29 August 2010

Weekend recap: Pig roast, picnics and movies in the park

Happy Sunday everyone! It’s SO hard to believe it’s Labor Day next weekend, yikes where did summer go?

Well, rather than dwell on that, let’s dive into the weekend because I’m holding on to the bliss the weekend brings for a few more hours :)

Movies in the Park

One of my favorite things Chicago does in summer is Movies in the Park, a free event where old and semi-new movies are shown in parks around the city. It’s BYO…everything, from food to drink to chairs.

And when WG2 saw that Julie & Julia was playing, well with one text message, I had a tote bag packed and was on my way to meet her at the park! Sure, our park was near the freeway and didn’t have a bus that was running after the movie, but it was a gorgeous night and a ton of fun.

Here is my tote bag of goodies, yes, that is champagne, white wine, hummus and fresh veggies, which complimented her Pastoral cheese plate deliciously.

But you can see some people take it very seriously, like the group of men behind us. Nice set up.

Watching a movie outside and under the stars is a ton of fun. I cannot believe it took me so long to do this!

Pig Roast

Until this weekend, I have never been to a pig roast. Apparently, we stay true to brats in Wisconsin.

And when my boss told me she was having one at her home and that I was invited, the first thing I said was, “I’ve never been to one, so I’m going to take pictures, but don’t worry, I’m not casing your house.”

Full disclosure.

And we got there just in time to watch that piggy being cut up for the masses.

Yeah, I know, little gross.

But put that baby with some mac and cheese and cornbread (with real corn inside!) and it was a very delicious meal. Fortunately, I had some self control and did not go back for seconds. And I avoided this being an ugly eat too (mostly because co-workers were there).

Yeah the mac and cheese was orgasmic

Other random weekend highlights

I slept until 10 a.m. (NEW RECORD), read Mockingjay and started One Day, laid in bed late each day and did not clean my apartment. But that can always wait for next weekend. Also, if someone else has finished Mockingjay, please email me! I want to talk about it!

How was your weekend? Does your city have Movies in the Park?

Edited 8/30: So in a multitasking FAIL, I forgot to mention I got to FINALLY meet Alexa from Cleveland’s a Plum this weekend. Yeah, angels sang when we met, it was magical. I’ve been hugged by the Plum. We also got to see Wrigleyville’s finest out on a Saturday night, thank goodness it wasn’t game weekend!

I am so excited that you were able to meet Alexa! I can’t wait to meet her (and we even live in the same state). The movie in the park sounds awesome I would love to do that.

This weekend I was in Minneapolis with Kyla, Nora, and Lisa!

2. Grace says:

Yum! I’d like to eat that roasted pig on that fancy table while watching Julie and Julia.

3. Allison says:

i love the movie in the park idea! That guy is serious with his set up.

4. stephanie says:

Movie in the park sounds like a blast! I can’t believe that set up. People seriously do that???? You could probably have a whole post about the different setups people have!

5. molly says:

Holy Sh*t! I can’t believe that set up! I thought I’d seen it all at Ravinia and M. Park!

6. Janalee says:

I haven’t read Mockingjay yet but I picked it and Catching Fire up this weekend. If the way I’m tearing through Catching Fire is any indication I’ll have them both read by the end of the week.

7. um did you immediately introduce yourself to the men who brought that table? I SO WOULD HAVE. they seem like my kind of folks. although you did bring an impressively well-stocked tote bag, so brava to you.

8. Stevie says:

I love outdoor movies in the summer! There are several places around here that do movies, including a big screen right under the Space Needle. It’s so fun to pack a picnic and a soft blanket and watch a movie outside. It’s one of those quintessential summer activities :-)

Those guys who set up that table are hard core. I don’t even decorate my house that well. ;)

My weekend was good! Noah’s Ark, Ho-Chunk and other Wisco fun!

10. I like your snacks. Did you bring those classy plastic champagne glasses that come in pieces and snap together? Those men were way serious about their setup, wow.

11. That’d be called a Pig Pickin’ in the South. Loads of fun!

I adore Alexa … had a great time when I met her … was sad I was out of town this weekend to miss her appearance. Glad you finally got to hug the real deal – she’s a special one!

12. I saw E.T. in the park here and it was awesome, but no one got near as fancy as that awesome black and white tablecloth setup!! Slick!

13. Ray says:

I still haven’t been to a movie in the park! I think about it every time I see it advertised and then I never get around to it.

14. Fun weekend! That pig picture was INTENSE ha. I’ve seen one on the roasting stick (?!?) but never all destroyed like that!

We were in Chicago this weekend celebrating my hubby’s birthday, thanks to Foodbuzz. It was a fabulous weekend—lovely weather, lovely company…we seriously didn’t want to come home!

15. it was so nice to finally meet you this weekend!!

even though our night out or meeting me wasn’t recap worthy apparently, haha.

blame merkel’s…

16. Girl, come south! We’ll show you how to cook a pig :)

Those guys’ table reminds me of some of the ones I saw at Ravinia last summer. Crazy!

18. eemusings says:

We sure do but I’ve never been to any of the movies! It’s also hard seeing as I work weekends :(

19. Jamie says:

I’m going to start the Hunger Games book soon. I’m also very bummed I missed out on that movie in the park because of this stupid summer cold. I can’t breathe and that wouldn’t have been much fun :(

20. jenn says:

I finished Mockingjay!! Read from cover to cover (well…electronic page to page on my Kindle) and didn’t stop. That entire series was amazing – can’t wait for the movies! :)