19 September 2010

Weekend recap: Colorado!

Tagged: Food, travel

Happy Sunday everyone! I know it’s been several days since I posted here, but it’s for good reason: I just got back from a semi-solo vacation to Colorado!

Growing up in the Midwest, mountains were non-existent, so I decided to pack up and get up close and personal with them, and visit the lovely Doni and Ashalah along the way :)

During my adventure, I split my time between Denver and Boulder and let me say this, Boulder definitely won me over. Denver was cool and had great food (and beer) but two of the big highlights from the trip came in Boulder.

On my first day in Boulder, I was initiated to the city by hiking the Royal Arch trail in Chatauqua Park. Yes, I’m not a big nature person and I’ve never been on an official hike but I thought, no big deal, it’s not like we’re climbing a small mountain.

WRONG. I thought I was in shape, and then I went on this hike. Altitude definitely affected me because for part of it because I was having trouble breathing and focusing on the trail. It was only three miles, but it was intense with steep inclines, high rocks to step on and even some mini-rock climbing.

In all honesty, I didn’t think I would make it to the top and almost turned around to go back.

But I didn’t, I kept with it and I made it!!:

You can see the visible exhaustion and joy on my face. Sure, I complained a little bit, but I did feel a real sense of accomplishment at this. I am woman, hear me roar!

The next day, I was a little sore, so I made my bonding time with nature more low-key by going on a drive with Doni through Estes and Rocky Mountain National Park (along with some wine/beer tasting along the way).

The views were beyond amazing. I mean, I just don’t even know how to describe it. Being from a flat-landed part of the country, it just truly took my breath away. Here are some photos:

I would absolutely go back to Colorado (and want to soon!) and next time I want to go white water rafting and hit up more of the breweries that cover Colorado. Seriously, the local beer I had was delicious. Great Divide Brewing is one of my new favorites.

How was everyone else’s weekend? Are you a big camper or outdoorsy person?

New movie review: Man candy and bullets in The Town (seriously, Ben Affleck cleaned up NICE)

1. Gord was in Colorado last year and loved it!

2. Wonderful says:

Oh I did the Royal Arch too. It kicked my ass. I was so sore the next day but proud of going all the way to the top.

3. Mega says:

Those pictures are awesome. And hiking 3 miles up a mountain is no small feat, I’m impressed. I think you have given me an idea of where my first 2011 trip will take me. I can’t wait to do some outdoorsy stuff in December.

4. ahhh! absolutely gorgeous! sounds like a great weekend! and YAY for hiking!
    i need to go to colorado!

5. I’ve only ever driven through Colorado. These pics make me actually want to try visiting, although I’m afraid of heights so the hiking probably wouldn’t happen.

6. Elizabeth says:

I’ve actually never been but would love to someday! I’m glad you had a blast.

love that last pic of you and doni, so cute. yay colorado!

8. Lacey Bean says:

I am DYING to visit Colorado! So jealous!

Estes Park is one of my favorite places in the world. That’s awesome you got to see that area. Colorado is so beautiful. I can’t believe people move from there to flat, boring Illinois :-)

Every time I am in a city in the West, I am in awe. It’s so crazy to me to be in the middle of a city and see enormous mountains not too far in the distance. We are planning a trip to Yellowstone and Glacier this summer and I can’t wait to get back out there! Hopefully we won’t run into any bears on trails like Jack Hanna recently did. Fingers crossed!

11. so funny that i was in boulder the weekend before!!! glad you had a nice time!

12. Ashalah says:

SO glad you came out here to visit and had such a good time :) Colorado is amazing. You should totally move here ;) Or visit really soon!!

13. Doniree says:

LOVED having you here! I’m so glad you had fun and loved Boulder and the mountains. Come back!

14. Knife to the heart! Those pictures, insatnat homesickness! I’m so glad you had fun, Chatauqua is amazing, but next time get thee up into the mountains!

15. wow. what an amazing view. glad you had a good time!!

16. Since you read my blog, you know I’m an urban camper … I’m not the most outdoorsy person, but I love camping and hiking and cycling and doing things in the outdoors. My husband has banned us ever vacationing in Colorado, because he’s quite certain we’ll convince ourselves to pack up and move there. And if it wasn’t for family in the Chicago area, I’m quite certain we would.

Colorado is definitely a beautiful state. I’m so glad that you were able to go and experience a little part of it (and meet Doni and Ashley!).

18. I adore Colorado. Glad you liked it too!

19. L.C.T. says:

Colorado is so easily my favourite state – love it! :)

20. L.C.T. says:

Colorado is so easily my favourite state – love it!

21. Grace says:

Colorado is so beautiful. I’m glad you got to go on a hike. It’s worth it!

22. Not even a little out doorsy, but I do like to hike. I haven’t been to Colorado in years and would love to go back. My biggest memory is sitting on the balcony of our condo, marveling at the fact that there was snow in June, haha!

Glad you had fun!
    That view looks amazing.

24. Stevie says:

Fabulous! So glad you had a great time. I’ve never been to Boulder, but several of my friends went to college there and have the best memories from living there. I’ll definitely have to visit at some point in my life.

The great thing about living in Seattle is that there is plenty of city life, but we’re so close to the mountains that it’s so easy to get back to nature for the weekend. I love camping and hiking and there are endless places to do both around here!

25. Akirah says:

You go to so many cool places and I am totally jealous. Glad you had fun!