21 February 2010

Weekend recap: Houston!

Tagged: Friends, travel, work

Houston, we have  a problem.

I’m back from a business trip and Chicago is supposed to get 7+ inches of snow over the next 24 hours.

Kill.me.now. Let’s hope that’s not a reality.

This weekend I went to the Lone Star state (first time!) for the Mom 2.0 conference where I got to see Katelin, meet Allison in person and make a new Twitter friend, Brittney.

And we did manage of spend some time together in the hotel bar, where we got a little rowdy talking about Dawson’s Creek, Twilight and pop culture. I may have also reenacted the birth scene in Breaking Dawn on my Blackberry cover too. And we may have been the loudest people there and screaming and hitting the table (in excitement) near Dooce and people on a date. That’s how we roll. And then we only got one photo together over the course of three days. FAIL.

But I did take a lot of random pictures because it was my first time staying in a Four Seasons hotel and ZOMG I would give my left tit to stay in another one. I cannot even begin to tell you how amazing it was. And it made me realize I might be grizzled, jaded city person.

Why?

Because the hotel service was amazing. I cannot gush about this enough. Staff always asked if I needed help, if I was having a good time, if I enjoyed my meals, pronounced my last name correctly, had turndown service, always smiled and delivered things to my room in the most timely manner I’ve ever seen. Even when my event had some bumps, people were there to help. I told everyone I ran into at the hotel how nice it was and how blown away I was by the service. The kitchen staff even brought food out to my booth for me and my co-workers to eat because we usually ate last or not at all. I mean, seriously?

So the jaded part comes in response to this over-attentiveness. The first day when people asked if I needed help, I said, yes or no, by day three, I was like, “why? what’s your game?”

How sad is that? People are trying to be nice and I’m thinking they’re doing it insincerely. I’m ashamed of myself and my city-attitude.

I’m going to be uploading my oodles of photos to my Flickr page over the next few days but for tonight, I leave you with a picture of me and my co-workers with the Chipmunks. Yes, you heard me correctly. And no, it’s not  coincidence I’m standing near Alvin :)

How was everyone else’s weekend? What is your favorite Chipmunk? Or what is the nicest hotel you’ve ever stayed in?

Review blog update: Gasp, I updated my review and it’s not a movie review this time! Check out my review of CoverGirl’s Lash Blast mascara.

1. Rebekah says:

I adore the Four Seasons… staying there for FREE with Eddie was amazing on our vacation. He has an awful work schedule, but vacations there are nice perks!

DD stayed at a Four Seasons in Philly for work awhile back and said it was phenomenal. I’m jealous of you both :-) My next work trip includes a stay at some very large and I’m sure very boring mega-hotel.

seriously it was just a great weekend hanging out and drinking wine and screaming about twilight, basically we are all sorts of awesome.

4. tmc says:

I’m glad you had such a good time!
    I worked a conference in Dallas last summer and I’d like to only return to Texas when it’s a REAL vacation. :)

Several years ago my Husband and I were visiting my family in Southern California shortly after we got married. My family wasn’t able to be at the wedding so they threw us a nice party. As a gift, they got us a room at the nearby Marriott. It wasn’t too fancy but it’s the room and place I most remember as being luxurious and restful.

5. Mega says:

Ha thats awesome. Sounds like you had fun. Allllvviiiin!

Oh Houston. At least you got to go when the weather wasn’t like hot liquid death. I seriously almost suffocated this summer in Houston.

“The first day when people asked if I needed help, I said, yes or no, by day three, I was like, ‘why? what’s your game?’”

Maybe it’s not a city thing — maybe you’re really an East Coaster! :) Seriously, it’s only been in the past few years that I’ve stopped questioning why Midwesterners are so nice to me. I always thought they had ulterior motives when really, they’re just nice by nature. It’s hard to get used to that!

BTW, Theodore is my favorite!

8. phampants says:

PLEASE tell me you took one of those chipmunks home.

9. Four Seasons Houston sounds AMAZING. For some reason, I can’t think of any great hotel I’ve stayed at. They’ve all just been alright. Hopefully, I’ll get a chance to have a similar experience somewhere soon!

(because I desperately need a vacation)

So this is most random, but when I went to houston for a conference I stayed in the Four Seasons and I totally loved it! The turn down service? The music? The lights? All of it! Most comfortable bed ever.

Also kind of jealous that you were *thatclose* to Dooce!

Glad you had a lovely time and really hope the snow thing doesn’t happen!

11. Rebecca_C says:

I’m not sure I want to ask this but, how exactly do you “reenact the birth scene in Breaking Dawn” on your Blackberry cover?

At first I was like “Why is Jessica going to a Mommy Blogger event?” But now I get that it was for work!

I don’t usually take advantage of hotel amenities so I couldn’t really say the “nicest” hotel. I think the one I stayed in in D.C. when my stepdad was inducted into the National Science Academy was pretty nice. At least, the bed was like sleeping on a cloud!

13. Kyla Roma says:

Sounds like a wonderful time! Especially since the service was so amazing, what an awesome experience!

14. I sure hope you wore your water-proof boots today! When I walked the dog this morning, there was only a few inches of snow on the ground. But, it was a wet, heavy snow. And in some spots, it was pure slush. My warm boots are not weatherized … and my feet were soaking by the time I finished walking the dog and shoveling our walkway. Boo ya.

15. Heidi Renée says:

The nicest hotel I’ve ever stayed in was the Beechwood Hotel in Worcester, MA, where we had our wedding in 2007. The Universal Hilton in Universal City, CA, might technically be nicer, but Beechwood wins out due to how beautiful they made our wedding.

16. Sara says:

I stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Maui for my honeymoon and it was AMAZING! I used to be in food service sales before I was a stay at home mom and the Four Seasons in Dallas was my account. They pride themselves on their service. I remember being in one of their kitchens and seeing all the details they had written down for specific guests to make sure their stay was perfect.

17. Allison says:

seriously, but we did manage to ruin a couple’s love night and may or may not embarrassed ourselves in front of celebrity bloggers discussing Pacey Whitter, Jacob from Twilight with this shirt off or your reenactment of Edward’s gross scene in Breaking Dawn and the birth of Renesme.

18. Maki says:

That’s why it’s Five Star hotel – great that you got to stay there. I’ve stayed Four Seasons, Halekulani & Kahala Mandarin – their services were outstanding and simply gorgeous..

I must say I love your photo with the Chipmunk. My girls would scream for joy if they see this photo – they love Alvin too!

19. Her says:

Adorable picture! I’ve always wanted to stay at a Four Seasons. I lived in a high rise next door to one in Texas, but never actually went in. One day!

Sounds like a great trip and I’m hoping the predicted snow isnt going to be a reality either.