10 March 2010

Kitchen adventures: Rosemary-Garlic Chicken

Tagged: Food

I’ll be honest, meal planning is tough. There are so many recipes to pick from and recipe Web sites/blogs to review that after awhile everything looks the same.

So I’ve been struggling a little bit to look ahead and find recipes that I can make and will work for a week’s worth of meals.

But a few weeks ago I was cruising around RealSimple.com again, after having luck with the Balsamic Poached Chicken, and found a recipe for Rosemary-Garlic Chicken. So I thought I’d give it a try!

Here’s how it turned out!

Three words: food styling win!

Rosemary-Garlic Chicken:

• 4 boneless, skinless chicken-breast halves
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 garlic cloves, peeled and cut in half lengthwise
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup sherry vinegar (red wine vinegar is another option)
  • 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter

Directions

1. Using a rolling pin (or bottom of a wine bottle), pound the chicken breast halves between 2 sheets of wax paper until they are of uniform thickness.
  2. Heat the oil and garlic in a large skillet over medium-high heat until the oil shimmers and the garlic browns. (Don’t burn the garlic.) Add the chicken breasts and cook until golden, 3 to 5 minutes on each side.
  3. Add the salt, pepper, vinegar, chicken broth, and rosemary. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 3 minutes longer or until the chicken is fork-tender. Remove the chicken to a platter and keep warm.
  4. Increase heat to high and boil the sauce until thickened or syrupy, 3 to 5 minutes. Whisk in the butter and pour the sauce over the chicken.

The verdict: Not too bad

The chicken was good but the breasts shrunk during cooking so what looked like a good portion, ended up being a little small. The sauce had a little bit of a salty taste too, you definitely don’t need as much as the recipe lists.

So I made few notes to keep in mind for when I make this next time. I give myself a B for effort :)

In fact, despise the size issue, chicken is my favorite protein to cook with. Fish makes me uncomfortable to cook and I’m not a huge pork or red meat fan. I enjoy both when I’m out to eat but chicken is my go-to in the kitchen.

Now I’m off to look for more recipes to make this week. Oh the choices!

What is your favorite protein to cook with? Were there any you were scared of became comfortable with?

1. Stevie Barde says:

Keep in touch whilst functioning out of your home business office with out every one of the need for buying or even renting costly office equipment. Borrowers may use using their a bad credit score historical past any time.

2. why your hair is just not growing or the reason why your are losing hair. You might assume your using these merchandise to strengthen your hair and give you greater hair health but in actuality they’re the causes why your hair isn’t growing.

3. eating can be considered my hobby he he he. i would really love to visit foods blogs and see some recipes ‘,`

4. i maintain at least three food blogs because i really love to eat and drink~.,

5. i like to read food blogs on the internet because i am always looking for new recipes”`;

6. Theo Shaw says:

i always bookmark food blogs becuase i want to look at new recipes…-

7. i like reading food blogs because i am always seeking for new recipes.’`,

8. Fish! Fish is so easy it hurts. Especially if you own a grill pan.

Buy a big fishy steak from…somewhere. Swordfish or salmon do particularly well. Season with salt and pepper (both sides) and slap it down on the grill pan. When it’s cooked halfway through (you’ll see the color-change on the side) – flip it over and cook it until the different colors ALMOST meet.

Voila. Fishy. Delicious.

9. E.P. says:

Nice work with the food styling! The chicken looks really good!

When I was first learning to cook, chicken was my go-to protein. I was kind of afraid to cook fish until I lived in Louisiana and unintentionally learned how to do that without burning down the house or leaving the fish unrecognizable. It took my time to conquer that, but it’s so much fun to have a good piece of fish you’ve cooked.

10. Shoshanah says:

I definitely cook with chicken the most often. I just think its a less scary protein to use. Although I tend to be pretty bad at making sure to cook it all the way through.

I do love rosemary and garlic, so I think this is probably a recipe I’d really enjoy to try as well.

11. blaez says:

i’ve found that i am wiz at most meats (chicken, pork, beef) but I fail with fish. fail so badly i should be arrested for fish abuse…

12. Wonderful says:

I’m a chicken person too, but I’ve recently learned how to cook salmon, and I’m a big fan. Of course I only do that sometimes, because fish can just be expensive, but it’s still good.

13. Stevie says:

I don’t cook with chicken very much, unless I make a whole chicken. My chicken breasts always turn out too dry for my taste, and I prefer the richer, darker meat anyway, so a whole chicken is better for me. (I have some good easy recipes if you’re lookin’)

I also love to make a pork tenderloin and I cook a lot of fish (mostly salmon). And ground turkey is what I use for spaghetti and casseroles and things like that.

I’m not one to make chicken but this sounds kinda yummy.

15. Jessica says:

That looks amazing! I love any kind of chicken with seasoning so this looks like something I should try.

16. Lucy says:

Chicken is probably the protein I eat the most, but I hate to cook with it or any meat. The germ-freak in me comes out and I do everything in my power to NOT touch it while it’s raw. If I do touch it I have to wash my hands fiercely (of course I can’t touch the sink to turn it on, because OH. MY. GOD. SALMONELLA!) and then when I’m done everything that was used to cook the raw meat has to be washed separately and then we bleach down the kitchen.

Why no, I’m not crazy. Why do you ask?

17. Maki says:

You have been great at posting your cooking pics!!! I love it!

xoxox

18. andhari says:

You’ve been on fire lately, miss. Good for you!

ps. when are you going to make desserts?:D

oh i love chicken and this looks quite tasty. props to you for trying so many yummy recipes lately.

20. eemusings says:

I’m definitely a chicken girl – although I can only work with one cut of meat (the trusty breast)!

21. I don’t have a “go-to” protein because I’m still learning my way around the kitchen…baby steps.

but good job! on your latest dish, looks super yum.

I used to be really freaked out by cooking lamb, but I’ve made it twice in the past few weeks and both dishes came out well. I’ve conquered my fear!

I tend not to eat a ton of meat and have found that I love, love, LOVE chickpeas, which are a good source of protein. That’s a win-win to me!

Sherry is pretty salty. I suggest trying it with red wine vinegar next time.

I’m not a huge fan of a hunk of chicken on my plate. I tend to cook with ground meat (lamb, beef, turkey), sausage, or the occasional piece of salmon. Actually, if you want a good salmon recipe that you make in the microwave and it pretty much fool=proof let me know.

24. Cass says:

I guess I’m a little in the minority, fish is by far my best dish and easiest for me to handle. I’ve just recently been able to handle hamburger (although I still gag in my mind) but chicken? I can’t touch that at all. If we ever make chicken I make sure that the BF prepares it.

25. Allison says:

super simple recipe – are you ready….

buy a whole wheat pizza and top with your favorite toppings. We like to do a white pizza and add asparagus, proscuitto with your favorite cheese.

Plus, add a salad and you are set.

26. I’ve got to say that chicken is my least favorite protein to use in the kitchen. I’m a big fan of pork and beef and seafood and fish, mostly because I think the flavoring blows chicken out of the water. But, I do like the lean factor of chicken, so we do cook with it regularly.

27. Ha I feel safest with vegetarian meals but I’ve become more confident with chicken and fish lately, mostly tilapia. I’ve also done shrimp and scallops…if you like shrimp and you buy the frozen kind, you really can’t mess those up!

Ground turkey is another easy one…plus you can make several turkey burgers and freeze some!

I am a huge fan of chicken and ground turkey breast. This recipe sounds delicious. I dont cook with fish too much, but my go to fish is tilapia — its quite easy to work with. I’m so excited that you are cooking, its not nearly as scary as it seems once you roll up your sleeves and get into it. Pretty soon you’ll be wanting a kitchen aid mixer. =)

29. Kay says:

Seriously – that pic looks delish. Totally yummy. I cook a lot of chicken and on the occasion pork or fish. I find chicken to just be so convenient – there is SO much you can do with it from just basic ingredients from your cupboard/fridge. Like last night I made honey garlic chicken using chicken pieces and some honey garlic sauce from a jar – seriously, it was SO easy and delish to boot.

I agree with you that food blogs/sites can get overwhelming – I end up bookmarking so many different things to try. But my favourite has to be Smitten Kitchen. The pics she posts are beautiful & the handful of recipes I’ve tried have turned out really good.

I used to despite touching raw chicken. DESPISE. But now, like you it’s my favorite thing as well. I also love cooking with ground turkey, especially for soups and in sauces. It’s healthy and protein rich so it’s a win-win. I always find recipes with rosemary aren’t every quite as good as I hope they will be. I’m not sure why that is…

31. jen says:

wow! great job – it looks yummie! i guess chicken is my usual but i also like to fry salmon & tilapia quite a bit. toss it with some rice and veggies and i’m good to go! i’m scared of roasts and big portions of meat. i have no idea what i would do with a full chicken or something. you’ll have to try that one and let me know how it goes!