and my level of whine is directly related to how sick I feel. Generally, if it’s just a cold or sinus infection, I really can’t leave work, so I suffer through. Anything more intense, though, and I whine a LOT. And make Ted take care of me. This week, I have been lumping it up like the sick queen that I am!

Hope you are feeling better!

17. ray says:

I have been sick for about the last week…finally starting to feel better. John made me a “nest” on the couch which was comprised of pillows and blankets, and ottomans where I could store my kleenex, book, computer, remote, cough drops, and water. That is all I wanted or needed. :)

18. I am exactly like this when I’m sick. I don’t get sick often, though, and I can’t remember the last time I was that sick.

I also watch the worst TV when I’m sick. There are certain movies I equate with sicknees (Fern Gully, The Incredibly Mr. Limpet, and the 1985 made for tv movie-musical Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass..aka greatest Alice movie EVER). And soap operas.

19. Evie says:

Oops. Sorry! I pressed “submit comment” twice by mistake. What a dummy!
    xo Evie

20. Evie says:

I feel exactly the same way. And whenever I get sick, I really miss my mom.
    xo Evie

21. Evie says:

I agree. Feeling sick is the worst! And it really makes me miss my mom.
    xo Evie

22. Jenn says:

I’m totally the same way! I’m such a baby. When I was abroad, I got super sick and woke up at 3am in tears because i felt so bad and called my mom back in the states! luckily it was only 8pm (thank you time difference) but still — somehow talking to her made it a little better even though she was a continent away

23. Andhari says:

Understandable! I’m a big child when I’m sick too, low tolerance level. Cranky. Moodswings. Pretty pictures after all, lol.

I like to be left alone but somehow I need to be checked every few hour. Brought more water and fed :p

24. Thankfully I rarely get sick but when I do….I’m a HOT MESS.

I get weak, hygiene goes out the window and am just overall useless and in pain.

But my mom’s chicken soup has some magical powers and helps things a bit.

Hope you feel better soon!!

25. Lollygagger says:

I prefer to be left alone for the most part except if I’m really sick and it takes to much effort to get up from the couch. But still, I totally revert and my mom is the one person I always wish was around when I’m sick. Isn’t she lucky? ;)

26. Iva says:

ewwww being sick is horrible! BLEH! I can’t stand it! It drives me nuts!

27. Widget says:

Getting sick is annoying and like you, I become a great, big, whimpering, untidy slob on my couch.

Depending on what sort of sickness, I generally cannot watch anything to do with food on the tv. It’s amazing how much has to do with food on tv!

Like you, I’m so rarely sick. I try to tough it out and just keep on trucking. Last Christmas, though, my husband and I both got a stomach virus at the same time! It sucked because neither of us was able to take care of the other one. I really just wanted someone to bring me what I wanted when I wanted it and then leave me alone.

29. i actually do take showers when i’m sick. usually late afternoon, but i still do. it helps feel better. less germy. but i’ll admit i regress to being a kid too. being whiny :) but naps are the best remedy along with the showers!

i would much rather be left alone. I retreat to my bed, stay there suffer in silence and try to shut out the world.

I hope you’re feeling better!

31. Booo. I dislike this immensely and need you to get better ASAP.

Big hugs :)

32. jenn says:

i’m a huge baby. i whine a lot – get super childish, make my husband get me milkshakes from mcdonalds, i dont move from the couch, do not shower, etc. the whole bit.

aside from my husband though – i don’t want ANYONE to see me when i’m sick. i look like a sea creature!

33. I am on the tail-end of a nasty cold (it was so bad my advisors forced me to go to the clinic to get checked out for swine flu. ugh)…

I am a total baby when it comes to being sick. I whine, I sleep all day, I whine some more. I’m surrounded by dirty mugs with leftover tea, tissues line the entire trash can, empty medicine boxes clutter the desk.

You are totally not alone in this. Colds are the worst.

34. I am a huge baby when I get sick.

I want to be curled up in bed, videos playing, hot tea or honeyed water with lemon started, and being pampered like one.

I also want special food brought to me! :)