18 March 2010

Some of my random quirks

Tagged: Food, Random, sports, work

I am a pretty quirky person. And I’m a little set in my ways. So I thought I would put in a list some random, odd things about me for a little pre-weekend enjoyment:

• I do not like Nutella. At all. I’ve had it in crepes, on toast and in desserts and I just don’t like it. I don’t mind chocolate hazelnut but I’ve never been a fan. People I lived with in Germany thought I was a freak
  • I’m terrified of grates in Chicago. In fact, I refuse to walk over them if I can help it. I have this horrible fear that I’ll fall through
  • I get ready for work the same way every day. I tend to be forgetful so the routine helps me make sure I don’t forget to brush my teeth, or put put pants on
  • The smell of fresh laundry is one of my favorite smells ever
  • Sometimes, I laugh so hard that I can’t talk or breathe. I love that feeling
  • I don’t know how to drive stick shift. People tried to teach me but I never completely learned. And I have no plans to do so
  • I prefer white chocolate to dark chocolate (even though the latter is healthier)
  • I am ridiculously uncoordinated at dancing. In fact, I only know about 2-3 moves and repeat them, trying to look like I know what I’m doing
  • I have NEVER made an NCAA bracket. I have no idea why
  • I do not drink coffee or tea. I don’t like the taste of both. I will have a mocha or some girly kind of coffee-like drink once in a while but if you see me drinking coffee, something is seriously wrong

So do you think I’m a total freak? What are some quirky, odd things about you that you’d like to share.

Review blog update: Summer movie trailers are out so I made a list of movies I can’t wait to see

1. s2warez says:

I do not like nutella too

2. s2warez says:

I do not like nitella too

3. Different people in the world get the lowest-rate-loans.com from various creditors, just because it’s comfortable and fast.

FINALLY – I’m not the only one who refuses to walk on grating. YES.

5. Lys says:

i don’t like grates when i’m wearing a flowy skirt or dress, because i have walked over a grate and had my skirt fly up, allowing the world behind me to see i was only wearing a thong for about 4 seconds. humiliating.

i’ve known how to drive stick shift ever since i started driving, considering my first car was a stick shift, and if i wanted to drive my own car, i had to learn.

i have never done a bracket either, i agree with everything lbluca77 said about it.

and don’t even get me started on coffee or tea. i cannot stand the smell or taste of coffee, it’s like acidy mud in my mouth. tea, well, let’s just say arnold palmer and i get along swell, i have a great rapport with passion tea, iced and hot…but beyond that, i stay as far away as possible. the only hot drinks i can stand are apple cider in various forms and hot chocolate.

6. Jessica says:

Haha, I love hearing about people’s little quirks. I suck at dancing so I can totally relate to that.

7. tmc says:

I’m a pen thief.

8. Mega says:

I rarely bite into a sandwich. Instead, I usually tear off pieces and eat it that way. I have never seen a full episode of Lost from start to finish. I trip over my own feet at least once every 3 months.

9. poodlegoose says:

Yeah, I occasionally ponder if I’m missing out on something by not liking coffee, but then i remember that all that money I could be spending on coffee? I’m spending on pizza (or shoes or CD’s) instead! (and i don’t like nutella either)

I dunno, something quirky about myself? I love my handwriting when I write in lead pencil and I play with my hair (this weird rubbing/twirling thing that I’ve done since I was 3? 4? 5?) until my fingers cramp up and my arm starts to hurt.

10. I loooooove Nutella! I love it so much, I’m not allowed to have it in the house, because I would just sit and eat it straight out of the jar!

But, I totally agree on the grates, the laughing, the stick shift, the smell of laundry, NCAA brackets, and coffee–so I don’t think you’re too crazy ;)

11. Her says:

I think we’re all freaks if you’re a freak!

I’ve never even *had* Nutella, and I choke while laughing on a regular basis. It looks so pathetic, but I have a great time!

12. Stephanie says:

Well I share a lot of those same traits with you…so I hope they don’t make me too crazy (not wanting to walk on grates, never filling out a bracket, not liking tea…)! I do not like when someone walks up the stairs behind me. Also, if I am alone at night the bedroom door has to be shut. And I check the locks multiple times.

13. stealthnerd says:

Oh man, I love the smell of fresh laundry! Yankee Candle has the clean cotton candles and diffusers and I love the smell. Our apartment always smells like I just did laundry, it’s the best!

Can’t drive a stick shift either. I don’t even know if I want to learn.

And grates in big cities!? Ugh. They terrify me too. I got my heel stuck in one once even though I thought I was being super careful and that was even more terrifying.

I never drink coffee. Ever. If I go to Starbucks i get the double chocolate chip drink which is basically like a milkshake on steroids.

15. jenn says:

if these are your biggest quirks – i think you are going to be JUST fine! :) you’re totally normal!! although i’m horrified that you don’t like nutella…that stuff is amazing!

If you’re a freak then so am I because I have a lot of those same “quirks”. Except the grate thing. They don’t bother me but I do hate having to walk in my tiptoes over them if I’m wearing heels. My college roommate, though, was terrified of them.

17. Cheryl says:

I am terrified of grates when I’m wearing heels that are thin. I am afraid I’ll get caught in them. I also have a morning routine, can’t drive a stick and love how fresh laundry smells (and feels when it’s still warm).

I love nutella, and coffee and love NCAA brackets :)

18. I’ve never had Nutella.

I love love love driving a stick!

19. Allyson says:

I’m scared of grates, too! A friend told me that like 12 people die every year because they fall through. It probably isn’t true but I still avoid them!

20. i think we all have our quirks. and it makes us who we are.
    i also can’t drive a stick.

but i love march madness and college sports!

some of mine are- my toenails are always painted red.
    and i only write in black pen.

21. Lizzie says:

I wish I could have a routine in a morning – I normally rush about 10 minutes before I’m meant to head out, and end up being stressed the rest of the day!!
    Fresh laundry I completely agree with you on – oh my word, it’s amazing. I used to sit in my local laundrette watching TV for hours (with friends!) just so I could smell it!!
    Laughing so hard is one of my favourite things in the entire world, the feeling where your stomach hurts. Or the laughter where you don’t know why you’re laughing, and then you look at someone who starts laughing and you start again!! Been thrown out of so many lectures because of that – oops!!
    Totally not a freak – I love this post, might do one myself later :D

I have similar quirks too!
    I always feel a pang of jealousy when people are Starbucks this, Starbucks that but then I remember all the money I’m saving :)

23. T says:

Grates scare the living daylights out of me. All my friends laugh, but I’ll be the one laughing when they fall through it.

24. Melinda says:

We are so similar! Well except for the Nutella part, I love that stuff more than I should.

Since I don’t live in the city I don’t know much about the grates but I am sure I would be scared too. On the way to my in-laws there are these huge ditches on the side of the road, and I white knuckle the steering wheel the whole way. I am certain that a strong freeze might veer my car off the road and will drowned in the ditch water.

25. You’re not a freak. You just have your own nuances. Me? Can’t stand white chocolate, love all kinds of milk and dark chocolate (with or without nuts). I don’t do coffee, but will drink tea – my thing now is no caffeine. And I didn’t learn how to drive stick until college, when I had an internship many states away from my family, needed to borrow one of my parents’ cars and had to learn stick in order to drive my dad’s car from Boston to Chicago. I was a quick learner, out of force (and fear).

26. Lucy says:

I’m scared of the Chicago grates too, but I walk over them anyway. It’s kind of a defiant thing, like they aren’t going to break, but the whole time in my head I’m screaming “GET OFF! You are going to FALL!” Have I mentioned that crazy runs in my family?

27. Robin says:

Yes, you are a complete freak. Nutella dropped the jaw and the coffee thing nailed it in the coffin. The end. :)

I can’t drive a stick shift either. A few people tried to teach me and once I got it stuck on a hill. My friend was yelling at me so I literally got out of the car and walked home. It was a very bad experience, I refuse to try again.

29. Caz says:

I am SO GLAD I am not the only person in the world who hates Nutella!

Ew. Whenever I’m at a crepe place, or somewhere else with “chocolate spread” I ask “is the chocolate Nutella? or just chocolate?” The 9 times out of 10 it’s Nutella I don’t order it and people think I’m CRAZY! They’re like “nutella is SO much better what are you doing?” They don’t understand how much I hate it.

30. Lindsey says:

I refuse to walk over the grates in Pittsburgh either! Part of me has that same fear of falling in, the other part thinks it’s disgusting because some of them are over the subway. If it’s going through when you’re standing on it, it blows up all kinds of hot air and it makes me want to shower ASAP.

31. PomJob says:

Your “quirks” are similar to mine with a few modifications. I’ve never tried Nutella and I think milk chocolate is the superior cocoa. And I do know how to drive stick – it was my first car. So maybe our quirks aren’t that close after all.

My biggest quirk is my clumsiness. My legs look like they belong on an 8 year old boy due to all the bruises and cuts.

32. you are so not a freak! I don’t like nutella either. I really tried to like it after I bought a jar due to all of the rave reviews on twitter but…I found it too thick and rich. and I love the combo of chocolate and hazelnut, yet nutella just doesn’t do it for me.

I’m the same way when it comes to routines, it helps me with remembering things and, in a way, saves me time.

stick shifts just look confusing which scare me out of ever wanting to test one out.

and these NCAA brackets? I DON’T GET THEM AT ALL. I don’t even know what NCAA stands for. I’ve never made one and (most likely) never will.

33. Ginger says:

I don’t drink coffee, and rarely drink tea. Instead, I drink Diet Coke–even when I lived in New York and it was freezing outside.
    Oh, and dark chocolate? Is disgusting.

Until this year, I’d never made a bracket either. And I went to Michigan State, where March Madness was a holiday! But I did one last night and today I’m totally hooked!!!

I don’t drink coffee, either. I love the smell but hate the taste. I’ve only started drinking herbal tea in the past few years. My hot drink of choice is usually cocoa.

And I definitely have a getting ready routine!

35. I don’t think you are weird at all. But not filling out an NCAA bracket? You are just missing out. Its so fun! I haven’t even watched college bball this year and I am obsessed with the tournament. The stick shift thing…I firmly believe everyone needs to learn. Its vital. If you can drive a stick shift you can drive anything. Besides…what if you are with someone who gets hurt and their car is a manual? You don’t want to be stuck!

36. lbluca77 says:

No you are not a freak at all. I too get ready for work the same way everyday. I to this day still drive stick. It’s weird but I can’t drive an automatic. Stick shift is so fun, you should learn. I don’t do the NCAA Bracket either. I don’t do it because I think college sports are stupid. Unless you are still in college I can see watching college sports but once college is over it’s time to move on.

37. phampants says: