26 April 2010

Kitchen adventures: Macaroni and cheese pizza

Tagged: Food

Yes, you read that correctly.

This weekend, I made macaroni and cheese pizza because lately, I’ve been craving pizza like crazy. And fortunately, this homemade pizza was NOT a semi-fail this time!!!

Where did I get such an awesome recipe? From my buddies Robin and Lauren’s blog, where they remade a well-known macaroni and cheese pizza from Madison, WI. I should not be surprised that it’s from Wisconsin, we love our cheese :)

Immediately, I knew that I had to try this. And now that I’m a little wiser than I was the first time I made pizza, I crossed my fingers and had a bar of soap out for my mouth in case the swearing started again.

And here’s how it turned out:

Food photography FAIL due to no natural light, but you can see the layers in the pizza

Ingredients:

• Prepared pizza dough (I used Trader Joes’ again)
  • 1 package creme fraiche (also purchased at Trader Joes)
  • 1-2 cups mild cheddar cheese
  • 1-2¬† cups Mozzarella cheese
  • 1-2 cups medium or sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 box elbow macaroni (plain or whole grain noodles will work)
  • Salt and pepper (to taste)
  • EVOO

Directions:

• Roll the pizza dough on a floured surface and fit to your pizza pan slide for the stone
  • Spread a thin later of EVOO then creme fraiche on the dough
  • Cook the macaroni for 5 minutes in boiling water so it’s not raw but not fully cooked, drain
  • Evenly sprinkle the noodles, mild, medium and Mozzarella cheese on the dough
  • Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees
  • Cook for 20 minutes or until the cheese is brown and bubbly and the crust is cooked
  • Serve!

Verdict:  Tastes like homemade mac and cheese! YES!

Fortunately, I knew that made this correctly because it definitely tastes like mac and cheese…on a pizza crust. I recommend warming it up to really get that taste but with a little salt and pepper on top, it’s REALLY good. And the cheesy goodness comes out really well too. For me, the more cheese the better, and while I cut back a bit on the amount I put on this, it still tasted great with the noodles, without the noodles being overdone. And the softer crust tastes great too.

Note: You can increase the amount of cheese and noodles on your pizza if you wish, but I found half a box still covered the pizza enough without being overwhelming.

So now that I’ve combined the super foods of mac and cheese and pizza, what would be your perfect pizza topping or super foods pizza combination?

1. Tambra Cherubin says:

Macarons in Japan are a popular confection known as “makaron”.There is also a version of the same name which substitutes peanut flour for almond and is flavored in wagashi style, widely available in Japan.*…

Our favorite web page
    <http://healthwellnessbook.com/index.php

2. KTC says:

I just made some mac and cheese pizza and it was a huge hit! check it out on my blog: http://thisiswhyktcishot.blogspot.com/2011/02/100th-blog-post.html

3. shellbell says:

Oh my gosh!!! you made ian’s mac and cheese pizza!!! As a madison resident, i can attest that this is the perfect drunk-slice

4. Robin says:

Hooray!! I’m glad you liked the pizza and that you’re pretty much a professional chef. :) The photo looks amazing and thanks for linking to our blog!!

5. andhari says:

Mac and cheese AND Pizza in the same dish? I wanna try! That sounds and looks amazing. All the cheesy goodness!

6. That sounds strange but amazing! I’ll have to try it.

7. My brain is orgasming at the thought of this. Or maybe it’s my mouth that’s orgasming. Or maybe I’m having an ACTUAL ORGASM.

8. SarahBeth says:

Oh. My. Gosh. You just combined my two favorite foods in a way I thought could never be possible. Trying this recipe out immediately…

9. Ashley says:

That sounds awesome!! I’ve been wanting to make homemade pizza again and this will be just perfect for this weekend.

You have stolen my heart and put it in a cheesy and pasta pizza platter!!!

11. Lisa says:

One of the cheap buffets around here has a mac and cheese pizza. At first I thought it was weird, especially since I thought it was geared toward kids and what kid has a problem with pizza??? I tried it though and it was actually pretty good.

I won’t lie…I made a face when I read the title. I love each thing separately, but together I’m not sure! It does sound intriguing though…so I’m definitely starring it for later :-)

As someone who generally picks the cheese off her pizza (Wisconsin cheeseheads, please forgive me!), I like white pizzas, especially anything involving pesto, goat cheese, artichokes or sun-dried tomatoes.

That just made me SO hungry. Good thing my lunch just finished reheating!

You are becoming a queen of the kitchen!!

Cheeseburger pizza is one of my favorite hard-to-find pizzas. But if you could make pierogies into a pizza I’d be in heaven.

YUM. Thankfully I’m about to eat some left over pizza from my fav pizza place in StL so I won’t be drooling all over the keyboard for too long but this looks delicious!

16. Add some ground beef to that bad boy and I think my husband would be in love. Seriously, anything with a lot of cheese and meat and he’s golden! hahaha.

17. Wonderful says:

I’ve seriously never ever heard of this before. I’m in like complete awe right now. Not sure if it’s awe because who would think to do that? or awe because it probably is good. Either way, it’s awe.

18. Ray says:

Wow, that looks really good! I may have to try!

19. Caitlin says:

That looks like pizza sent from heaven!!! It’s low-cal right? ;)
    I could probably eat that every day for the rest of my life.

20. Jen says:

There is a restaurant in Cambridge, MA that makes the mac and cheese pizza. It was good but I’ll take my cheese and one topping pizza over it.

21. RondaMarie says:

Theres a place by where I live that makes the best spaghetti pizza I have ever had in my life. Its probably my favorite food. Take a road trip to see me someday and I will buy you lunch there :)

22. omg, i’ve never thought about making it myself, but my favorite pizza is ziti pizza and fetticini alfredo pizza. yummmm! (now i want some!)

23. Susan says:

That makes me want to make such a huge batch of mac and cheese that I can eat it and then have leftovers the next day to make that.

I’ve never heard of such a thing! My first thought is that it shouldn’t go together, but it sounds interesting. Over the weekend I tried a piece of pierogi lasagna which sounds like it shouldnt go together either, but it did. =)

25. not gonna lie, the thought of mac&cheese pizza sounds so wrong but this looks AMAZING!!! and totally do-able.

personally, I enjoy all veggie toppings on my pizza: spinach leaves, tomato slices, broccoli, olives, etc.