18 January 2010

Golden Globes fashion recap

Woooo! It’s officially award season, which means I become super fashion judgemental and share my b*tchy, catty comments with all of you!

So let’s kick this off by recapping the Golden Globes, my favorite of all the award shows (probably because people have gotten drunk pre-speech.)

Best/Worst Moments: Award show

Best:

• Host/presenter: Ricky Gervais – Hilarious, drinking a beer and shamelessly self promoting. Love it all
  • Quote: “It’s God crying for NBC,” said by Tina Fey during the NBC pre-show. So true. I hope NBC gets herpes for what it’s doing to Conan
  • Acceptance speeches: Glee cast, Sandra Bullock and Robert Downey Jr. A nice mix of silly, sweet and sincere

Worst:

• Presenters: Felicity Huffman/Mickey Rourke – Guess reading isn’t fundamental
  • Quote: “Give it up for yourselves,” James Cameron. Seriously, are you kidding me?
  • Commercial: Chrysler, thanks for inviting ME to keep watching the Golden Globes, which I was already watching on MY TV. FAIL
  • Acceptance speech: Anything with James Cameron
  • Camerawork: Too many moments to mention. NBC can’t even produce the show correctly? Who was controlling the camera throws?

Best/Worst Moments: Fashion

I have to say, this was difficult to write because I loved a lot of the dresses last night. But alas, I had to call out the ones that really shined and should have stayed at home.

Best dressed male/female:

I could not take my eyes off Penelope whenever she was on screen. Hair, dress, jewelry are all flawless. That’s a moviestar

Yes, I have a Glee crush on him, but the classic Hugo Boss suit can never go wrong on any guy

Best dressed couple:

They make anything, from the Gap and evening wear look adorable. Love Amy’s dress too

Worst dressed female (tied):

I have a feeling Tom Ford dressed her in this unflattering, shapeless ensemble and it breaks my heart

I love ruffles too but I don’t LOVE ruffles. Too much. Way too much. It’s like she sewed two frilly dust ruffles together

Best skank-free look:

Another great, age appropriate, classy look with a bit of edge. Also, I’m glad that she left the buttless chaps at home this time

An ode to Sham-Wow:

Hate the color, hate the overdone texture and that oversize bun (not shown). Not flattering but she could pick up any spills with that dress

Needs a reminder she’s not 20 anymore:

We get it Jen, you’re single, 40 and free. But I don’t want to see your “see you next Tuesday.” Sometimes covering up is classier than showing it all off

Dress doesn’t match body type:

She has an amazing voice but this full volume skirt just doesn’t work on her. Just because it’s De La Renta, doesn’t make it right

I usually love Tina’s choices but this skirt isn’t working for me or for her petite frame

Confused a nightgown with a dress:

We get it, you’re hot and a mom. Go back to bed or pump in the bathroom

Project Runway graduation:

Wearing Christian Siriano – Love the color and way it compliments her skin tone and hair. Ka-boom on the boobs too! Snap, damn

Best old Hollywood glamour:

Nicole’s choices can be hit or miss but the dress color and draping are great. Thanks for the nip outlines too!

LOVE this look. The mix of fabrics, headband and red lips are amazing. The more I look at it, the more I love it

Well the Oscars are up next and the judgement on that fashion will be much harsher than this. No mercy!

And sadly, I couldn’t include a picture of my dream man, John K, because all of them had Emily Blunt in it. I love Emily Blunt, just not with him. But he still looked hot (as always!)

What about you? Did you watch the Globes? What were your favorite parts or best/worst dressed? Did you love Ricky Gervias as host?

Review blog note: I also updated my review of The Lovely Bones this morning. Guess I was a little tired when I wrote it because I forgot to add some things :)

1. UGGS On Sale says:

Hello, Neat post. There is an issue along with your web site in internet explorer, might check this? IE still is the marketplace leader and a good element of folks will leave out your wonderful writing because of this problem.

2. Damien Kali says:

nice post , thank you for your efforts.

3. Thanks very a lot for this nice website;that is the kind of factor that keeps me going through out my day. I have been wanting around for this site after I heard about it from a friendand was thrilled when I found it after looking it on googlefor lengthy time. Being a avid blogger, I’m blessed to see others taking initivative and contributing to the community. I want to comment to point out my approval in your article as it is vitally interesting, and plenty of bloggers do not get the informationthey deserve. I’m certain I will come backand can unfold the phrase to all my friends.

4. colon disease can be prevented by the regular consumption of dieatary fibers and taking in lots of liquid _

5. hiv symptoms says:

Can I just say what a pain relief en route for hit upon superstar who truly understands what theyre talking concerning on the the web. You absolutely know how toward transport an topic to brightness and make it important. Additional public call for to study this and appreciate this side of the story. I cant consider youre not extra fashionable because you certainly have the gift.

6. i think Tina Fey is also pretty, she is a great comedian and i like the way she acts -`;

7. i guess Tina Fey is pretty too aside from being a good comedian,-~

8. First time i have visited this site.I have read this blog,i noted that there are mostly good points which increase the importance of the blog.Nice work.Keep it up to write more good information.

9. Extenze says:

Don’t waste your time on a man/woman, who isn’t willing to waste their time on you.

10. Thanks for the recap. I somehow forgot the GG were on last night (I KNOW!) and was looking forward to your post so I could see all the must-see fashions!!

11. P90x says:

I completely agree with your choices!

Augileara was completely classy…I loved it!

12. Acai says:

I don’t dislike James Cameron, I actually really liked Avatar, but I was sooo over him last night!! I loved Robert Downey Jr. and the Hangover guys… You got some great fashion taste sista!

13. Lots of specialists claim that business loans aid people to live the way they want, just because they can feel free to buy needed things. Moreover, a lot of banks present credit loan for different persons.

14. Never frown, even when you are sad, because you never know who is falling in love with your smile.

15. rs sale says:

16. Don’t cry because it is over, smile,because it happened.

17. And forever has no end.

18. Life is a pure flame, and we live by an invisible sun within us.

19. Tinay Fey is really good in impersonating Sarah Palin. Great Comedian.,”`

20. Acai Berry says:

hey buddy,this is one of the best posts that I’ve ever seen; you may include some more ideas in the same theme. I’m still waiting for some interesting thoughts from your side in your next post.

21. Kathleen says:

I just wanted to say your blog is one of the nicely laid out, most inspirational I have come across in quite a while. Thx! :)

22. Medyumlar says:

23. AnaFry23 says:

I strictly recommend not to hold back until you earn big sum of money to order different goods! You can get the loan or auto loan and feel free

24. Lucy says:

This–“We get it, you’re hot and a mom. Go back to bed or pump in the bathroom”–is quite possibly the funniest thing I’ve read in a long, loooong time! Hilarious!

25. Love the recap!

However, we have super differing opinions on January Jones’ getup! She alwasy seems so sour and unhappy at these things, too, which doesn’t help her outfit! (In my humble opinion!)

And Jennifer Morrison’s dress was HORRENDOUS. Plus her hair and makeup did not help the outfit.

Love your recaps!
    And I agree I didn’t like the girl from GLEE or Tina Fey’s dress

27. Red windbreakers are the hottest style for all-red outfit.

28. Ugh. James Cameron was a FAIL in every way possible!

as always, we agree on so much. i loved ricky as a host, i thought he was hilarious. and i loved amy poehler’s dress, so fun and bold and ah just perfect. and i surprisingly really enjoyed nicole kidman’s dress as well. lovely recap as always.

30. MinD says:

I didn’t watch the award ceremony, but I certainly looked at the fashion afterward, and you’re quite on point. Except, Aniston? I think she looks gorgeous, and even better at 40 than she did years ago. That’s just my two cents though, and it’s prob not even worth that much, ha.

THANK YOU for your comment about Halle Berry. I was reading something else this morning and a woman wrote that Halle was God’s way of saying how much love and care he puts into things and how she looked so fly in that dress. Um, no. That dress has issues.

Also? Can James Cameron please go away now? Kthxbye.

32. Daryl Callahan says:

I love your rehash of this. Well done. I am suprised that nobody mentioned how Cher seemed so zombie like and blah. She had no expression in her voice and it was awkward when she presented the award.

33. Ray says:

Totally agree with you on Chloe Sevigny’s dust ruffle look. It was NOT cute.

34. SoMi's Nilsa says:

Penelope Cruz was interviewed on 60 Minutes over the weekend and they described her as a modern day Sophia Loren. I couldn’t agree more. She was flawless.

I agree with most of your reviews. However, I think Jennifer Anniston looked stunning (if I’m 40, doing yoga like a champ and have a body like hers, I think wearing a sophisticated gown with a hot slit is totally cool).

And I loved Halle Berry, hot mama for sure. When she walked out on stage, both Sweets and I dropped our jaws and I yelled, “I WANNA POP BABIES AND LOOK LIKE THAT!!!”

35. RondaMarie says:

I loved Kate Hudson’s dress, I thought it was unique without being weird.

36. Jessica says:

I completely agree with your choices!

Augileara was completely classy…I loved it!

37. Angela says:

Isn’t it interesting how people have such different opinions on fashion? I LOVED Lea Michele’s dress. She looked gorgeous, and was easily my favorite of the night. I thought Christina Hendrick’s dress color looked TERRIBLE with her skin, hair, and lipstick — Big old mess. And I thought January Jones’ headband looked awkward and ridiculous.

38. Heidi Renée says:

I don’t think anyone liked Tina Fey’s dress! I also did not like Drew Barrymore’s. And Julianne Moore–trash bag disaster!

39. Maki says:

I missed it! I can’t believe I didn’t watch the show.. How sad – but I felt like I just watched the entire red carp show – thanks!!

xo

Oh, how I love Finn from Glee. LOVE.

Great recap! I didn’t watch them (I’m an Oscar snob I guess) but I feel like I was there!

41. Oh no! I loved Jennifer Anistons dress! I thought it was smokin hot! What did you think of Angelina’s nude colored and much higher cut dress from earlier in the year? I think JA’s black number is much classier!

42. Carissajaded says:

I look forward to your posts about the awards shows more than the awards shows themselves. I agree with your best/worst dress pics. Penelope did look stunning and Chole’s dress was just a trainwreck — way too many ruffles. Also worth mentioning — Ginnifer Goodwins hair! Loved it.

44. I didn’t watch it (I never watch award shows) so thanks for the review.

45. Great snarky post! Penelope Cruz looked stunning – LOVED her hair.

Halle Berry’s beauty leaves me speechless. I can’t even.

Ricky Gervais was “eh.” I thought he was going to be funnier.

And I loved Mo’nique’s, Meryl Streep’s and Sandra Bullock’s speeches.

46. lbluca77 says:

Hated Tina Fey’s dress. It didn’t look like she could sit normally in it. I loved the dress with the headband and red lips too. At first I wasn’t sure about it, but it really stood out.

Ricky Gervias as the host was great. So funny.