31 January 2010

Weekend recap: delicious food and sales

Tagged: Food, shopping

Happy Sunday everyone!! Tonight I’m taking about food!

I love going out to eat but I don’t do it very often because I’m cheap. Depending where you go, dinner plus drinks can become an expensive night out. So I save most of my “dinner nights out” for the weekend. I look at it as my treat after bringing my lunch and making my own dinner Sunday – Thursday.

I get so excited about it that I’ve been known to make lists of restaurants I want to go to. So yeah, going out to eat is a big treat.

And after I was told that I had to lose some weight, I stopped going out to eat because it was harder to track my food and find the right items to order on the menu.

But lately, I’ve had the urge to dine out again and this time, I embraced it. I’ve been really good at going to the gym, so a little treat is necessary.  And it was all delicious.

Here’s a weekend food recap:

Wakomono: Stone crab, spicy salmon and Peter Parker maki rolls (my friend Ryan was getting fussy so he started eating while I took the picture)

DMK Burger: Angus beef with Jack cheese, fried egg and bacon with a side of Parmesan truffle fries. Seriously, it was incredible.

Tarantino’s: Rigatoni with mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, proscuitto, peas, cream and parmesan cheese

On top of all this deliciousness and a healthy amount of walking to work part of it off. I took advantage of the extra 25 percent off at Gap, Banana and Old Navy with my card so….I went in and picked up two cute things for summer. Love the bold color on the shirt.

Silk blend V-neck

Colorblock striped scarf (I know, I’m obsessed with scarves)

Oh and I put together my Wii/Wii Fit all by myself! I’m not very good at wiring or setting up stuff like this so it was amazing that I did it, and promptly celebrated by sucking at Wii Tennis. Looks like I’ll be practicing a lot more.

How was everyone else’s weekend? Do you love to go out to eat? What are your favorite places? (Doesn’t have to be a national chain).

Shoe envy: Glad everyone liked the shoes I posted on Thursday! I plan to stalk the blue pearl/diamond ones to go on sale. They are too cute to pass up!

1. Lys says:

i really love v-neck shirts, mostly because my boobs are huge and i need the space it allows, ha.

also, i totally have that scarf in red, or one that looks just like it, from gap. i love gap. i should go there soon…

2. Andhari says:

Those look super yummy. I love going out to eat too. The places I visit the most are usually either sushi bars ( crunchy sushi rolls ftw!) Or italian restaurants. Or cozy dining places that serve good cocktails.

3. What a big bunch of yumminess!

4. AuburnKat says:

I love going out to eat but it’s been forever since I actually have. It’s extremely hard counting calories when you go out to eat too.

man those pics were not smart to look at while my stomach is already growling, haha. looks so tasty.

I LOVE eating out! It is one of my most favorite things to do. Somehow this weekend we ended up at two different Chinese places — Plum Garden, which is near me out in the suburbs, and Ed’s Potsticker House at 32nd and Halsted. I’m eating leftovers from Ed’s right now (fried rice with pork and kimchi and they are delicious!

7. I totally make lists of restaurants I want to try as well! that hamburger looks amazing and those fries…NOM.

8. Bing says:

All of that looks and sounds delicious! Yesterday we went to Richard Blaise’s restaurant Flip Burger Boutique and it was amazing, as always. I had a Korean BBQ Burger (with an American wagyu patty, braised short rib, kimchee ketchup, pickled veg, and crispy tempura onions) with panko & parmesan zucchini fries, topped off with a coffee and doughnut milkshake. Fat kid heaven, I kid you not!

We tend to eat out a lot, and I am trying to cut back a little.

I love that you have a list of restaurants to try! The number of restaurants in Chicago is so overwhelming that I think a list must be necessary. We hardly ever go out to eat (I don’t love it) but I enjoy hearing about restaurants.

I’m horrible at Wii tennis. I’ll stick to bowling, thank you very much :-)

10. SoMi's Nilsa says:

Sweets and I have seriously cut back how much we eat out. As a result, there’s a local sushi spot that I’ve been dying to try for months now and we still haven’t gone. Sigh. Guess I’ll have to live vicariously through your weekends out!

11. Kyla Roma says:

This month Mister and I have resolved to not eat out, we’re going to cook through the whole month…thankfully I had already booked a night out on Wednesday before we decided!!

Those fries look amazing by the way. My goodness…

12. jen says:

yessss i love going out to eat! especially in the winter because it’s much too shitty in chicago to try to look cute at the bars. i definitely make “to try” lists as well! you’re not alone and dmk is on my list. can’t wait!

my ultimate fav is probably el mariachi on broadway and roscoe. it’s adorable and delic!

part of my 2010 NY resolution was to try new restaurants. so far i’ve done izaru, duchamp, fireplace inn and meze. all get a huge thumbs up from me!

13. Daryl Callahan says:

When I come visit please make sure Maris takes me for those fries. I will dream about them til then!

14. Okay, so, I would totally give an organ for Parmesan truffle fries right now.

15. Maki says:

Oh man, they all look soo delicious!!! I love going out to eat – and I usually overeat too!

Great photos!!!

16. blaez says:

oh i love going out to eat! chinese, red lobster and olive garden are my weakness… oh and add in the outback and applebees please!

we started buying and budgeting our meals again. we were going out to eat nightly due to convenience but we were going subway instead of fancy. there are only so many subs you can eat before you want to blow up subways.

17. Lindsay says:

I would kill for some truffle fries right about now.

18. Heidi Renée says:

We love Cheesecake Factory, but haven’t been in a couple of months because we always end up spending a ton of money.

I get so frustrated when I use the Wii Fit that I usually give up and turn it off.

Those dishes look incredibly delicious. Going out to eat is one of my favorite treats, I don’t go out often though. When I do, I love to hit up this little place tucked into the historical section of a nearby town.

20. April says:

Oooh, I so need to try DMK. It’s super close to my condo and Hubs is a HUGE cheeseburger fan so we keep meaning to go but keep forgetting. Those french fries look amazing!

21. Oh my goodness, those meals all look AMAZING!!! I just love going out to eat–one of my favorite things about moving so much is getting to find and try so many awesome restaurants :)