27 May 2010

The next vacation for one

Tagged: Food, travel

May has kicked some serious a**. I went to Nola, Vegas, Conan‘s tour and Glee all this month and as I look ahead to Memorial Day and June, I’m thinking: what’s next??

That’s right, I still have more vacation time to use.

And now that my solo Nola vacation went so well, I’ve decided to take another solo trip this summer and I’ve already started looking into a big trip next year too.

Seriously, traveling alone rocks. And now that I know I can do it, there is no stopping me!

So here’s where I’ll be having my second vacation for one in late June:

NAPA!

Hmm, I can smell the wine now. It’s my favorite kind of juice! Napa has been on my travel wish list for too long and rather than wait for another year, I said “f*ck it” and started planning. And before going to Napa, I’ll be stopping in San Francisco for a few days. I absolutely cannot wait! It’ll be a nice week in California full of wine and relaxation.

Sadly, this trip overlaps with the release of the new Twilight movie Eclipse so I can’t do a midnight showing with my Chicago crew (sad face!) but I’ve recruited a certain blogger to join me for Twi-hard-ness in California :)

This will likely be the last big trip this summer but I’ve already started dreaming bigger for 2011.

That’s right: Europe. I haven’t been to Europe since 2000 and in an effort to check more things off my life list, I am focusing on going to this city:

ITALY

When I lived overseas, I wasn’t able to visit Italy and really regretted it and now that I don’t have to stay in awful hostels, I’m ready to see it and soak in some pasta, wine and history.

This is really up in the air, but it’s my goal to go there!

Does anyone else have vacations planned this summer? Any big Memorial Day weekend plans? I cannot wait to RELAX and catch up on movies!

Review blog: Cirque du Soleil’s Ka! I’m a huge Cirque fan and got to check this out while I was in Vegas!

1. Good calls on both accounts! I absolutely love central Cali — San Francisco is one of my favorite places in the world, and Napa is beautiful! If I didn’t already have vacay planned for late June, I would have asked to join you :)

2. Lisa says:

My husband and I went to Napa in the spring and absolutely loved it! We are planning another trip already. I would love to go in the fall during “Crush”.

3. Grace says:

Vacations for one sound wonderful! I almost planned on for NOLA but then a friend wanted to come along and I said yes. I think I’ll have to plan a solo trip sometime soon. Have a great time in NAPA. It’s so beautiful!

4. I’m taking a couple weeks off this summer but we’re going to hang around home and do day trips … a staycation!

Perhaps you could buy a suitcase big enough to fit me and I could go with you to Rome? I probably wouldn’t want to come back after I go there. just a hunch.

I’m super jealous of your napa trip! Sounds like a great time!

6. Allison says:

I would love to go to Italy! It’s on my places to go. Maybe next year it’s something the BF and I will plan.

7. I really want to do some traveling alone – I’m JUST getting my travel legs as I just finished university and I can’t wait to do some big trips in the next few years!

Omg, go to Italy. I just spent 10 days there and it was the most amazing time of my life. I wasn’t a HUGE fan of Rome itself (mostly because we got robbed there) but please go to Venice and MAKE TIME to go to Cinque Terre – you will not regret it!

Also, Napa Valley? So jealous. Wine is my favourite juice, too!

Napa sounds fantastic!! Be sure and drink lots of wine for me. :)

Napa!! So jealous. I love it there. I would totally live in Sonoma or Napa if I could.

Italy, though, I wasn’t a huge fan of. I’ve always sworn I would only go back if I could speak the language or was with someone who could.

10. Jessica says:

ITALY ITALY ITALY ITALY. I will plan your trip for you.

11. Elizabeth says:

I love San Francisco, but have never been to Napa. I really want to check it (and Sonoma!) out. I don’t have much experience in Rome–we only spent 12 hours in the airport, which is a long, boring story, but I loved Siena and other parts of Tuscany. I’m so excited for you!

12. E.P. says:

Can I just live vicariously through all your traveling? Because it sounds absolutely AMAZING!

13. Both of those destinations are AMAZING!!! As many times as I’ve been to San Francisco, I’ve never been to Napa, so I can’t wait to hear all about it :) And ITALY!!! Oh, les sigh :) You’ll have such fun there!

14. Jennifer says:

Look at you go girl! Taking all of these awesome trips. I am jealous for sure – I have like no time left to take off of work! I have heard amazing things about Napa Valley, and I can’t even imagine how awesome Europe would be!

15. Katie K says:

Cool! This makes me want to take a trip, but I usually just go home to Florida when I do travel out of New York. Chicago last year was a highlight though.

yay for napa! that’s going to be so much fun, i can’t wait to hear about it and mmmmmwine.

also, woo italy!!

17. See … I told you that traveling alone rocks!

18. jen says:

i’m loving all your travel plans!!! i’m off to san francisco myself on sunday to meet my new “nephew” and spend time with a friend. we won’t have time for napa this time so youll have to come back with all the dirt. i’m going to france in august for like 12 days through work. i’m really excited! after that possibly another work trip to europe and then i’m planning on montreal for NYE. we’ll see where i get the funds for all this!

19. Marjolein says:

We’re probably going camping in Italy for a few weeks (4 or so) but we’re not entirely sure yet. Rome is wonderful, but make sure you don’t go there in summer – too hot! I went there for a week in May year ago and that’s a lovely time for visiting. The weather was good, but not too warm for sightseeing.

Italy is the only place I’ve traveled overseas and it’s amazing. Though I agree with Nilsa, Rome can be a little much. I also did Florence and Venice and of the three, my favorite was definitely Florence. There’s enough to do in the city, it’s not half as crazy as Rome, and it’s a great jumping off point for all of the cute little towns in Tuscany. And the wine tasting rocks.

Oh, and did I mention there’s great shopping in Tuscany? Bought my Prada purse at the outlet there!!

21. Michelle says:

Girl your summer is all kinds of hopping! I’m so impressed and inspired with your confidence! I loveee Napa. I’d want to get married there for sure.

22. kristina says:

Your solo trip adventures are really inspiring! I’ve been wanting to go to Napa for such a long time. I’m thinking a solo trip to South America next year.

As for me I’m headed to Spain in 11 days! I’m headed to Madrid, Barcelona and Sitges with friends. Happy Memorial Day!

23. RondaMarie says:

I’m so glad you were brave enough to do the solo vacation thing and I’m thrilled you liked it (I would have felt guilty for telling you to go for it otherwise). I plan to go to Italy alone this fall. That trip scares me a bit more, foreign country, foreign language, gah! But whats the worst that can happen, right? Nothing I can’t figure out on my own.

24. Kay says:

traveling alone is THE best. no one to answer to but yourself! love that you’re embracing it :)

25. kimmy says:

oh man, rome is amazing!! can we be friends? i’ll be your travel buddy!!! haha…j/k…sorta!

26. stephanie says:

You are so brave! But that will be a blast! I love going to wineries and vineyards even if it is in just MIchigan. But Napa will be great!

27. exploring the wine country and going on a wine tour in Napa is on my ‘to-do’ list. it looks so beautiful and vast in any pictures that I’ve seen.

it sounds like it will be a great vacation.

28. Napa? Awesome – what a fun trip! And Italy – swoon! My only advice? Rome can be done in a few days. If you’re flying all the way over there, make sure to visit someplace else in Italy. Maybe Florence (I liked it even better than Rome) or the countryside of Tuscany! So much fun to plan trips like these!

29. L.C.T. says:

Ahhhh I love Italy. It’s one of my favourite countries. Rome, Milan, Venice, all fantastic!

30. Heidi Renée says:

If I didn’t have a sick kitty and a military husband tying me down, I would definitely travel more–at least to go home more than once a year, but probably other places too. I envy your freedom!

31. Stevie says:

Awesome! I have family in the Napa area and love getting down there as much as possible. You’ll love it, it’s so beautiful!

I have some local trips planned this summer, and then I’ll be heading back to NY and DC in late September/early October to visit my niece and nephew!!!

32. Maki says:

Oh Jess, Napa is sooo beautiful!!! Sonoma is also great – so close to each other. Rock on girlfriend, no one can stop you now!

xoxo

33. Ask Alice says:

I would love to do a wine tour in California – it’s on my (as yet unpublished) life list! You’ll have a great time.

Rome would be AMAzing

34. Cannot wait to see you! WHEE!

I’m soo jealous, I want to go to Napa!! :)

36. lbluca77 says:

I’ve never been to Napa but San Francisco is such a cool city. For sure hit up Ghirardelli square in Fisherman’s Wharf, its so much fun and there is the famous bush man there.

Have fun on your trip!

Hooray for solo trips! You rocked Nola and I have no dounts that you will have a fabulous time in Napa. Going to Rome will be amazing for you. Its so much fun to plan trips. I think Europe would be a fabulous destination.