25 October 2009

Weekend recap: Kitchen adventures (with pie and cookies)

Tagged: Food

Happy Sunday everyone!

Do you know what I’m doing right now? I’m sitting in my apartment on the couch with a big grin on my face, patting myself on the back. Why?

BECAUSE I BAKED THIS WEEKEND (and didn’t burn down my apartment).

And if you know me IRL, you know that this is an epic occasion.

I went through a minor nesting phase last weekend and got the baking bug and it would not go away until I made a pie, successfully, in my kitchen…with my own hands. And my choice was simple: apple pie. It’s my favorite kind of pie (since pumpkin is definitely out).

When I made my baking announcement, friends quizzed me to ensure that I meant I would physically prepare this myself and not buy it from the store pre-prepared. They know me too well, but I was not messing around.

So Saturday I went to the store and encountered a milestone: I bought a pie tin, flour and sugar. Another sign of true adulthood.

And with some help, I went through several apple pie recipes before settling on this one from Allrecipes.com. It seemed easy enough, which is the perfect way for me to start.

So here’s the end result, it makes me tear up because it’s so pretty:

IMG_3861

And then because I was on such a role with the pie, I made red velvet cookies too (courtesy of RC) and those turned out awesome too:

IMG_3865

Now because I’m a perfectionist, I already seen a few things I would change on the pie from a presentation standpoint, but I’m not going to let that take away from my accomplishments because I’m giving myself an A for effort!

Yeah I feel like pretty hot sh*t right now. And my book club and co-workers are going to love me because I cannot keep this stuff in my house (more on that tomorrow).

How was everyone else’s weekend? Has anyone else been bitten by the baking bug?

Feedback on Thursday’s post: I want to say a big thank you to everyone who commented on Thursday’s post about change. I was really blown away by the personal stories people shared and advice you all shared. Everyone made a lot of good points and I’m really glad I’m not the only one at this kind of crossroads. You guys are so awesome!

1. blaez says:

we love to bake! we bake all the time! our tummy shows it :( but its funner (not necessarily cheaper) that buying pre-made!!!

2. E.P. says:

Oh, YUM! Whenever the temperatures cool down around here, I am immediately bitten by the baking bug. And I really want to bake an apple pie now.

3. Andrea says:

Such a pretty pie!

4. MinD says:

I always feel awesome after I bake, so accomplished and very adult-like. But um, the pictures won’t load for me so I can’t see your success. Bummer. =(

5. Those cookies look fucking AWESOME, lady.

6. andhari says:

NICEEE! That really looks good, you gotta teach me how to make a simpler dish next time that I can put on practice without burning the kitchen down. Seriously, even with popcorn making I still tend to make incidents :P

um yum and yum! nicely done jess. i’m always proud of myself when i don’t burn the place down either, feels good right?

8. Hal says:

How excited am i that i’m in your book club?!?! :)

9. phampants says:

By any chance is there still a slice of pie left? O:-)

10. I’m moving in with you. Just a heads up.

11. SoMi's Nilsa says:

Between your pie and cookies and the homemade butternut squash ravioli Sweets made, we could’ve had one knock-out meal!

12. Jersey says:

Yay! Apple pie is one of my favorite things to make (and eat!).

A fun tip- if you make an egg wash and brush it lightly over the top crust, then sprinkle it with sugar, it make the crust even yummy and sweeter!

Ok, I’m definitely making an apple pie this week thanks to you!

13. oooh that apple pie looks so yummy!! great job!

I did some “baking” with my mom this weekend too. We made pumpkin chocolate chip muffins using maris’ recipe for squares (I know, I know pumpkins) except I was doing more of the stirring and pouring (ok and sampling) than actual baking but I still helped.

most importantly, they came out DELICIOUS.

14. Rebecca_C says:

See….I KNEW you could do it. And its FUN! Glad you liked the cookie recipe. Next time we’ll conquer homemade pie crust (after we enlist TKTC for a group lesson).

Red Velvet cookies? I may need to have that recipe. I’ve never heard of them as cookies, only cupcakes and cake!

I’ve never made a fruit pie, since I can’t have fruit, but it looks delicious. Sounds like a productive weekend. =) Way to go!

16. jenn says:

super domestic – i’m really impressed! :)

those cookies look fabulous too. i’m a sucker for red velvet!

17. moonjava says:

Sounds like you had a great weekend! That pie looks really yummy…goes great with vanilla ice cream!

18. Kyla Roma says:

Looks great! Good work, lady! You’re so domestic!

19. Jamie says:

I’m not much of a pie person but those cookies look/sound amaaaaazing!

20. Bing says:

Oh yummy! Both the pie and cookies look amazing. You book club is lucky! :)

21. RED VELVET COOKIES?!? this is the second post i’ve red this morning mentioning red velvet – i think it’s a sign.

and nesting? eeeee gad i’m a big nester come fall. i just need more people to cook for.

22. Cheryl says:

What are the chances you want to Fedex some of that over here?

Great Job Jess, they look delish! I baked this weekend too but my stupid self forgot to grease the pans before I put them in the oven.

24. Elle says:

That pie looks gorgeous! Okay, now I’m hungry. And you’ve inspired me to start baking.

25. I am beyond proud. I am impressed. Pie. Pie is the precursor to all primal pleasures.

26. Jessica says:

The pie looks DELICIOUS! Looks like we both had successful cooking weekends :)

One of my life goals is to learn how to make apple pie. I’m afraid of making the crust, though. Did you buy yours or make it homemade?

28. Lucy says:

Super impressed (and hungry!) They both look yummy!

29. Chris says:

bet those cookies are amazing. any chance that Madelyn can sneak some home for me tomorrow?

30. Liz says:

The red velvet cookies look DELICIOUS! This post inspires me to bake something.

31. TEM says:

Yay for baking! (and for feeding other people with the wonderful baking–I love to bake, but living by myself makes that dangerous, so my co-workers always love me)
    Both the pie and the cookies look great!
    :-)

32. Maggie says:

um you’re surely turning into a domestic goddess! look at that pie! how lovely!!

also I cannot wait to consume those Red Velvet cookies tomorrow. my tummy is already excited just from looking at them!

33. Maxie says:

WOO! Now you can bring me some, right?

34. Those look delicious! YAY for baking your own pies! Last fall I was on my huge baking kick and I loved it! Can’t wait to see more yummy treats from your kitchen!

35. Melissa says:

Oh. My. Gosh.
    I need those red velvet cookies immediately.

36. Shannalee says:

I AM SO PROUD OF YOU. A+

Jess!! Those both look simply fantastic! I am so proud of you. Awesome job. That pie had to smell fantastic while baking. I am going to make RC’s red velvet cookies for a Halloween bonfire with friends.