Yes, you read that correctly.
This weekend, I made macaroni and cheese pizza because lately, I’ve been craving pizza like crazy. And fortunately, this homemade pizza was NOT a semi-fail this time!!!
Where did I get such an awesome recipe? From my buddies Robin and Lauren’s blog, where they remade a well-known macaroni and cheese pizza from Madison, WI. I should not be surprised that it’s from Wisconsin, we love our cheese :)
Immediately, I knew that I had to try this. And now that I’m a little wiser than I was the first time I made pizza, I crossed my fingers and had a bar of soap out for my mouth in case the swearing started again.
And here’s how it turned out:
- Prepared pizza dough (I used Trader Joes’ again)
- 1 package creme fraiche (also purchased at Trader Joes)
- 1-2 cups mild cheddar cheese
- 1-2 cups Mozzarella cheese
- 1-2 cups medium or sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 box elbow macaroni (plain or whole grain noodles will work)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Roll the pizza dough on a floured surface and fit to your pizza pan slide for the stone
- Spread a thin later of EVOO then creme fraiche on the dough
- Cook the macaroni for 5 minutes in boiling water so it’s not raw but not fully cooked, drain
- Evenly sprinkle the noodles, mild, medium and Mozzarella cheese on the dough
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees
- Cook for 20 minutes or until the cheese is brown and bubbly and the crust is cooked
Verdict: Tastes like homemade mac and cheese! YES!
Fortunately, I knew that made this correctly because it definitely tastes like mac and cheese…on a pizza crust. I recommend warming it up to really get that taste but with a little salt and pepper on top, it’s REALLY good. And the cheesy goodness comes out really well too. For me, the more cheese the better, and while I cut back a bit on the amount I put on this, it still tasted great with the noodles, without the noodles being overdone. And the softer crust tastes great too.
Note: You can increase the amount of cheese and noodles on your pizza if you wish, but I found half a box still covered the pizza enough without being overwhelming.
So now that I’ve combined the super foods of mac and cheese and pizza, what would be your perfect pizza topping or super foods pizza combination?