12 September 2010

Weekend recap: Festivals, friends and food

Tagged: Chicago, Food, Friends

Happy Sunday everyone!

I’m really glad I am off of work tomorrow because…I’m exhausted.

This weekend two blogger friends were in town, which means I got to hang out with them and indulge in several things I love about Chicago.

Including drinks at my favorite bar, The Violet Hour, more drinks, cheese and bread in TKTC’s garden, late-night tacos at Big Star (seriously, worst and most frustrating wait ever) and a pretty label wine party with more blog friends, where we knocked out seven bottles of wine and danced until 3 a.m.

I also hit up two craft/air fairs this weekend: Renegade and Lakeview East. I love seeing the creative, fun stuff people make and get inspired to redo my apartment in a more cohesive, adult, me style.

Sure, a lot of the stuff isn’t cheap, but it’s nice to support the local neighborhoods and get some fresh air. Oh, and drink beer on the street. Can’t forget that. And you get to see adorable stuff like this guy swimming down the street.

I wasn’t really looking for anything at the festivals, but did go in with a mental budget so I didn’t get a little loose with my credit card. And sadly, at both places, fate worked against me and many of the things I wanted weren’t available. But, Lakeview East was better to me and I got two handmade items and this new piece of artwork.

I’m totally in love with it and got a discount because the show was closing today. Love.

Then to close out the weekend, one of my platonic manfriends took me to a belated birthday dinner at Kith & Kin. Yes, it was delicious. And I got to try something a little different: a spread of fois gras on homemade brioche with a creme brulee-like butter topping. Insane.

So that was my crazy weekend! How was everyone elses weekend?

1. nic says:

Did you see those crazy ass human statue people in costume at Lakeview East? I thought that was bizarre, but then I saw your astronaut pic and am not so sure anymore.

Also, lucky you! You got to eat at Kith & Kin…I just read this week that they booted their chef (who was making a commute from Atlanta) because of some menu tiff or some junk. Who knows what will happen to the food now. Wa wa.

2. Akirah says:

Glad you had a fun weekend. I love going to festivals. I’m gonna have my eye on the lookout for a fall-like festival in the next two months. Can’t wait!

3. Sounds like a fabulous weekend!

4. Elizabeth says:

That sounds like an amazing weekend, and that brioche looks amazing!

I love Renegade! I’ve only been to the one at the Pulaski Fieldhouse. Some year I want to get to the one you went to, especially since the weather is better. It is cold walking around Chicago in December, until you get to the fieldhouse with a million other people and sweat your balls off!

6. Grace says:

What a fun weekend! And a day off makes it even better!

7. Jaime says:

Sounds like a fun, crazy weekend! I did some shopping, went out w/ friends, watched the Patriots…good weekend for me too!

8. Tara says:

Looks like you had a great weekend! I wish I had today off too!

Looks/sounds fun! Hooray for discounted art, platonic man friend dates and all around good times. Enjoy the day off. I’m a little jealous ;)

10. The weather on Sunday was PERFECT for art fairs! Too bad I had to spend it inside doing about 7 loads of laundry after skipping that chore for 2 weeks. We were desperate. =)

11. love the print! So cute!

Looks like a fun weekend…I went to a craft fair myself but it was more country style crafts.

Sounds like a fantastic weekend, Jess. The new print is awesome and hooray for discounts. Both festivals sound like a lot of fun, wish they had things like that around here.