25 July 2010

Weekend recap: Food, wine and feet

That’s right, I said FEET. First off, happy Sunday everyone! I spent a few hours yesterday and today organizing and cleaning my apartment and now it looks clean and I am exhausted. Seriously. Cleaning is no joke.

But I’m rallying because tonight is MAD MEN’s premiere. YES! I have wine on standby, ready to go.

Before I get sidetracked on that, let’s talk about the weekend. It’s still hot in Chicago, so nothing is new there.

Raise your hand if you’re a Top Chef fan? *raises hand* I love that show.

And last week, Top Chef Chicago’s winner Stephanie Izard opened her new place, The Girl and the Goat. And despite the 105 heat index and evening thunderstorms, my friend Liz and I went for a dinner and had a really great meal.

For example:

Soft shell crab with corn (my favorite dish of the night)

Goat pizzette with black kale and ricotta

Ham frites with tomato aioli and Swiss cheese dip (the fries were booked in ham fat)

The food was awesome. And paired with a nice Shiraz, I was one happy girl. I even threw caution to the wind and talked Liz into a margarita at De Cero across the street. All that and I was home by 11, I am a wild woman.

I mentioned Friday that I was finally able to pick up my wine after UPS held it hostage (slightly). And everything arrived safely and in perfect condition. That is a HUGE load off my mind.

Now finally, here’s a photo of my haul:

It’s SO GOOD to see this stuff again :)

12 bottles of wine and my votive holder made out of a wine barrel, the red underneath is a stain from the red wine that was in there. Love, love, love!

Finally, feet. I think my feet are adorable, minus the bent toes (genetic), and this summer I have finally been on a good streak with getting pedicures. The foot massage is so worth it.

So I treated and got a mani/pedi this weekend and I love the pedi so much, I cannot stop staring at it. Yoga helped me really enjoy the view this morning thanks to all the bending.

Gratuitous toe shot.

I always get OPI’s Feeling Hot, Hot, Hot on my toes. It’s the perfect coral/hot pink that looks good with every color. One day I’ll need to be more adventurous but for now, I’m sticking with my favorite :)

How was everyone else’s weekend? Do you like your feet? Do you always get the same mani/pedi polish color?

1. blaez says:

oh I have missed you, Jess!!

the toes are beautiful!! the food looks declicious I can taste it!!!

2. Fries? In HAM FAT!? Sign me UP!!!

Your votive holder is fantastico.

And I hate feet… haaaaate. But your pedi is super cute ;)

3. Michelle says:

Oh my gosh look at your stash! Jealous! I tend to like dark purple on my nails, even in the summer, and bright pinks and corals on my toes. I’m not a big fan of matchy matchy though I know a lot of people are. I always put OPI’s Siberian Nights on my nails and varying shades of pink and coral on my toes.

4. Wonderful says:

My random thoughts:

The food you ate looks amazing! I’m so jealous!

I always pick some shade of pink when I get my nails done.

I totally agree with you on the cleaning stuff. It’s seriously a work out in and of itself!

5. holy wine haul! what a stash you’ve got for a few months :)

I was wondering what all the talk about the Girl and the Goat was on twitter – yet another reason why chicago is on my ‘travel-there-immediately’ list!

6. Maki says:

Oh that fries look sooo good!!!! And the soft shell crab – bring it on! I love them!

BTW, I’ve never seen MAD MEN – People mag gave the show 4 stars I think… I think I need to check it out:)

xoxo

7. Awww, I miss De Cero’s margaritas … haven’t been there in forever (nor had an alcoholic drink in that long, too… sigh). I’ve been reading lots of lead-up to the opening of the Girl and the Goat … glad to hear a good review of the place!

I love love love pedicures! I usually change up my colors, but there are definitely shades I’ll never get and shades I favor. I think that’s just natural.

8. poodlegoose says:

The Top Chef lover in me is excited you went to Stephanie’s new restaurant! Also, good lord that’s a lotta wine. And finally, i’ve never had a mani/pedi (so much so that I first typed out mepi/pani before i realized it was wrong). Right now, I have grey on my toenails. That counts, right?

9. I think UPS was trying to siphon off some of that wine without you noticing.

My feet are so heinous right now that I’m too embarrassed to go get a pedicure because I know all the workers will talk about me. But I might have to be brave just to get that massage. Hmm, dilemma.

Look at your awesome wine haul! How fun. The votive holder is so cool.

I like my feet just fine. I love a good pedicure, but I’m too cheap to get them often. I think I do a fine job on my own, so it’s not always worth the money to me.

11. That pizza looks yummy! I just got a pedi, Essie’s Lapis of Luxury. I have some fave colors, but I like to switch it up :)

12. Mega says:

I can’t really comment on the mani/pedi (don’t know the difference) and I suppose I like my feet. They do what they have to do. Other than Friday night and 3/4 of Saturday, my weekend was good. Got a coffee table. And I can’t wait for you to invite me over so that I can drink that wine.

13. kimmy says:

i LOVE that votive holder…what a neat way to remember your trip…especially after all that wine is gone. :)

i’m obsessed w/ pedi’s in the summer! i’m always barefoot or in sandals, so i hate the calluses that go with…ick! its rough being a girl!

I need to get on the Mad Men bandwagon I guess. I’ve not watched it before.

Fries cooked in ham fat? OMG it sounds both so delicious but so bad for me at the same time. Though I kind of want them.

I do not like my feet, except when I get a pedicure, which I guess I should do more often. I’m all for fun/bright colors. I tend to go french tipped on both hands/feet but I will branch out from time to time :)

holy freakin’ wine!!!

I LOVE that wine barrel votive holder! How awesome is that. Also, how did you get the wine from UPS to your apartment? I’ve had to pick up a case of wine via UPS. That sucker is heavy!! Regardless, I’m glad that its safe and sound in your possession.

I am in desperate need of a manicure and I tend to paint my toenails bright colors in the summer as well.