29 November 2009

Weekend recap: Thanksgiving food insanity and shopping!

Happy Sunday everyone. Yikes this long weekend went fast. I barely even know what day it is anymore. Right now, I’m reporting to you live from my living room, where I’m currently in my third day of comfy pants. It’s amazing how fast regular pants change from fitting to not fitting over the course of Thanksgiving.

But I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and stuffed yourself until you could barely keep your eyes open.

I know I did!

Alrighty, I’ve been gone a few days so let’s start recapping the fun.

Sweet baby Jesus more food?

I love home-cooked food and Thanksgiving is the Super Bowl of food in my house. A close runner up is Christmas.

And because I have two Thanksgivings in one day, I took Twitter’s advice and rocked the leggings. And thank goodness I did. Without them, I would have been walking around pantsless by 3p.m. Don’t worry, I would have had underwear on. But Thanksgiving #2 in just underwear and a sweater would have been embarrassing (for others).

And the food this year (as always) was amazing. Turkey, fruit, green bean casserole, (super cheesy) mashed potatoes, Jell-O and of course, more dessert than I could handle. Good lord the amount of desserts almost outweighed the meals! And sadly, because we were mourning the loss of a local bakery, both mom and dad got cakes from it to say goodbye, which means my dessert was bumped from the roster.

I know, I’m disappointed too but dad specifically asked me to make them at Christmas so I will not be defeated.

Here are some pictures!

IMG_3906Lovely table decor

IMG_3897Super cheesy potatoes (hmmm cheese)

IMG_3898Turkey! There’s a good lookin’ leg up front too

Oh and I didn’t photograph the stuffing and cranberry relish. I’m not a fan of either one. I know, I’m a freak.

I even skipped an impromptu Thanksgiving #3 because the tryptophan was making me sleepy and I had to lay down and rub my stomach while watching the Beyonce concert on ABC (which was fab!)

Black Friday: Coupons and no mercy!

I’m not a huge post-Thanksgiving shopper. Something about massive crowds, pushing and being forced to make immediate decisions freaks me out, but we do have a nice Black Friday tradition in my family. Every year we go to the Kenosha outlet mall to begin our holiday shopping, but we only end up buying for ourselves. Oops!

Anyhow, this year, I was able to score a few cute things at good deals, including some shirts, two new JCrew necklaces and a new Coach wallet. Some of my bounty is below.

IMG_3918

My best deal: A $22 Banana Republic necklace rung up at the wrong price of $4. Win for me!

I also found a gorgeous purple dress to wear to my company’s holiday party this year. I love the color and it’ll be super flattering on my problem areas (aka my stomach).

IMG_3921

All in all, it was a good, relaxing weekend. But getting back into a routine this week is going to s-u-c-k!

So what about you? What was your favorite part of this weekend or your favorite Thanksgiving food? Or did you go shopping on Friday and score any good deals?

1. SoMi's Nilsa says:

This season I’ve been saying, purple is my new black. So, I like one of your purchases a little more than the others. Ahem.

Glad to hear Thanksgiving was a feast for you this year! I don’t like sweet potatoes or cranberry relish, so you’re not alone in the weird camp.

2. Allison says:

i love thanksgiving food. my favoirte holiday meal.

Can we talk about how you don’t like cranberries or stuffing? WHAT!

3. Dude. Get those potatoes in my mouth RIGHT NOW.

4. great purchases!! and now i want another round of thanksgiving dinner.

okay those potatoes look heavenly, i’m quite jealous. and that purple dress is adorable i’m such a fan of that color lately.

1. The cheesy potatoes look AMAZING
    2. I’m not a fan of cranberry relish or stuffing either, though my cousin made a tasty quinoa stuffing this year — way better than the traditional breaded kind.
    3. Tryptophan. Thank you. I’ve been trying to think of that word all weekend. Obviously didn’t care enough to Google it, but still nice to finally have the mystery solved :-)

I’m not a fan of stuffing, either. My mom gave up making it and now just buys it pre-made. It’s better that way :-)

LOVE the purple dress. Love, love, love it. I went shopping on Saturday and bought the only thing in the entire mall that wasn’t on sale: a smoking hot red satin dress to wear on the cruise we’re taking at the end of December.

8. phampants says:

OMG the cheesy potatoes look magnificent!

Props to you that you can do 2 Thanksgiving. 1 is more than enough for me.

9. loving the purple dress!! I was working at my soul-sucking retail job on black friday but it wasn’t as busy as everyone anticipated. (probably due to the fact that my store wasn’t having any major sales, except on snuggies)

I only have 2 people left on my christmas list, so I’m feeling pretty good (aka: not too broke) this year.

10. Bing says:

The food is my favorite memory from Thanksgiving! I love the turkey, stuffing and awesome gravy. I really think it needs to make an appearance more than once a year.

11. laura says:

Excitement! How good are sales?! Your meal looked delish!

12. Chelsy says:

I also made the wise choice to wear leggings this Thanksgiving, lol. Everyone complimented me on my dress and black leggings (instead of the usual jeans) but boy, I fooled them. Of course I didn’t wear that stuff to look nice, I wore it so I could stuff 20% more food in my belly. Ha!

Glad to hear you had a Happy Thanksgiving! :)

13. Maki says:

Oh man, that cheesy potato looks delicious – drooling!!!

My Thanksgiving was nice although Ju Ju got sick while having dinner.

Also, I have never hit Black Friday shopping before – I’m so tempted to go shopping every year, but I’m too nervous to step in to the unknown…. It looks like you scored pretty nice stuff :)

xo

14. jenn says:

ohhh the good old prime outlets. i would never have been brave enough to attempt that – you are a rockstar!!

we did no christmas shopping at all. because i am old and domestic, we bought a big mirror for our bedroom (one of those huge 6 foot ones that lean against a wall) and i ordered a water filter for our shower from home depot because wisconsin’s hard water is making me break out like a 13 year old. how exciting am i?? i know you’re jealous :)

We have a lot of desserts at our Thanksgiving too. So much so that a few of my little cousins started with the dessert table, prompting us adults to follow suit (because we HAD to get a piece of our favorite pie before the kids ate it all).

Outlet shopping is always fun! I agree, that dress will look fabulous on you, love the purple!

16. Kyla Roma says:

Oh love the clothes! I’m in desperate need of a new dress- you have a great eye, that will be stunning on you!

Be my personal shopper?
    Think about it? =)

17. Sounds like a good Thanksgiving! And look at all the stuff you got. We ventured out for Black Friday only for a moment. I too had a TON of food and actually wore leggings today because trying to stuff myself in jeans was not going to happen. Thank goodness for elastic waisted pants!

18. sounds like a good thanksgiving :) yay for all the food!

and the leggings made me think of the friends episode where joey eats an entire turkey on his own and wears his thanksgiving pants aka phoebe’s maternity pants!

19. Melissa says:

Love the clothes! There were some pretty amazing deals out there.. somehow I managed to finish my Christmas shopping! WIN.