26 September 2010

Weekend recap: Phones and shoes

Happy Sunday everyone!

It’s officially really fall in Chicago. Only in the Midwest does the temperature drop 20-30 degrees overnight.

But even with the change in temperatures, I had a lovely little weekend, where I finally started utilizing a few of my gift cards, you know, the things I tend to hoard? Yeah, well I started really USING them this weekend. Not all of them, but just a few.

I may be a purse girl but I love shoes too and lately, I’m in BAD need of fall shoes. And with the entrance of straight leg jeans to my wardrobe, I need a few more options to wear with them.

And because I’m behind on trends, I decided to use my Nordstrom rewards certificate to get a pair of TOMS shoes. Everyone I know that has a pair of TOMS loves them and I support the company’s mission to give a pair of shoes to someone in need.

Are they super fashionable? No. But they are seriously comfortable and look good with straight leg jeans. Yes. Win/win.

I can’t wait to wear them this week, look how cute they are!

The other new addition to my house goes back to my birthday. Yes, I know it’s over but I finally used another gift card I got for it on Friday, one that was insanely nerve wracking and thrilling at the same time: iPhone.

Not my actual iPhone

YES, it is here, in my house, sitting next to me on the couch right now. I put my big girl pants on Friday and walked into the Apple Store to get it and after a few panicked moments, my Blackberry was dead, contacts were transferred and I was the proud owner of a new baby girl iPhone.

And as with all new parents, the first few days were an adjustment, including late nights (trying to figure out how it works and downloading apps). I still don’t totally know what I’m doing, but so far so good.

So if you have any app recommendations or want to try face time with me, let me know!!! I’m dying to take advantage of both.

Yes, right now I’m a little obsessed with my phone. I cannot stop searching the app store, bus tracking for friends and I actually get giddy at text messages. I’m 16 all over again.

How was your weekend? Are you doing fall clothes shopping right now?

Movie Review: Easy A. Let’s see if it gets the grade included in the title :)

1. Allison says:

I think there’s a pair of gold Tom’s with my name on it. You better believe I will gold sequined shoes.

2. Grace says:

I’ve been thinking about getting a pair of Tom’s. I have a gift certificate to use too for shoes. But when I went in to try some on they didn’t have my size and the sales lady said “they are not all that great. Not even comfortable. I don’t know why people like them” which made me second guess myself. Let me know what you think after a day of wearing them. I still want a pair. :)

I love Tom’s shoes and yet I don’t own a pair yet. There is a store nearby where you can paint your own pair of tom’s! How fun is that? I should probably do it sometime :)

Congrats on the iPhone! I may have to take the plunge some day soon myself!

woo for toms and an iphone, so exciting! seriously i messed around with my iphone so much when i got it, it’s amazing. i recommend the imdb app (it’s free!) and i use it all the time and as a hollywood lover i think you’ll appreciate it.

5. Congrats on your new purchase! All I hear from Sweets is how much he wants the iPhone … it’s good to know one less person out there is talking about it, because she actually has it in hand. =)

I’m not much of a shopper, but I actually did brave the stores this weekend! I got some new shirts at PacSun, and a new pair of jeans and a new work outfit at the Gap. Oh, and some jalapeno crunchy things at Trader Joe’s that are delicious. Yum. :)

7. S. says:

Hello there – iphone app recommendation: Talking Tom; it’s funny!! Groupon also has an app. I love my iphone too.

I want an iPhone badly, but not badly enough to make the switch from Verizon to AT&T. AT&T has my Internet service and that’s all they’re getting from me. But the phone is just so damn pretty. So I wait…and wait…until it goes to another provider. Meanwhile, my poor flip phone is on its 9th life!

I haven’t switched to the new OS for the iPhone but I still love my 3GS one. You should share your favorite apps with us once you’ve had it awhile!

I really want to go fall clothes shopping. I have all these coupons to use at The Limited. Also I need some more straight leg jeans. Which ones are your favorites?

10. April says:

I love the Toms shoes… I want some so bad but keep putting off pulling the trigger!

And congrats on the new iphone, welcome to the club :)

11. Toms and iPhone — story of my life. You will love them both.

12. I want an iPhone so badly- awesome bday gift!!

13. I’m so jealous of your iPhone!! Mine is the prehistoric OG version from 3 years ago and I am in desperate need of an upgrade!

I would love to get a pair of TOMS shoes. I’ve been thinking about it for a while and just really need to take the plunge. Good for you for going out and getting the iphone! I am sure you will get used to it in no time. =)

15. Stevie says:

I got my Evo about a month ago and LOVE it. Especially considering my previous phone was…well…just a phone. I used it for phone calls and text messages and that was it. I’ve been trying desperately to not turn into one of those assholes who can’t stop whipping out their phone every second, but it’s damn near impossible. I love it. And my boyfriend got one yesterday so it’s a little ridiculous in our house right now. We’ve pretty much ignored each other for the past 24 hours!

16. You are making me grieve for my iPhone. I can’t get onto AT&T in the US without a $500 deposit since I have a US credit history, so my poor beautiful phone is sitting around, deactivated, while I use a cheap Blackberry knockoff from Boost Mobile.

*sniff*

Urbanspoon is an awesome app, though!

Those shoes def. so look comfy!! :) I like!