22 April 2010

My latest food nemesis

Tagged: Food, Random

Yes, I have a food nemesis. And her name is Betty Crocker.

She’s a stone cold, addictive, tasty b*tch.

And what Betty has hooked me on is…frosting.

Don’t worry, I’ll give you a second to laugh at me.

Yes, I’m referring to the stuff you ice a cake or brownies with. Except, I don’t do that. I dim the lights, sit on my couch and with the soft glow of my TV shining on me after a long day, I take a spoon and dive into it like it’s yogurt.

Rich, smooth, creamy and oh my gosh it’s so good. Secret shame!!

My name is Jess, and I love frosting.

Lately, a little too much.

It’s sort of like that episode of Sex and the City when Miranda is addicted to Betty Crocker cake and eats it out of the garbage. I remember watching that thinking, that is crazy! There is no way something like that could be that addictive. Yeah, I’m eating those words with a spoon…out of a frosting can.

Fortunately, I’m not eating thrown away frosting, but seriously, I can’t get enough of it.

I partially blame this on my¬†Lent challenge. Frosting is not candy, therefore it helped me curb the chocolate hormone-induced cravings. But now it’s out of hand and I can’t stop!

Two weekends ago, I went to the store to buy brown rice for my stir fry and suddenly, unconsciously I’m walking out with frosting AND brown rice.

Both of which were delish (not together).

Then, knowing I would be tested, I went last weekend to buy frosting for the bake sale brownies, PRAYING I would use it all, but I didn’t. There was half a container of frosting left.

It lasted 48 hours.

Now I must resist the baking aisle at the store because frosting could just appear again and I don’t want it to!

I knew Lent would come back to bite me somehow.

What is your biggest sweet or savory indulgence? Big weekend plans anyone?

1. Superb read, I recently passed this onto a colleague who was conducting a little analysis on that. And he actually bought me lunch because I came across it for him smile So permit me to rephrase that: Many thanks for supper!

2. Yo Momma says:

Great Post, Momma Loves it!

3. Ideal Home page Type — my spouse and i speculate on a regular basis in which you have the good themes or templates to your weblog / web site coming from. They’re so excellent. Do you make these people by yourself as well as can you purchase for them some place? When it comes to acquiring these, could you inform me a good store for the children? Meets

4. Don’t have money to buy some real estate? You not have to worry, because it is real to take the home loans to solve such kind of problems. So get a collateral loan to buy all you need.

5. Bri says:

I too can’t resist the frosting! It is so good cold from the fridge! I love the chocolate too, but cream cheese flavor is my favorite.

6. Icing is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too sweet. I adore it on a cake, though.

7. Dill pickles, mac n’ cheese and salt water taffy. Love ‘em.

8. Hannah Katy says:

Love this post. So creative and catchy. But whatever, indulge a little bit, I believe that everything is good in moderation! As for me, I have a huge sweet tooth when it comes to carrot cake. Random I know, but I love love love it.

Best,

Hannah Katy

9. jenn says:

oh my gosh – frosting is the best! i never ever buy it or i’d be in big trouble. and my downfall is sour patch kids. i have to limit myself from eating them but a couple of times a year, or i’d be 3029843 lbs. i buy a bag and keep them in my car, convinced i will not eat that many that way. and then in one trip home they’re all gone and i’ve just eaten 2000 calories in one sitting. :)

10. Craig@work says:

I feel for you, I love frosting out of the can, especially after it’s been refrigerated. Drives my wife crazy! However, the bad thing is I am diabetic, and it wreaks havoc with my blood sugar readings, so I haven’t done it in a couple years, but every time i go down the cake mix aisle … I also would just mix my own with powdered sugar, milk, and hershey’s cocoa …

Another kind I like, I got hooked on peanut butter frosting the cooks made to put on spice cake while I was in the Navy … this was awesome. I also eat all my cake in a bowl with milk on it, makes everything so moist and tasty!!!

11. chocolate cookie dough – it has to physically be pulled away from grip if I’m near it. but oh how I love it.

the only kind of frosting that I really like is the kind with the rainbow chips, funfetti frosting? otherwise, frosting is a hit or miss thing for me. I usually do without it.

12. chocolate frosting out of the can, nothing else better than that!

my other weakness is chocolate chip cookie dough.

both are my favorites and a nice little pick me up, especially when i’m having a bad day.

this weekend is my lazy weekend, no plans. which is nice for once!

13. E.P. says:

I can’t say I have ever eaten frosting out of the can (though I will admit to licking it off the side of a bowl after I’ve made some… which is hardly ever.) I absolutely LOVE cake mix. Mixing it with milk and just eating it that way. … I know it’s horrible, and I no longer walk down the baking aisle because of this.

That’s my guilty pleasure. I know it sounds gross, but I love it…

14. Frosting is SO good! Sometimes I like to eat it on graham crackers. I can totally relate, because I have a seriously uncontrollable sweet tooth.

this is one of the big reasons why we don’t have frosting, because i would eat it all. i freaking love having frosting by the spoonful, it’s so bad but oh so very good.

16. Kathleen says:

I’ve been doing that since I was a kid, only now I don’t have to sneak it. And, embarrassingly enough, I don’t even bother with a spoon anymore.

Mmmmm…I can it Cream Cheese frosting right out of the can like it’s my job…NOM NOM NOM!!

18. Cheryl says:

For your birthday this year, I’m gonna stick a candle in a can of Betty Crocker for you. LOL :)

I’ve been eating Nutella lately, but on graham crackers. I unfortuantely like all kinds of snacks. Get me started eating chips and salsa and it’s hard to stop. Ditto for really good brownies.

Oh MAN, I know all about that particular indulgence. I make my own frosting these days, but there was a time when I couldn’t get enough of that rainbow chip frosting. You know the stuff I’m talking about, right?

It’s a good thing the grocery store is no longer on my way home from work.

20. Susan says:

I do that with cookie dough. That’s why I don’t make cookies.

21. phampants says:

The way you described how you tackled the frosting at night sounded like a messed up make out session.

22. That SATC scene when Miranda eats the cake out of the trash is CLASSIC.

Yes, my top was Juicy! From like 2 years ago…

Enjoy your weekend!

You’re not alone in the loving frosting thing. It’s happened to me before too… several times :)

Lately I’m OBSESSED with Kit-Kats. We have a snackroom for clients here at the office and we always have candy/chips/chocolate. Lately they have the little teeny, tiny kit-kat bars. They are so damn good, I can’t get enough of them.

24. I’m going to let you in on a little secret. it’s called Cakewaffles. It’s something new to put your frosting on.

Take cake batter… take a waffle iron… put them together, and eat tasty tasty cakewaffles SMOTHERED in icing. It’s OMGSODELICIOUS. And yes, I do expect you to review cakewaffles.

25. Yep, that’s one of those items I just don’t allow myself to have in the house unless I’m actually using it that day. Frosting is delicious!!

26. kimmy says:

haha, so funny!

my team had a pitch in @ work this week and instead of going all out w/ my chocolate chip cheeseball I took the easy way out and just bought cream cheese frosting and mixed in the chips. i had a TON left over so i’ve been eating it all damn week!!

27. Melinda says:

I dig into the Nutella with a spoon. In fact last night, after a rather stressful time putting my son to bed, I got out the Nutella and scraped that jar dry. Someone had better come and help me hang the shame curtains.

28. Stephanie says:

I don’t so much care for sweets, but I do love me some frosting. Especially buttercream frosting on a cake. When I eat cake, I’m happy to just eat the frosting off and leave the cake. Especially the big chunks on the side. But it has to be buttercream. Yum!

29. My husband practically dug a container of frosting out of the trash (ok, so I was on my way to throwing away the container with some unused frosting when he stopped me and made me put it in the fridge). Know you’re not alone with this addiction.

I never had a sweet tooth until I started dating my husband. I was all about salt (I could eat french fries until I rolled home, but would always skip dessert). Now? Ugh, well, there’s a reason I nicknamed him Sweets.

30. April says:

My dad does that. He is 260 pounds. If you need extra willpower, I’ll send you a picture!

31. Fermi says:

I have had a life long love of frosting.
    I have been eating it out of the can for years.
    Betty Crocker Vanilla is awesome.

Have you seen Death Becomes Her? I think that is the movie where one of the characters gets really fat because all she eats is frosting. She opens her kitchen cubbords and all she has is chocolate or vanilla frosting cans.

Also – once when I was at church – someone was trying to convince us to save sex for marriage. To do this they said, “Marriage is like a cake, and sex is the icing on the cake.” To that I promptly announced, “What if you just like the icing?”

32. O M G – Betty Crocker frosting is SO GOOD. I’m not embarrassed to admit I’ve hate it out of the can more than once!

OK, maybe it IS a little embarrassing to admit that….

33. Her says:

What flavor? I have cream cheese frosting in my fridge. Dangerous…very dangerous.

34. Stevie says:

Oh man, that frosting is SO good. I love the vanilla with rainbow chips, and the plain chocolate. I’m not much of a sweets person, but if that frosting is in my house, I will eat all of it.

On the salty side, I can’t resist chips. Doritos, especially.

35. Michelle says:

And by “as sweet as sugar” I mean “as sweet as frosting.” For duh.

36. Michelle says:

Haha you and my best friend would get along SWIMMINGLY. She loves frosting so much that she likes to go to the dining halls and scrape it OFF the pieces of cake and then just LEAVE the naked cake behind for some other poor hungry coed to find. Until we discovered that she only likes the frosting, and I only like the cake. I have a weird blood-sugar thing and I’m allergic to pure chocolate, so eating something as sweet as sugar is asking for a night of dizziness and headaches. There’s not a lot of candy I can eat that doesn’t do this to me, but I’m actually obsessed with these weird Japanese evaporated milk candies–they sound SO gross but they’re SO good. Like hard-candy-ice-cream.

You must pull out your mixer and make a buttercream. You’ll never go back to store bought frosting again.

Depending on the weather, my Saturday night will be spent drinking Yuengling around a bonfire and celebrating at a party for by bff’s dad Sunday afternoon. And sleeping in. There must be sleeping in.

38. Ali says:

Makes total and complete sense to me! I mean, isn’t frosting THE best part?