20 September 2010

Kitchen adventures: Eating my vegetables

Tagged: Food

I may be adventurous with food in restaurants but I am not with other parts of my diet. I love cheese, carbs and….more cheese. I go to these types of food for snacks, meaning I don’t eat a lot of grains or vegetables.

I don’t avoid them but I don’t exactly…run to them.

But lately, I’ve been trying to change that, especially with the veggies. Mexico is about a month and a half away and I need to get back on the pre-vacation routine that includes logging my calories (going strong!), working out and NOT drinking wine every chance I can multiple times a day.

Really, I wish that last part WAS part of the routine. Anyhow, one way I’m trying to stay healthy and eat my veggies is to incorporate them in my snacking routine and meals whenever I can.

Example #1: Cooking

I found a recipe for Flatbread with Pancetta and Asparagus on the Cooking Light Web site, yum. It called for asparagus but I decided to kick it up a notch and added zucchini, tomatoes and sweet onion instead. Not the epitome of healthy but it’s a start.

Example #2: Snacking

At work, I’m trying to avoid my co-workers never ending candy stash (damn you!) by having some healthy snacks available. Sometimes, I cannot avoid the lure of the candy jar, but I do enjoy my veggie mid-morning snack.

Lately, I’ve been loving my medley of green/red peppers and sugar snap peas. One of my foodie friends said that I need to have “color” on my plate, so I get the most diverse nutrients, so I’m trying to put that into practice.

Yes, veggies don’t taste like candy, but it makes me a feel a little less guilty when I do reach for the jar. Or it curbs how much of it I actually want/eat.

I’m also embracing my love of veggies and hummus too. Seriously, is there anything better than that…that’s not candy, cake, cupcakes, brownies or beer and wine? I don’t know.

What about you? What do you usually snack on? What’s your favorite vegetables to snack on or cook with?

1. It’s all about the green beans. I do a chili-garlic green bean as a side dish pretty often, and I adore it.

2. Heidi Renée says:

I’m sitting around while my parents take a nap and you just convinced me to go get some red pepper and hummus. Good thing we don’t have any wine or I’d be into that too.

3. Not a fan of veggies but that looks/sounds good.

I love veggies and hummus. And pretzels. I try to stay away from candy at the office but sometimes I can’t resist a peppermint patty.

5. Kim says:

Trader Joe’s sells these little single-serve squeeze things called Crushers. Marketed for kids, but since my kids don’t like them and I think I need more fruits & veggies myself, I eat/suck down one Apple Carrot crusher a day. You can eat them on the go, fast. Yum.

I like munching on carrots but I’m pretty sure the lathering of ranch dressing I put on it cancels the goodness of it.

7. Jaime says:

I usually snack on salty things…. but that flatbread looks yum!

8. ag. says:

yummm, sugar snap peas! it’s great when you can find veggies that you actually love. i like to snack on grapes instead of candy…of course not quite as delicious but it’s refreshing and a good fill in.

I grew up eating pretty much no vegetables (I don’t count mashed potatoes as veggies), so getting them in my diet as an adult has been difficult. I have some definite texture issues. There are some veggies I really like all on their own — broccoli, any kind of purple lettuce, avocados, sweet potatoes, most types of squash, spinach, etc. — but some I just can’t handle. I puree a lot of veggies into soups to get them in my system. I’ve found I like the flavor of them just fine; it’s how they feel when I’m chewing them whole in my mouth that I can’t handle.

10. stealthnerd says:

I like snacking on edamame and I also like chickpeas. Lots of recipes say you should roast them, but I end up just frying them b/c I don’t have the patience to roast. But they are great b/c you can put whatever you like on them. I usually go for salt, white pepper, garlic powder, and paprika. I toss the chickpeas into a frying pan with a tiny bit of olive oil and after I coat them I add all of the spices and heat until they brown up a little bit. They are soooo yummy!!

11. Rebecca_C says:

Hmmm…and I wonder just who is suggesting you eat color? Haha! It works though! If you’re really wanting candy though, my favorite trick is to get a cup (and I mean one 8 oz cup) of lowfat chocolate milk from the milk machine. Chocolatey and filling….more nutrition than a candy bar and usually kills the craving…for me at least.

12. Akirah says:

I like to snack on cheesy stuff. And carbs. I found a way around this by buying those 100 calorie packs. And rice cakes. I also snack on the individually wrapped prunes. Gotta love fiber!

13. jen says:

i’m big on snacking on baby carrots and grapes. i also love cut up apples with some peanut butter to satisfy my sweet tooth. and yes, i loveeee veggies and hummus :)

14. Kyla Roma says:

I’m a big snacker- my favourites are bringing a handful of almonds to work, or veggies & dip, or (if I don’t mind annoying people with the smell lol) popcorn! Popcorn is my favourite, hands down :)

15. Grace says:

I love food in general. The only thing that I could go without is meat. Don’t get me wrong, BBQ is about the best thing in the world, but as a regular diet I eat lots of fruits and veggies. I agree though they are difficult to incorporate into a diet, especially as a snack. Bell peppers are really good for you and great with hummus. Nuts are good snacks too. They are the good fat.

16. Stevie says:

I think I came out of the womb with my mum saying “The more color on your plate the better!” It’s so true. All those colorful veggies are so tasty, and our brains actually respond very strongly to all that color, so the phrase is definitely true!

Veggies and hummus is a great snack. I also LOVE raw almonds. They do have a lot of calories, but there is tons of protein and good fats in them! I don’t have much of a sweet tooth (I would much rather have an extra helping of fries or another glass of wine…or both) but when I do want something sweet I’ll eat some dark chocolate, or apples and peanut butter.

I can’t resist Oreo cookies or ginger snaps, though. :-)

17. Caz says:

woo good job!

I’m a bad person to ask because I actually LOVE veggies and don’t have a sweet tooth at all. But I do hear ya on the carbs! mmmm pasta.

I find a good way to get veggies in is to add my hot main meal to a big pile of baby spinach. The heat wilts it and mixes into the sauce of your pasta/stirfry/etc. and you easily get another serve or 2 of veggies.

18. Something that helped me eat more veggies is dipping carrots in hummus or almond butter. Carrots are SO dense and filling and just a little bit of almond butter or hummus makes them taste so much yummier :-)

That pizza looks super tasty! I never think to put zucchini on pizza but I’m sure it’s good.

My favorite non-junky snacks are chips and salsa, and pretzels with peanut butter. Or just a plain banana. Carrots and hummus aren’t bad, either. Depends on the hummus though. I haven’t been adventurous enough to make my own so I’m trying all the ones in the store first.

20. Lindsay says:

I did a kitchen adventures post on my blog, too! Unfortunately, my recipe wasn’t the healthiest, but it was yummy. I think I’ll try your flatbread recipe next.

21. Hummus and veggies are AWESOME! It’s no fuzzy peaches or chocolate covered almonds – but still pretty freakin’good. My work has a candy stash as well. Also, sponsors bring in lunch about once a week. It’s hard to be good!