04 August 2010

Big love for the Big Apple

Tomorrow I’ll be on my way to New York for BlogHer and before I succumb to the bright lights and big city, I wanted to take a minute and appreciate the Big Apple.

Sure, I live in the Windy City, the third-largest city in the US, but my lust for the big city started in New York.

The first time I visited New York was a long time ago with my dad and brother. I wanted to see everything touristy and we almost did. I loved the feeling of the city, the people, the pulse and the noise (minus cars honking). I remember waking up in the middle of the night to see if the Times Square lights were still on (they were) and feeling like this was the most amazing place ever.

I’ve been to New York a bunch of times now but there is something about it that still makes me smile. I love Chicago, I love this city, but sometimes, going to New York is like going on a rollercoaster with your hands up in the air. It’s a rush.

So in prep for my trip, below is a little list of things I love about New York:

• Rockefeller Center
  • Broadway shows (the music sounds so amazing)
  • Street vendor shopping (pashminas for $5? Three please!)
  • Food (last time I was in NY, I went to Perilla, Harold’s place from Top Chef season 1, and it was incredible)
  • Central Park (Gorgeous bit of nature)
  • Walking the neighborhoods (like Chicago, each has such a great vibe, I love watching the scenery change)
  • The Met (this place still blows my mind with all the gorgeous artwork)
  • Late night tapings (I’ve seen Conan, Stewart and Letterman live, would give anything to see Colbert!)

If you want the BlogHer play-by-play, follow me on Twitter! If you don’t, well forgive me for the BlogHer-related tweets then. I’ll try to update Twitter as much as I can, pending Sprint’s reception in the hotel.

What about you? What do you love about New York? Have you been before?

1. I love the city, and living an hour away is great because it is pretty easy to pop in to meet friends and head in for the day. i only recently finally spent the night in manhattan, which was weird but the hotel where we stayed was fabulous! i loved following all your blogher tweets!

omg, and pashminas are totally my crack too!

2. Ahhh I was at BlogHer too! How did we not meet up!?!?

3. Cassie says:

I love New York too and also have my own list of favorites!

1. Eat at one of Tom Collichio’s ‘Wichcraft sandwich shops. My favorite is the one in Bryant Park, but there’s a really easy one to get to in the basement at Rockefeller Center.
    2. The Banana Pudding at Magnolia is better than any of their cupcakes. And once again, the newer Rockefeller location makes it so much more accessible!
    3. Mesa Grill is truly phenomenal. Great, different food and I normally have excellent waiters.

Honestly, I could go on and on, but I think I’ll just create a list on my blog. Well, another list because I did already post one awhile ago. You can check it out here: http://twenty-somethinginthecity.blogspot.com/2010/08/new-york.html

4. E.P. says:

I haven’t been in years, but I love NYC and cannot wait to make it back up there sometime in the near future.

Have a fantastic time this weekend, lady!

5. nic says:

“I remember waking up in the middle of the night to see if the Times Square lights were still on (they were) and feeling like this was the most amazing place ever.”

That’s the cutest thing ever! :) I hope that you still are excited by your trip there. Can’t wait to hear all about it and wish I was going too!

6. Jen says:

I will see you there!

7. NYC is on my list of places to visit! Enjoy!!

8. Mega says:

Hang out with Arielle. She knows where all the cheap booze is. I mean…she’s grand!

9. Katie K says:

Have a good trip and a good time at BlogHer! I am going to try and join you guys Saturday night at Johnny Utah’s since I live nearby.

I’m jealous of all the late-night tapings you’ve been to! I haven’t been to any… I need to get on that!

I grew up in Connecticut and used to date a guy from Jersey City, so I’ve spent quite a bit of time in New York. I love, love, love the theater there, especially musicals. I’m what you would call a Broadway snob — I haven’t seen anything elsewhere that compares to what I’ve seen there. I also love hot pretzels from the street vendors. Yum!

11. Cheryl says:

I love NY (but I wouldn’t want to live there, I don’t think). But I love the activity and hustle. I love that there is always something to do or see or place to eat. And when I am there I can’t help but feel like part of something bigger with all those people and action. That said, I am off to Ohio this weekend for a slower pace. Ironic?

12. Allison says:

have a great time and I’m sad I can’t be there.

13. No visit to NYC is complete for me without a visit to Oyster Bar at Grand Central. Love it!

14. Jen says:

Have a safe trip! I’d love to meet you at BlogHer tomorrow. :)

15. Erica says:

Welcome! Well, obviously I love NYC since I live here…there are too many favorites to list. The food, the shows, the shopping, the many parks to lay in with a wine and cheese spread on a nice day. It can be crazy and overwhelming, but you never know what you’ll stumble on and every day is an adventure. If you need any tips (or people to hang out with) while you’re here, let me know! Have a great trip!

Have fun girl, I’ll be following your tweets.

Enjoy your trip! I’ve never been to NYC. I admit, even though I work in downtown Chicago, I’m still intimidated by big cities.

18. Lauren says:

I didn’t really realize how much I LOVED New York until I moved away. NYC is my favorite place in the world. I love the anonymity, the SUBWAY, the chaos, and the variety. I love Greenwich Village and Battery Park City. Jeremy’s Ale House is very possibly my favorite bar in the city – mostly because of the location and partly because it is trashy and you drink beer out of styrofoam cups. Suits and styrfoam cups are a great combination. Ahh, that place is heaven.

Have so much fun!

LITTLE ITALY!!! Talk about delicious food =)

I also love the bagels & NY Pizza (nothing quite like it, really). I love the hustle & bustle of the city, that it never sleeps, and how awestruck I am when i’m there, even though I’ve been countless times. (Though the last time was 8 years ago. I guess I ought to remedy that!)

20. You’ve totally hit on all the reasons I love NY! Have a great time!

21. We went to NYC for an overnight a few years ago when Jason had a job interview. We stayed in the nastiest hotel I’ve ever been in, but we saw Rent on Broadway when the original Roger and Mark were back in the roles. That was definitely a big check off the life list. Have fun!

22. Lollygagger says:

I <3 NYC too. I try to make it there at least once a year but that's mostly because one of my besties lives there. :) Have fun!

23. Stevie says:

Haven’t been to NYC since I was 11, but I’ll be going back in October for my 30th birthday!

Have a blast at BlogHer! Looking forward to hearing about it from you and everyone else who’ll be there!

Ted and I took a college road trip to NYC back in the day. It was amazing. We went to a million museums and ate amazing food nonstop.

Have so much fun at BlogHer! If you get any awesome baby swag…well…I know a couple of girls. :)

25. Auburnkat says:

Where do I even begin with my love of the city? From spending time with my family and friends, to the restaurants, bakeries, coffee shops to the shopping to the bars to the energy of the city. I just love it!

Whenever I’m sleeping in the guest bedroom at my aunt’s, I sleep as good as I do when I’m home, because it feels like a second home to me.

26. Aw, have the best time :) I love New York too… I dig The Cloisters, I love conquering the subway, I love the crazy ass people watching, I love being in the country but feeling like I’m a world away, I love Broadway, I love every restaurant I’ve ever been to there, and I love that my sister lives there so I have a perpetual excuse to visit, haha!

27. Arielle says:

Obviously I love New York with a passion. I hope I get to see you at some point while you’re here!

28. Elizabeth says:

I’ve only had a whirlwind day trip from Philadelphia, so I’m excited to actually spend a few days there this time. I’m not so excited about my 3:45 am wake up call, but it’s definitely going to be worth it!