22 November 2009

Weekend recap: New Moon and more football

Happy Sunday everyone! I cannot believe it’s time for Thanksgiving but at the same time, I’m ready for a break from the city, basking in the scary quiet of the suburbs and one-on-one time with my parents. Well, at least for a few days :)

Anyhow, let’s get started!

Vampires, werewolves and shirtless action, oh my!

As you know, Friday morning at 12:45 a.m., TC and I were at the Chicago AMC theater with several hundred other Twilight fans to get our New Moon-on. We arrived at 11, thinking the line wouldn’t be too bad and were greeted with this.

IMG_3883

Holy sh*tballs

People must have arrived for the movie at 8 or 9 p.m. That is a level of hardcore I will never achieve.

Thank goodness for relevant reading materials to pass the time.

IMG_3886

Sadly, people didn’t dress in costume (we were easily the most casual people there), but the ladies got R-O-W-D-Y when the movie got started, clapping, cheering and gasping/screaming when Jacob and Edward were on screen. As expected, Jacob’s ab-action got the loudest response while Edward didn’t fare so well. I guess the ladies like a little meat on their men’s bones :)

And as a member of Team Jacob, I would look at that chest all day long. RAWR. I even said to TC pre-movie, “when I see Jacob without his shirt on…it’s cougar time.” I think we laughed about it for 10 minutes. Exhaustion will do that.

We got out of the movie at 3:15 a.m. and I walked into my apartment at 3:45 a.m., where I promptly went to bed and got back up at 7:30 a.m. to get ready for work. Kill me now. I fared pretty well during the day but crashed HARD Friday night. But, it was SO WORTH IT.

So what did I think of the movie? (non-spoilers below)

I loved it. It was much better than Twilight (like day and night different, aka better) and the things that really irritated me about Twilight weren’t so bad this time (minus Jasper’s unfortunate hair and Alice’s bad fashion sense.)

I also really loved the Jacob character. He was exactly what I imagined he would be and the scenes he had with Kristen Stewart had more heat and emotion than anything with Edward (sorry ladies). Maybe I like him so much because I identify with his character in a lot of ways, but he was great. And TC and I disagreed on a scene in the movie that foreshadows book four but we did agree that we’ll be back at another midnight showing for Eclipse on June 30. It’s on the calendar already!

Football with a side of soft pretzel

Lately, we’ve been really fortunate with good weather in Chicago. And by good, I mean not frickin’ freezing. And Saturday was a great day that included mild temps and sunshine. And that was the day I was up in Evanston with my parents for the Northwestern/Wisconsin game. Compared to the seats my parents and I are used to in Madison (50 yard line, 20 rows back), these seats were….not as close.

IMG_3891

I cannot believe that guy stood up in the middle of my shot. D-bag.

Whenever I go to a game, I always treat myself to a hot dog, soda and soft pretzel. That is my go-to for stadium food. I don’t know what they put in it (and don’t want to know) but it is awesome. And as it got darker and colder outside, the fans became bigger d-bags and my team started losing, I was ready to get out of there.

Oh college football, I love it but it will break your heart sometimes.

So did anyone else do fun stuff this weekend? If you saw New Moon, what did you think? Or what is your favorite stadium food?

1. Lindsey says:

i have not seen new moon yet :( but it’s on the list for this weekend hopefully!

my favorite stadium food is nachos. i cannot walk into a game without smelling and craving all that glorious cheese. and i dont even like cheese that much. but regardless, nachos it is!

2. Hot dog is a stadium must.

3. AuburnKat says:

I went and saw New Moon on Saturday. Oh my…Jacob! Like you, Jacob in the movie was exactly how I pictured him in my head. I’m leaning towards team Jacob, I think I can relate to him being rejected…

Team Jacob!!!!

Rachel and I are going tomorrow afternoon, and I can’t wait!!!

5. Megkathleen says:

I spent the weekend in Portland and went to a basketball game where I enjoyed my fave stadium food – Hot Dogs! Love ‘em.

okay that is some dedication with that line, sheesh. but i’m glad you came well prepared with proper reading material and a good movie buddy to suffer through the work day with you, haha. but yes i gotta say i loved it too and jacob’s shirtlessness was a little hotter than edward’s but i’m still team edward. actually i’m just team twilight, i love it all.

7. I have nothing to contribute to the New Moon discussion but in regards to stadium food? pretzels ALL THE WAY. (and possibly a beer or two).

8. Bing says:

Man, your theater was packed! I went to an artsy theater, so I think that helped with the crowd control. I liked New Moon a lot more than Twilight (even though it does get better the more you watch it).

I was also not a fan of the running through the woods scene – super corny! I felt like the Vamps, especially Edward, looked extra pasty and cakey from the white make up. It looked a little less weird in Twilight.

Team Jacob, eh? I don’t think we can be friends any more! (j/k). He is pretty to look at but he just doesn’t cut it for me. He’s not passionate enough and it seems he just wants Bella as a possession/to piss of the “palefaces.” Anyway, stadium food! YUM. I love the fancy nachos they have. So bad for me but so YUM. And hot dogs are always good as well. Sounds like a great weekend!

10. Pam says:

I LOVED New Moon. It was like a million times better than Twilight. New Moon was my least favorite book, but I loved how the story came across on screen, especially the depression scenes. And normally I am not a Jacob fan because he gets way too whiny in the third and fourth books, but I loved him in this movie. His body was amaaaazing. Plus, Edward looked a bit crusty at the end (though I’m still a proud Team Edward fan). I want to go see it again!

11. Cass says:

I’m a total sucker for garlic fries at a baseball game. Well, that and any of the food in the premiere level because they make you full meals with pasta & chicken. :-)

My go-to used to be the garlic fries & a Mike’s Cranberry Lemonade but eventually I wised up and started grabbing a beer like the rest of the stadium.

12. I had my New Moon with a side of margaritas, and it was the BEST IDEA EVER. We went with our knit group… and we had a blast. It was better than Twilight. I can’t wait until Eclipse, though!

13. Ben says:

I still thought it was a silly movie. The strange flash-forward Vampire Gap ad as they run through the forest? RIDIC.

14. Suz says:

I saw New Moon on Sunday. I thought it was better than Twilight too, although they still had a few ulta-cheesy parts in there.

As far as fav stadium food? I’d have to say I love a soft pretzel too!

15. I think I’m Team Esme.

I went at midnight as well. I liked the movie, but I didnt love it. I thought it was in some ways better than Twilight, but other ways not so much (I think the music flowed much better with the scenes in the first movie). I’m glad that I went at midnight, but we didn’t have to contend with such a huge line and the crowd was relatively tame.

17. i saw new moon and i liked it! and jacob, holy crap do i think inappropriate thoughts when i see his body.

and those thoughts aren’t just inappropriate, they are ILLEGAL! hello minor.

oy vey.

18. I’m totally Team Edward but I cannot deny that Jacob was effing hot in the movie. And it was WAY better than Twilight. Less campy, better acting. I think the new director did a lot of good.

19. bianca says:

New Moon was SOOO good!!! I went at 11 a.m. on Friday morning and the theater was packed – I couldn’t believe it! But it was much better than Twilight and I actually didn’t hate Kristen Stewart this time around which means something. And Jacob…yum.

20. Allie says:

I thought the movie was a bit corny. Could have done with a little less dramatic slow motion. And the makeup makes all of the vampires look gray and weird. But alas, I’m sure I’ll see the next one.

21. jenn says:

wow – thats insane!!! i’m so jealous you saw it though – i really want to. and i’ve heard this one is so much better than twilight and kristen stewart is a lot more bearable as bella, which is good because i could not STAND her in the first one! :)

I’m so glad I’m waiting until December 12th to see the movie. I just do not understand waiting in a huge line to see a movie. Sorry :-)

Mmmm, soft pretzels. Easily one of my favorite foods.

23. Caroline says:

For football or hockey: nachos!! One weekend, I went to a hockey game on Saturday and had nachos, then I went to the football on Sunday and had no idea what to do with myself in terms of eating :( It was quite sad. I made my mom go get me pizza.

Baseball, though, is all about the hot dog. And maybe fries.

24. barbetti says:

GAH. I’m sooooooo envious of everyone going to see New Moon. SO envious. I’m full on Team Edward, even though my husband is more like Jacob in personality. My inner 13 year old is so excited to see the film.

25. WOW! I thought the Sex and the City premier was hardcore, but that is impressive! I am so excited to see the movie tomorrow night, especially after reading this!