14 December 2009

Loving leggings as pants

I like traditional pants. In fact, I wear them most of the time.  But lately, my love of pants has been altered slightly because I’ve started wearing leggings as pants and I LOVE IT.

And I owe this trend all to Lindsay Lohan….and my super stylish friends. For once, something Lindsay Lohan has done that has a positive influence. Yes, I still view adding the phrase “boo you whore” to my vernacular as positive too.

Anyhow, I’ve been a very late adapter to the leggings as pants phenomenon because I’m self conscious of my legs and I don’t wear many long shirts. When you’re petite and festively plump like me, adding long shirts to a short frame doesn’t work.

But after my stepmom bought me a pair of Hue cotton leggings last year, I’ve fallen completely in love with them and now own three pairs. I’ve love wearing leggings so much that I’m purposely building up my wardrobe of long shirts. Once you go pantsless, you can’t go back.

But I’m still confused as the “rules” of what to wear with leggings as pants. For me, I can only wear them outside if I have a shirt or dress long enough to cover the curvature of my a**. And I have junk in my trunk so it has to really cover it. For me, wearing a short shirt with leggings just looks like I’m going running or biking.

And the thing I love most about leggings: that they love me back when I’m fat or thin of just am too lazy to button/zip a pair of pants.

That is real love :)

What about you? Are you in on the leggings as pants trend? Do you wear them out with shorter shirts or how long is long enough for tops to wear with them?

My new “do:” Thanks everyone for the kind words about my hair! I’m so glad you all like it. My interns even commented on the bangs today. So did a stranger in my gym class. I’m still adjusting to shorter bangs, but I can rock it :)

1. Acquire the instance of cotton tights. These are typically perfect for those who are trying to find one thing warm and comfy.

2. LB says:

I wish I could wear leggings but I can’t because I’m a guy.

So I wear it when it’s somewhat acceptable — like athletics & working out. I often wear men’s exercise leggings to the gym or out on the jog or on the bike.

3. MinD says:

Not only do I not own a pair of leggings, I haven’t even tried a pair on. I have this fear of them making my legs look, well, ginormous… And that’s never any good!

Really, I’m a jeans, jeans, or jeans kind of gal. Perhaps it’s time to expand my horizons a bit…? But probably not.

I am not part of the population who can rock the leggings so I don’t even try. But, I say if you can, go for it!

5. E.P. says:

This post makes me happy because I’ve been contemplating this a lot recently. I love my leggings, but, like you, I want to cover up my ass. So I am trying to get some longer shirts/dresses to make this happen. But I basically need a new winter wardrobe soooo…. yeah.

I saw a girl at the craft store this morning who did NOT have on a long shirt/dress, and it made me sad because her ass was completely on display. That’s just wrong, no matter how skinny you are.

6. Rebecca_C says:

I’m surprised you don’t wear more long shirts. They actually tend to elongate the torso and trick the eye into thinking you’re taller. If I had my way, all shirts would hit mid-thigh. : )

7. Allison says:

I’m a repeat offender. I try to wear longer shirts and layer with light sweaters. I have two thick pairs (really thick) from Express from last year. My black and brown staple pants.

Ahh leggings are the best….and I still use my “boo you whore” too! :)

i’ve yet to rock leggings as pants, i pretty much wear them with dresses but i guess that’s the same as long shirts, i would just want to make sure my butt is covered up, haha.

10. Jessica says:

I adore leggings and I’m so glad you are loving the trend!

11. I do leggings with dresses but nothing shorter… I don’t think you can unless you have long skinny legs (which I don’t!)
    I saw a girl in a bar at the weekend who was wearing them with a normal t-shirt and to me it is just wrong…they are not to be worn like that unless you’re just plain wanting to show yourself off.

I just started wearing the “slouchy” boots so I’m clearly not at all ready to discuss leggings ;-)

In all honesty though, I wore leggings a few years ago before they were “popular,” and I felt like the odd woman out so I stopped wearing them! I guess I should get back into the swing of things.

13. You should ask your BFF Tim Gunn that :)

I would say your shirt should be as long as it takes for you to feel comfortable wearing just leggings below. Unless you like the naked look, in which case I can’t help you. I love leggings too — they’re so comfy — I operate on a “would you wear a skirt this short?” rule with my no-pants leggings wear.

14. love love love the leggings as pants phase right now. For fall, I’ve really been into “tents” (my way of describing big t-shirts) and leggings because it’s so easy and simple. and they’re so cute with the right pair of boots!

I’ve also really been into lookin at textured leggings that make them look a little more like pants, like denim leggings and such.

I think the last time I wore leggings was in elementary school. I used to rock a really sexy pink pair. ;) I’ve never worn them as an adult, although I’m not opposed to wearing them … I’m just lazy and really like the jeans I already own. :)

16. stealthnerd says:

Haha I have to say that your first line “I like traditional pants” cracked me up! I’m a shorty too and I have to say it’s not too hard to rock the leggings as pants. Since I’m short, most tees are long on me anyway so it’s easy to pair stuff but I always make sure to cover my derriere too!

17. Bing says:

I also love leggings! But I agree with you – they either have to be worn with a shirt or dress that covers your bum or they look trashy. And with short shirts, they definitely look like gym attire.

18. Lacey Bean says:

I havent yet embraced leggings as pants myself, but I do agree, the shirt must cover the derriere. :)

19. Lauren says:

I love me some leggings as well! If I’m attempting to look nice, I only wear them with longer shirts. But on Saturdays and when I’m studying, I definitely wear leggings with a sweatshirt or fleece jacket that does NOT cover my ass.

Jean leggings are my new favorite thing. And I love how much cheaper leggings are than jeans! If you’re going to wear them as pants, I think it’s worth it to spend a few extra bucks!

20. LOVE LEGGINGS. but i agree, shirts have to be long enough to cover by butt. also, if you like those hue leggings so much i might have to order a pair because the ones i got from spain and from forever21 just aren’t cutting it these days.

21. I’m with the others – I did the leggings bit when I was a kid. And I’m not kid anymore.

The problem with leggings in NYC is that EVERYONE wears them, and they don’t all wear them well. I see plenty of thin or athletic girls who wear them literally as pants. Honey, not a good look on anyone. I also don’t think it’s a particularly flattering look for bigger girls. It’s like tapered pants, but the Nth degree! I think Stacey and Clinton would be shaking their head, and Tim Gunn was quoted saying he hated leggings.

Not that you have to hate them, I’m sure you’re wearing them where they don’t look ridiculous on you because you have taste. But oh man oh man, I am not thanking Lindsey Lohan for anything until the girls of New York learn to put some clothes on…

22. SoMi's Nilsa says:

Unless you’re 5’10 and rail thin (which 98% of the population is not), in my personal opinion, leggings need to stay in the 1980s. Or at a minimum, need to be reserved for lounge wear at home. Yeah, I feel strongly about it, but I won’t hate you because you love them. =)

23. Andhari says:

I definitely love legging with butt covering long shirts and I can wear it ALL the time. Stylish and comfortable and give you endless ways to spice it up : belts, long cardigans, cropped jackets, ankle boots. I call it pure love!

24. jenn says:

love leggings – but ONLY if the shirt goes well enough past my ass. i’ve seen enough perez hilton to know that leggings are entirely more see-through than most people think they are – especially when a flash is used on a camera. no one needs to see my sexy victoria’s secret PINK undies with scotty dogs on them ;)

25. I wear them tons, mostly with tunic style tops. Most of the tunics are quite long. Mid-thigh.

26. ANG* says:

you know how i feel about this one. LEGGING 4 LIFE SISTA! (yeah, i really just typed ‘sista’ and i’m leaving it).

seriously though, complete comfort alllllll the time. i think you shirt/dress should cover your ass, but sometimes i go ‘euro’ and don’t give a shit. those days do not coincide with fat days, however.

27. Caz says:

Dude, leggings as pants is probably my daily uniform the second I get home from work. REALLY. And since I’m just at home with the boyf I wear them with all sorts of obnoxious things like my huge faded Greenday shirt from way back in the day. And then I feel like I’m in grade 2 again, because leggings and huge tops were actually cool then. Or sometimes I just wear them with tank-tops etc but again, only when at home.

As for in-public, I tend to wear them over long shirts. Like dress/jumper/tunic type things that are too short to wear sans leggings but too long to be a shirt.

28. phampants says:

“Once you go pantsless, you can’t go back.”

Amen sister. Amen.

29. for me i’ve also just jumped on the leggings train. i still won’t wear them outside of the house though because i don’t have long enough shirts and i don’t want to look like the hs girls i make fun of every day at school.

and also part of it, is i always wore spandex to work out in college for practice, so i feel like i can’t dress it up.

30. Heidi Renée says:

I haven’t worn leggings since elementary school, and I feel like it’s a look that won’t work for me a second time.

I own one pair of leggings (sans feet). But they were cheap and from Target and don’t fit very well. I bought them to wear with a sweater dress. I’m more a fan of tights under skirts or dresses. Actually, if I’m going to wear leggings or tights whatever I have on top needs to be closer to dress than to shirt.

But shorts with leggings? I rocked that look in elementary school all the time. I don’t really want to rock it ever again.

32. lbluca77 says:

Leggings are awesome. I love that I can still wear skirts and shorts, my summer clothes all year long as long as I have on leggings.