01 August 2010

Weekend recap: Shopping, Sprinkles and some amazing duck

Happy Sunday everyone! I’m in the process of enjoying the most amazing leftovers ever so forgive me if I actually drool from joy on my keyboard. But I’ll get to that.

I’ve mentioned before that Nordstrom is my happy place, especially during sale time. So before the Anniversary Sale ended this weekend, my friend Liz and I went to check it out one more time…and I was a bad girl.

Being practical, I got a gorgeous deep purple cardigan and a pearl/gold necklace. Be honest, is the necklace too granny? I saw it in the older adult section on a model and now that’s all I can think about.

Being impractical, I found these adorable fingerless long gloves (cashmere, woo!) for fall and a matching cowl scarf. I cannot wait to wear them!

I fully intend on rocking the 80s that day, complete with Rick Springfield, WHAM and a little Tiffany. If only there were matching legwarmers!

And then I flashed back to another practical purchase I made with TC at the sale last weekend. I found this sweater in the teen section (I have no idea how this could fit me).

No joke, the teen section clothing is not very flattering in the boob area…for obvious reasons

Then some co-workers and I met up Saturday for lunch at Sun Wah BBQ in Uptown, where you can get peking duck and pig and it’s done with tableside presentation. Oh my god this food was incredible. Look at the ducks we got!

Yeah, I had a moment where I felt guilty eating them, but I got over it as soon as I tasted the deliciousness.

Add in some fried rice, bok choy, broccoli, homemade bao, plum sauce and noodles and it was a feast in every since. I needed a nap after.

Finally, after a nice workout today, I decided to hit up Sprinkles Cupcakes downtown because the curiosity to try it was killing me. And when I got there, I was shocked to see a line outside the door and almost wrapped around the block. So after a long wait, I got two cupcakes to bring home and a frosting shot. I’ll likely be awake until I have to go to work tomorrow. But in all seriousness, yeah, Sprinkles Cupcakes are really good. I won’t lie.

How was everyone else’s weekend?

1. Ashley says:

Wow, my mouth is watering over that duck! I’m a sucker for a cupcake. What flavors did you get?

2. Love the scarf and gloves! Cute!

3. Elizabeth says:

Being bad is SO good–if I weren’t pregnant, I would have done serious damage at the sale! I like the necklace a lot. Besides, the grannies have their necklaces from way back when, so they’re back in now!

A frosting shot?!?! That just sounds dangerous.

I love all your buys — necklace included. I want those fingerless gloves though!! So much fun. The cupcakes look amazing. I need to hit up a cupcake shop in Pittsburgh soon. A frosting shot? Good lord that sounds amazing.

6. I swear I commented yesterday, but I don’t see it here now. What I was trying to say is that I like the necklace. I have one similar to it with slightly smaller beads and it goes with a ton of outfits. Good buy.

7. Jennifer says:

Ahh cupcakes. I need one!!
    Love your outfits girl, you are so cute!!

8. Auburnkat says:

Now I want a cupcake!

How long are you going to be in NYC for?

9. Michelle says:

That necklace is GORGEOUS! Not granny at all! It looks like a J. Crew splurge!

10. barbetti says:

Okay, what is bao? Steve asked, “is that the serpent thing, the one that has “constrictor” at the end of its name?” HAHA. No, dear.

Also, I use to own a pet duck who was basically the shit. And then he died and my mom decided to take my brother and I out to lunch to cheer us up. My stepdad had the tact to suggest we eat “duck” at the Chinese restaurant. Guess what? They’re no longer married.

I love, love, love the fingerless gloves! Now you have me wanting a pair!

Once my allergies stopped freaking the eff out, it was a pretty good weekend. ;)

12. nic says:

Avoid. That was supposed to say “avoid” not “over.” I have no idea how my brain cells worked out the math on that one. I blame a Tylenol PM hangover.

13. nic says:

As long as you don’t go formal with the necklace, I think you’ll over Grannyland. Maybe with a sundress and sandals? Or a tank and some shorts? I love long necklaces like that…you could double it up and wear it shorter, or even wrap it a few times around your wrist as a bracelet. :)

14. Awesome sweater find!

Sprinkles rocks. Dave and I went to the launch party and stuffed our faces with cupcakes. Every single one is SO GOOD.

LOVE the fingerless gloves + scarf. I would have bought those too =) I don’t think the necklace is too granny; it would look great with a black shirt or dress!

And sprinkles on cupcakes? YUM.

Your 80’s attire rocks my world! I will ALWAYS be an 80s girl at heart—and I love the updated 80s fashions we are all seeing in stores today :) Plus–your purple hues are doubly amazing!! Purple is THE COLOR :) I love it. Has always been my fav—and I’ve even chosen a wedding dress that is ivory with purple in it! Awesome..huh??

You are such a little style queen! Always love when you post about shoes, purses, or clothing!!!!

17. That duck looks amazing! And I love the necklace. I don’t think there is anything wrong with us dressing like adults.

18. Jenn says:

It’s pretty rare to not see a line at the Sprinkles here in LA. I like the cupcakes, but there’s a little too much frosting for my taste.

19. Gotta love Nordstrom! The cupcakes look yum too :) Glad you had a nice weekend!

20. No necklace will look grannyish with the right outfit. I certainly don’t think that one is grannyish.

Love the outfits and no I don’t think the necklace is granny-ish…hell I would rock it! :)

22. Allison says:

jesus, I should’ve stopped at Sprinkles but Sweet Mandy B’s was pretty good too.