13 June 2010

Weekend recap: Pretty wine labels, spring haircut and Blackhawks parade

Happy Sunday everyone! Lots to share today and fortunately, I’m not hung over anymore so I can think coherently and upload lots of photos for everyone :)

Spring haircut

I love my long hair but in the summer, it’s kind of  a pain. It morphs into a frizz ball in humidity and feels like an animal laying on my neck/shoulders in the heat.

So when I got my hair cut this weekend, I was bold and went a bit shorter than normal. I do love it but I’m having a hard time adjusting. I just have to keep chanting “it’s only hair, it will grow back…..”

You may not notice a difference but I’m nitpicking on it right now

Pretty wine labels

No joke, when I look for wine, I usually buy what looks the cutest. I know what types of wine I like but when I have to narrow it down, the label can easily sway me.

So to celebrate pretty wine labels, several awesome, hilarious Chicago blogger ladies got together again to indulge in cupcakes, snacks and, well lots of wine. Seriously, lots of wine.

Last year it got pretty of control (in an awesome way) and this year was no different, including wine shots, dancing to 1990s music and screaming along to it. It was epically fun. My modesty will not allow me to post some of the things we talked about (or witty comments I made) but for me, the best part of the night was talking on hostess’ porch with the gals, laughing, screaming, drinking wine and eating custom cupcakes, check these out:

And then it turned into a dance party. I don’t remember a lot from the later parts of the night but I do vaguely remember faux riding a pony to Ginuine, doing the Single Ladies dance and making a horrified face with TC when someone halted the audio on Lady Gaga/Beyonce’s Telephone mid-song.

Oh and I woke up this morning with a massive headache and spent most of the day on the couch or in bed. I am a baller.

Hawks on parade

Finally, in case you didn’t know, the Chicago Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup. I’m not a hockey fan but it as really exciting to watch and see the city completely come together and celebrate. And what better way than with beer a ticker tape parade downtown!

Here are a few photos and more are on my Flickr page too but I will just say, it was INSANE. The fans filling downtown and Michigan Avenue was unbelievable. I had Obama rally flashbacks and couldn’t believe how many people were there. Amazing. Another reason why I love this city.

Crowd at 8:30 a.m. (Rally began at this spot at 11:30)

The Cup was in the last bus and behind the cops are PEOPLE following the parade

How was everyone else’s weekend?

1. nic says:

Holy hell those cupcakes look awesome. I’m still sad I missed the wine party, but am glad that it was a success- meaning there HAS to be another one!

2. Mel says:

We had a party like that a couple of months ago and it was a whole lot of fun.

I love your hair!

3. stephanie says:

I just love the idea of a pretty wine label party! What a blast!

4. I will pretend I was there in spirit. Pretty label wine for life!

5. Allison says:

I also buy wine based on the labels.

6. your pretty wine label party sounds awesome and is something my friends and would do! complete with the dancing. all last spring it was singing along to tswift & miley. and yes we are all adults.

cute hair, i like it shorter. and yay blackhawks! i’m sure the parade was cool to see from your office! i always wanted to go when the devils won when i was younger!

quiet weekend, nothing too exciting. lots of reading and laundry.

7. molly says:

Your hair looks super cute! Love the Blackhawks pix, too! It was total madness.

8. Lindsay says:

Your hair is so cute! I haven’t had a haircut in a year and at this point I’m nervous to go anywhere because I think the stylist will judge me for being so bad about taking care of it. I know it’s silly, but I can’t help it. I just need to take the plunge and get it over with already.

love the hair and yay for the pretty wine label party, sounds like so much fun and seriously those cupcakes look delicious!

10. Hockey is a sport that goes entirely over my head – the only thing I know about hockey is wayne gretsky and he’s like, retired?

very cute on the shorter new do!! it makes you look more sophiscated.

11. I love your hair like that! You’ve been so adventurous with it lately, what with the bangs and now the big cut–go you!

Mmmm … cupcakes.

Had a disappointing maiden voyage to Bob Chinn’s this weekend, but otherwise I can’t complain!

13. Cass says:

Loving the hair, it definitely suits you.

It’s also good to know that I’m not one of the few people who picks wine based on the label. :-) I know a decent amount about wine but I pretty label or catchy name will always make me pick it up. Plus, I’ve been saving the labels for a art piece for quite a while. Now I just have to do something with them.

14. Elizabeth says:

Those wine parties sound so fun!

Your hair is gorgeous!

15. I think your hair is perfect. Looks professional and fun at the same time!

And I love that the Blackhawks is a team EVERYONE in Chicago can get behind. There isn’t anything divisive about hockey!

16. Kyla Roma says:

Your hair is beautiful, and the wine night sounded like so much fun! The tweets that come out of those parties you guys have are always hilarious :)

It’s funny, every time I cut my hair I freak out about it as well. I really really want my hair to be long again. Must stick with the growing out process.

Cupcakes + wine = win if you ask me =)

I’ve never been to a sports rally but someday I will. I wish I could have been there when the Cardinals won the series a few years back!

18. the day cleveland wins some sort of championship is the day i’m pretty sure the city will burn. i’m scared… haha.

19. Mega says:

I took part in witnessing the stars and stripes tie the limeys in the World Cup. I drank some whiskey on Saturday night. Cleaned up a small flood in my kitchen. Fell asleep watching Mallrats on the TV. Ah, the weekends.

20. Lil Woman says:

Love the hair!!
    If we ever meet up I want a dance party and cupcakes!! :)

21. steph anne says:

I really do like your hair!! It makes you look sophisticated!

AND those cupcakes look delicious. I’m a sucker for cupcakes definitely.

22. Oooh love your hair! Looks great! And very healthy :)

23. Maki says:

Oh boy, did you really get to see the Cup? I mean, this is HUGE, Jess, HUGE! I still can’t believe Blackhawks won it – they were really great this year – no one could stop them. Oh sorry, I got carried away. I love Hockey..

Your hair definitely look shorter – I need to get mine cut too. Wine labels are really important, I think – I tend to buy when I spot interesting labels. Your weekend looks exciting as always:)

24. Arielle says:

My not caring about hockey extends to the point where I didn’t even know the Chicago Blackhawks were a team. But congrats anyway!

Your hair looks adorable and I could only wish my bangs would look half that good.

The wine party sounds like a great time even if it did lead to losing a day of weekend productivity :-)

At first I thought it was awesome to see all the people out and about in their Hawks finery. But then I had to get from the Loop to Lincoln Park and I didn’t think it was so awesome anymore.

26. Lisa says:

I love the hair!

That parade looks INSANE!!!

Your hair looks great! I have long hair as well and in the summer I wear it up much more than I care to admit, but I refuse to cut it. =) A wine party sounds like so much fun and that is one heck of a parade.

I went to a concert, took in a soap box derby, and went exploring with my 13 year old cousin.