03 June 2010

More random pre-weekend thoughts

Thanks to Memorial Day, it’s a short work week but holy sh*t it doesn’t feel like it! Tomorrow is Friday and I will bust out of work to start the weekend like I did in elementary school when summer started. I get very excited about starting my weekends :)

Anyhow, the short week has me all thrown off and out of sorts so I’m to give in to the random thoughts bouncing around in my head.

Prepare to enter the vortex of my odd mind:

• Is it embarrassing that I love teen fiction? Last weekend I read the Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins and I am totally obsessed. I wish I could teleport to August when the final book comes out so I can see how it ends
  • Conan O’Brien’s tour was in New York this week and not only did his dance off with Colbert and Stewart make me cry laughing, but also my true love, John Krasinski stopped by. He’s really hot in this picture.
  • It felt weird that LOST wasn’t on this week. I feel like that will be a big void in my DVR, but my tear ducts will be happy to have some mercy
  • Tonight I’m buying tickets to a midnight showing of Eclipse for Amy and me in Napa! I can’t wait!!!!!
  • I need to start researching wineries for my trip to Napa in a few weeks…and I have not even started. Please, if you have any recommendations, send them my way!
  • A coworker shared this clip of a horribly romantic wedding proposal and I did tear up watching it. See, I’m not so dead inside! I love sappy, romantic stuff like that because I’m jealous
  • I hate coming home to an empty DVR because of summer hiatus. But, I’m sure I can fill my DVR with plenty of good/trashy TV soon, like Top Chef, Bethenny Getting Married, Rescue Me and of course, RHONJ. Cannot live without that
  • I was sad to hear Rue McClanahan died today. She was sassy on Golden Girls…I like sass
  • I got to taste Rotel and Velveeta dip (clients) for the first time today and it was AH-MAZING. I must make this again soon
  • There are Twilight pre-paid credit cards available by MasterCard. No joke, I want one but think it would look weird to have an 18 year old Jacob in my wallet :)

Phew, lots in my head this week. What’s on your mind? Any big weekend plans?

1. Hey, I knew there was a reason why I visited your site. Its because of awesome stuff like this. Appreciate it for the post. Look forward to more. See ya!

2. UGH!I did a really long reply to your post but my internet crapped out and I lost it all! Oh well, just wanted to say that it was a great article! Awesome!

3. nic says:

Dude. That would have hella sucked if she was all like, “Ummmm, can we TALK about this for a sec….ummmm…”

And then a clown came out and went all “wa-waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.”

Seriously though, the whole thing was entertaining but what got me was the signs. Loved that part. Sigh. Guess I’m not dead inside either! Hooray!

4. orangesugar says:

If you have netflix or blockbuster online rent season one of Drop Dead Diva. Season two started June 6th so you might have to find the first episode online. Love that show.

I read a story in the paper recently about adults reading YA fiction. Apparently it’s quite the trend. Some of the series that I read are YA novels and I felt a little odd about it at first, but hey a book is a book, who cares who it’s marketed to if you enjoy it.

5. Jessica says:

It’s become totally acceptable for adults to read teen and YA novels. Seriously. It’s all I read.

6. stephanie says:

You should definitely post about any new good summer shows. I was feeling overwhelemed by my DVR filling up with all the season finales I needed to catch up on and now I’m getting sad that it is empty!

7. Even though it was a 4 day week it was pretty crazy and seemed to go on forever – but as a teacher and only having 2 weeks left it is the hardest part of the year.

Hope you had a good weekend!

8. LiLu says:

I actually had Friday off, too- so it was a THREE day week for me- and it still felt like the longest week ever!!! What the french, toast?!

9. Quite a week!

I’m in Vancouver ’til tomorrow.

10. Megan says:

I loved Rue on the Golden Girls… I love anyone with sass! I cannot believe I was allowed to watch that show… i must have been like 10 years old! That show is sooo inappropriate for a 10-year old! haha.

11. Janalee says:

I loved loved loved Hunger Games. Though I didn’t know it was a series. Now I need to check it out. I totally share your love of YA ficton. Keep the recommendations coming.

12. Did the rotel+velveeta have any ground beef or turkey in it? Because that makes that combo SO MUCH BETTER.

gah i still so jealous of your napa visit, mmmmwine. but yay midnight eclipse, cannot wait for it, woo.

14. Melinda says:

What?! Not everyone carries a picture of Jacob Black in their wallet?

15. Rebekah says:

It’s been a SUPER short work week for me because I was out sick Tuesday and Wednesday… and yet why am I so exhausted?

This weekend is dedicated to cleaning the apartment, which suffered greatly while I was in the cast.

And maybe getting laid.

16. Katie K says:

I just watched that video at work – so amazing!

I would go for the 18 year old Jacob credit card if you want it. He looks older than 18 and he’s a movie star so it’s okay for grown women like us to like him!

17. Strike that last comment. I’m on crack today. Mustards is a great restaurant, per my parents recos, but Thomas Keller’s restaurant is called French Laundry!

18. Napa …. mmmm, Napa. I went biking through Napa and have fond memories of that part of the country. You’ll have a blast. Mustard(s) is a top restaurant out that way – Thomas Keller is a master chef!

Thanks for sharing the video…. I totally just started crying at my desk. And yes, that dude has totally rasied the bar on marriage proposals. and/or made it so that all dudes in filmography school are now coveted and expected to preform similarily :)

20. Lacey Bean says:

Did you hear the idiot girl in the video say “Who is that, I’m confused?!” when Stewart came out? Sheesh.

21. Allison says:

First of all, you are still dead inside. Don’t let a little tear here and there make you think any different!

P.S. I think the BF is devastated by Rue’s untimely death.

22. Totally agree about the LOST void…so sad! :(

Enjoy your weekend!!

23. Lil Woman says:

That marriage proposal was awesome!!!
    And that was so sad to hear about Rue, I loved the Golden Girls.

24. Ray says:

So jealous of your Napa trip…you are going to have a blast. This weekend I think I am headed to May Fest, I love that festival, one of my favorites.

25. Grace says:

I have so much to do this weekend. I am moving soon and I feel like the pressure is on to get things done and see the sites. I think the top of my list needs to have a big “CHILL OUT”. It sounds like you are going to have a really awesome summer. I like that you read teen fiction, organize your closet, watch Glee and go on solo vacations. It’s really like the best of both worlds.

26. Mega says:

Weekend plans include Mayfest (3 minute walk from me) and allegedly, maybe, possibly, meeting up with a good pal for dinner to use a Groupon? ;)

27. cavy says:

OH MY GOD – i read the Hunger Games series this winter! i was TOTALLY obsessed – and like you i’m dying for August to find out what happens!

28. Erica says:

Napa is fabulous! So much good wine and food. Farm at the Carneros Inn is great – we had Thanksgiving dinner there last year. Amazing food and the location is beautiful.

As for wineries, Domaine Carneros is worth a visit. They focus on sparkling wines, but even if that’s not your thing the setting is amazing. http://www.domainecarneros.com

Our B&B owners recommended Platypus Tours for wine tasting and we could not have been happier. They basically run a small (10-12 passenger) limo-bus that picks you up wherever you’re staying and drives you around all day to 4-5 different wineries. The great thing is that they typically skip the big “brand name” wineries and hit the smaller family owned places. Some are on property, some have a tasting room in a strip mall. Don’t be deterred though. These seemingly no-name places had some of the best wine and friendliest staff of anywhere we visited. The tours are reasonably priced and you can’t beat having a DD to cart you around and give you lunch and snacks. The tour groups also tend to be younger (under 40) so it’s more of a fun party atmosphere. http://www.platypustours.com/

Have a great trip!!

29. OMG right?! This week won’t just freakin’ end already!! I am with you on the teen fiction. I love romantic proposals! Someone needs to show this to my BF and tell him to get on it LOL.

30. Heidi Renée says:

Oh my gosh, that proposal! All Jason did was leave the ring box on my nightstand. I still said yes though, because I’m a sucker. Those two, however, are going to have an awesome life and I hope they tape the wedding, too. I cannot get enough of stuff like that.

31. Mel says:

I got a little choked up on that video.

I am all discombobulated this week as well. Not having an actual Monday has thrown me all off. I was sad to hear about Rue McClanahan too. One of my friends and her husband always go to Napa, their favorite winery is the Vincent Arroyo Winery (so much so one of their daughters middle names is arroyo).

When I was last in Napa I just followed my parents’ lead (they go to the Napa area at least once a year). If you want to read about which wineries I went to, I blogged about them here:

I guess it really depends on what you want. Do you want to see the flashy wineries that have okay wine or do you prefer the smaller wineries that probably have better wine but not the same “wow” factor? Anyway, in the end, it doesn’t matter where you go because the whole are is amazing.

I also highly recommend the wine at Landmark and Valley of the Moon but those are closer to Sonoma than Napa. Also, the views from Nicholson Ranch winery are amazing.

34. Yes! rotel and velveeta dip completely opened my eyes to a brand new world when I tried it at a superbowl party this year – good stuff.

I was so sad to hear about Rue McClanahan. what a great character she brought to life (in blanche) and what a great woman she seemed to be.

35. lbluca77 says:

Rue McClanahan dying made me sad. I loved the Golden Girls as a kid. Even now watching the show I laugh. And seriously those old ladies were dirty, obviously I didn’t know that as a kid though.

36. phampants says:

Julia Nunes concert this weekend at Lincoln Hall. YouTuber artist. Check her out.

37. Natalie says:

Platypus tours is awesome. They will take you to 4 or 5 wineries . They provide a picnic,snacks, bottled water and most important, a designated driver. I like smaller wineries and Favorite wineries include Elyse, judd’s hill, hagafen and graesers. The bigger ones like chanson and cakebread are supposed to be good. I didn’t like sterling because it felt like a theme park but the tram ride up was pretty cool. For dining, highly recommend ad hoc in yountville. It is a Thomas kellar restaurant- delish!!!!

38. Elizabeth says:

I was sad about Rue McClanahan too–I spent many a night cracking up to that show. Good luck finding wineries. I’m sure there is no shortage!