21 January 2010

Winter blues miss list

Today, I cancelled my Match.com membership. And really, I’m okay with it, even if I do feel like a little bit of a failure. I haven’t been putting in the time or energy to weed out potential d-bags and Prince Charmings and I need a break.

When it’s winter in Chicago, few people go out like they do in summer and dating is a lot more difficult.

But now that its cancelled for a few months, I realized that a small part of the winter blues are settling in and there are a few silly things I’m missing right now:

• Sunshine that actually warms your face and body
  • Crush-induced butterflies
  • Walks by the lake
  • Glee
  • Seeing hot boys wearing blue dress shirts and khakis on the bus
  • Not having to wear 2-6 layers of clothing to stay warm
  • Kissing a boy (or sloppy makeout sessions)
  • Grilling out
  • Slow dancing with someone you really like
  • The Office being actually funny and Grey’s Anatomy actually being interesting
  • Sitting outside and reading a good book
  • Skin-a-max in HD (Come on, you watch it too, don’t lie)

Hmm, after reviewing this list I’m either in heat or missing spring/summer. Maybe it’s time to start actually planning a vacation to address some of these missing needs.

Bringing home the bacon: 20sb bootleg

The 20sb bootleg award winners were announced yesterday and I’m so thrilled to share that my blog was the Last Chance winner!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

That’s right, I am proudly posting that badge on this post to show off how happy I am that I won (seriously, I’m beaming) and say a big thank you to everyone in the 20sb network who voted for me.

You made my week and you all get a big inappropriate hug the next time I see you. Be ready.

Has anyone else hit the winter blues yet? January might be a little early :) Or what are you missing right now? It can be on TV, from boys or anything!

Movie review reminder: The Lovely Bones review is still up and a new review will be posted this weekend!

1. Janalee says:

I miss being able to start my car without plugging it in the night before.

2. i currently have a butterfly educing crush on someone i’m not supposed to and it’s NOT GOOD.

also, can you make sure that next year I get the last chance award like you : )

3. I totally agree about Grey’s Anatomy being boring! The most exciting thing to me was when Cristina volunteered to give up Owen….

4. Is it spring yet?

Congrats on the award!

5. barbetti says:

Of course I voted for you!

And I miss summer like you wouldn’t believe. Sloppy makeout sessions are best when you’re sweaty, too. ;)

6. Congrats! I voted for you. :)

My absolute favorite part of Chicago in the summer is grilling out. I can’t wait to have big parties on our deck when it finally warms up!

7. Jessica says:

Congrats on the award!

I def. have the winter blues right now…blah. I miss Glee. I miss cute sundresses and sunglasses. I miss sitting outside with a cool drink.

8. Kyla Roma says:

Congrats for your win, and I miss everything summery on your list too.

To beat the winter blues this is what I’m doing:
    – Drinking hot chocolate
    – Adding a little cinnamon & cardamom to our coffee grounds in the morning
    – Having bubble baths

The little things really help with feeling pampered and not deprived =)

9. Stephanie says:

I definitely agree with having the winter blues. I want real sun! I especially want sun in the morning! It is so difficult to wake up when it is pitch black!

10. Ali says:

I saw your win! Congrats congrats congrats! A true honor. :)

i totally miss glee and reading outside too, this stupid rain has confined me to my car to read on my lunch break, boo.

and um congrats on the award, you most definitely deserve it, woo!

12. a well-deserved congrats to you jessica!!!

I was talking about what I miss about summer/spring with my friends recently! I miss sundresses, flip flops, having a tan, the sun sticking around longer, running through the grass barefoot, barbeques.

I hate winter.

It’s feeling warmer down here but last night we got ridic amounts of rain!

14. Rebekah says:

Yay! I voted for you and I’m so glad you won!

Oh, and I miss having warm toes.

15. MinD says:

Congrats lady!!!!

I wouldn’t say I have the winter blues – really, there’s not much “winter” like I traditionally know it here in NC – but I miss driving with the windows down, for sure. Other things, too, but it’s Friday and my brain has shut down.

I think the days of Grey’s Anatomy being interesting are long gone. BUT! Lost comes back very soon. WOOT!

I’ve always said that the reason February is so short is that people who live in climates that get winter would throw themselves off buildings if winter was any longer. I just want to be able to be outside without wearing so many layers!!

18. Ray says:

congrats on the award lady, you so deserve it!

I miss wearing really cute dresses with pretty little flats.

19. Allison says:

Oh, how I love grilling out, playing cornhole, and wearing very little make up because it’s too muggy to care.

Oh, and festivals, I love a good funnel cake.

20. SoMi's Nilsa says:

I generally don’t get the winter blues. I love the winter and that’s why I chose to live in a climate where winter is pretty much a guarantee.

That said, after last winter (which was, by far, the worst I’ve experienced in years), I threw up my hands in the air and said never again. With our neighbors, we planned a pretty kick ass vacation to Grand Cayman this March. And while this winter has been far from brutal, I’ve got to say, I’m looking forward to some natural Vitamin D.

21. highheelgal says:

Girl, I hear ya. I live in Philly and my MDC membership ends next week. I’m really not into dating right now, since I just got dumped 6 weeks ago, but everyone says it’s the “right thing to do in order to move on.” Going on bad dates with D-bags does not help me forget that the man I love did not love me.

And winter sucks…which is why I booked a flight down south for next weekend. Seriously, spring can’t come soon enough!!

22. L.C.T. says:

We’re only getting Glee for the first time over here. You can watch it all over for free by going to: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/glee/4od

23. Jen says:

I can’t stand these winter blues (I’m in Michigan, not too far from you). Currently I’m planning a Mexican vacation in April for my birthday. I NEED sunshine.

Congrats on the win! :-)

You definitely deserved the last chance award. definitely. congrats!

Winter Blues? heck yes.

Sunshine would be nice.
    Or the ability to wear flip-flops.
    Outdoor music festivals.
    Farmer’s markets.
    Being able to walk my dog without having to bundle up excessively for a short trip around the cul-de-sac.

25. Rach says:

I’ve always been a bit hesitant about the whole online dating thing. I had a friend who did it a while back and she had so much hassle from it! She met so many guys who sounded amazing on paper (or the web, in this case) but in real life, were complete d-bags! Did you find this?

26. Andrea says:

I miss not having to bundle up like the little brother in A Christmas Story just to walk ten feet to and from my car.
    I’ve found game and movie nights are best at combating the winter blues.

27. jenn says:

congrats again on your award – so exciting!

and what? can’t you get skinamax in the winter? :)

28. Andhari says:

It’s been raining a lot here too. I doubt it’s as cold though. Do people not go out even to bars or clubs or lounges when it’s cold there? I think a lot of hotties can still be found, no? Lol.

29. Maki says:

I understand about the winter blues – I think living in the cold climate does that to everyone…

Congrats on your winning – save your energy and get back to the dating scene when you’re all charged up. Chicago will be ready for you!!

xoxo

I also get the winter blues. Not seeing the sun for days is my downfall. I usually use the time to catch up on movies I’ve missed, recipes I havent tried, and just other general activities that dont require me to leave the house and go out in the cold. =)

31. Lindsay says:

I live in California and this is the wettest winter ever. I know we’re spoiled here most of the time with sunny weather, but this rain is insane. I can’t wait for spring!

I’m so with you on the winter blues. Sun that warms my body sounds just heavenly.

33. Chris says:

I miss getting up when its light out, being able to wear shorts, and generally not feeling like I’m 1/2 frozen 24 hours a day.