23 February 2010

What I gave up for Lent

Tagged: Food, work

Tis the season of Lent and this year, I’m giving up something I really love.

Chocolate candy.

That’s right, until Easter, there are no more morning (and afternoon) mini-candy breaks.

I have to say no to my beloved M&Ms, Almond Joys, Snickers and Milky Ways because I’m testing my willpower (mostly to see if there is any left) and trying to go without.

I must be out of my f*cking mind.

Candy is my friend! It’s also my biggest vice (next to drinking vodka for dinner sometimes).

When I’m stressed or need a quick fix, I always reach for it and I realized how bad the cravings have been lately when I found more than a handful of wrappers at my desk. It was really embarrassing. I don’t even remember eating some of them.

I’m trying to stay on the healthy living train but it’s been tough. I’ve been stressed lately and candy is how I cope. Then my cubemates set up an office challenge to see what everyone was giving up for Lent and made them write it on a chalkboard so we’re accountable for it. And after one last binge, I went up and wrote “chocolate candy.”

Some people think this is cheating and providing too many loopholes. Why? Because I’m not saying no to sweets or chocolate. I can still have Skittles and I can still have chocolate cakes or brownies but the point is, chocolate candy is what I crave the most so this keeps my goal attainable.

Plus, by getting rid of it from my diet, that will help me moderate consumption after Easter.

We’re not even a week in though and I’m struggling. I see chocolate candy in my office and I want it SO BAD. But I’ve remained strong. Here’s hoping next week is easier.

What about you? Did you give something up for Lent? Or what would you NEVER be able to give up? For me, it would be swearing or shopping. That’s not possible.

1. aspartame have some bad side effects too so be careful with it.*~

2. aspartame is known to cause cancer in laboratory animals so be careful-.~

3. Daniel Evans says:

i thought aspartame can cause cancer in laboratory animals -

4. More power to you! Giving up sweets would be TERRIBLE for me. I would be very pouty. And craving chocolate worse. Good luck!

Good luck lady…chocolate is like my breakfast staple, I would die! :) lol

6. Marjolein says:

That’s a tough thing to give up. I’m more of a crisps person myself but I haven’t been able to give up those yet. Maybe it helps to set yourself an actual reward if you make it? Buy something for yourself which you really want, for example? It could make it easier to stick to your resolution. Good luck!

7. E.P. says:

How’s it going so far?

I actually didn’t give up anything this year for Lent, but I can imagine the lack of chocolate candy is tough. Because I’ve totally been there before, too.

8. Mega says:

Kudos to you, giving up a stress reliever isn’t easy. I was raised one of them evil Lutherans so we don’t give up stuff for Lent. But if I did give up something, I’d attempt coffee. I’d probably fail miserably.

9. steph anne says:

I wish you the best of luck!! You can do it! :)

I can’t give up my iPhone. I have nightmares of leaving my iPhone at home and going to work without it. That would be horrible and I don’t care if I’m already 15 minutes out on my way to work I’ll turn around and go get it. Pathetic, I know!

i think chocolate candy is totally legit. unfortunately i’ve already failed at cutting back my wine intake to two nights a week. i’m a bad catholic these days anyways, oh well.

11. Paula says:

I was meant to be giving up drinking alcohol during the week. I’ve quit already. What can I say, I’m a bad Catholic AND an alcoholic.

One thing I could never give up (apart from alcohol) is, like you, swearing. Two of my flatmates gave it up last year but it wasn’t even a consideration for me. I swear like a trooper – I have the ultimate potty mouth.

12. I chose to give up soda because my soda consumption was getting out of control. So far, so good. I slightly miss the fizz but I’ve been drinking sparkling water to make up for it.

I would never and could never give up shopping or coffee. that would be ugliness.

13. Wonderful says:

I think this is the first year I haven’t given anything up for Lent. Instead, I have a new attitude and am trying to figure out ways I can improve myself. So during Lent this year, I’m going to be doing more prayer time, because alot of the time I pray when I want something or don’t really mean it. I figure if I actually commit to praying, things can only improve from here on out.

I gave up soda and fried food. While it wasn’t something I ate every day, it was starting to creep into the diet more often than not.

in the past I’ve given up fast food, alcohol, chocolate and facebook.

The great thing? Each time I give something up, I tend not to go back to it balls to the wall like I used to so the whole Lenten thing works for me. I’m actually doing okay with the no soda/fried food thing though I am craving a good potato chip. And maybe a Dr. Pepper =)

We. Can. Do. IT.

15. kristina says:

So I went there…I gave up shopping this year. I felt like it was a great thing to do and a way to show that material possesions aren’t important so why do I always have to buy something…it’s been super tough, but I’m trying and it’s only 40 days…eek, what have I done????

16. Cheryl says:

I gave up pizza. Not too bad yet, but it does limit the dinner options some nights…

17. phampants says:

Vodka for dinner eh? Interesting…

I didn’t so much give anything up for Lent but more of trying to start off with a good habit. I require myself to wake up earlier each morning so I can have breakfast at home (cereal, oatmeal, etc.). This way, I hope w/ a new habit, I would less like to run to McDonald’s for breakfast or eat random crap at work in the mornings.

18. T says:

I tried to give up sweet tea from Chik fil-a.

I made it 4 days.

I hope you have more willpower than I did!!!

<3 T

I’ve never done anything for Lent (even though my dad is Catholic I was raised as, well, nothing). I don’t really get the idea of giving something up with an end date in mind. Regardless, I could never fully give up ice cream. I could probably go 40 days without it but never my whole life.

20. Chelsy says:

oops, I mean *aspartame. I do know how to spell, really I do. Hehe.

21. Chelsy says:

You’re a brave, brave soul.

I could never give up Diet Coke. No matter how bad is is for my teeth, no matter what they say about asparame…I just love it and all its fizzy, bubbly, cold and refreshing caffeinated goodness.

22. doniree says:

I gave up paper cups and will instead be bringing my own travel mug with me whenever I grab coffee or tea on the go. I already had to buy a new one last when I wanted a coffee and didn’t have my other one on me.

As for what I could never give up? Cheese, wine, and the Internet. YIKES.

23. I’m Jewish, therefore I don’t observe Lent. My husband is Presbyterian, therefore no one in our house observes Lent. Though, if we did, candy of any type would be a good challenge for me.

24. kimmy says:

i went to mass for the first time in a REALLY long time on ash wedsnesday (then forgot to go the following sunday..oops!) but the priest gave a really inspiring homily. he said that lent was the perfect time to work on yourself and to truly become the person that you want to be. we all project things we want people to believe on the outside, but we need to actually be that person on the inside.

maybe its a cop out, but i HATE how gossipy and judgemental and negative i can be at times, so i really want to change that!

25. Stephanie says:

Chocolate would be easy for me. I could never give up cheese. I am giving it up on Fridays only since I don’t meat anyway and it is already killing me and there were only 2 Fridays so far!

26. Ben says:

Lattés and I hate myself for it every. single. day.

27. Lizzie says:

I didn’t give anything up for Lent because, quite frankly, I don’t have the willpower that some people do – like you!!

28. Her says:

I’m impressed! That would be very hard for me to do, but what I could never actually give up is Google Reader. It’s an addiction!

29. Akirah says:

I’m not Catholic, so my own form of Lent is kinda weird. But I always add something to my life, rather than giving something up. This year, I am reading everyday. Reading something beneficial and will challenge me to look at the world differently.

30. Miss Grace says:

I’m skipping lent this year.

31. I gave up naps. Oh man. It’s pathetic how much this is killing me. Grad school is rough.

Good luck to you!

32. Andhari says:

My goodness this is tough. I’m not big into other types of candies but you mention snickers there, definitely a personal favorite. Good luck!:)

33. Heidi Renée says:

Oh man, giving things up is not my bag. So I don’t do it. :)

34. jenn says:

yikes – chocolate, huh? i don’t even like chocolate that much – but easter = cadbury eggs. and i’m not about to give those up! :)

you read my lent “resolutions” on my blog. so far, so good! :)

35. Giving up the Internet would be the biggest sacrifice for me.

Nothing wrong with loopholes. I admire your will power. I am not Catholic so never grew up “giving up” anything. If I did give something up it would probably be something like candy or wine.

I wanted to give up chocolate–but realized I couldn’t make it through my day without dark chocolate hershey kisses. Pathetic, huh?

I thought about giving up alcohol and fast food like I did last year– but I realized that that many days without a drink might be IMPOSSIBLE.

Therefore—I went back to my old reliable– instead of “giving up”—I add something “good” to my list. I try to do something for someone every day. Little things. Big things. I usually set goals at the beginning of the week about what I want to do—and then I hold myself accountable.

Last year I made myself write out a personalized card and deliver it for every day of lent. Family members. Co-workers. Friends. My students. I took time to tell people how awesome I thought they were. It did a world of good for my relationships and it prevented me from saying goodbye to any of the stuff I love.

I’m sure some people would see this as not in sync with Lent–but it works for me.

Best of luck to you through this season!!!! And if you make it–I will personally mail you a big bag of candy to devour on Easter :) :) :)

Love you blog! Have been following for about half a year! You have lots of good things to say!!!