10 October 2010

Weekend recap: Farmers market and college football

Happy Sunday everyone! It’s near 80 in Chicago right now and it actually feels like summer…in October. Weird.

Anyhow, this weekend was celebrating two more things I love about fall: college football and farmer’s markets. Sure, the latter is actually more of a summer thing, but for me, it’s more about fall.

I love college football. I don’t get to watch it live or on TV nearly enough so any opportunity I get, I take it. And this weekend, I got to watch my favorite team (the Wisconsin Badgers) play Minnesota in Madison. I LOVE watching games at Camp Randall, even if it’s 80 degrees and I’m sitting in the sun most of the day sweating like a wh*re in heat. Sadly, I only make it up there once a year so I savor it as much as I can.

That includes indulging in some great, beer battered cheese curds (YUM), New Glarus Spotted Cow (awesome beer) and the farmers market around the state capitol.

I suck at going to farmer’s market in Chicago because I am not a weekend morning person. I get up early five days a week, so Saturday/Sunday, I take my time leaving the house. This is why I never make it to the local farmer’s market. But in Madison, I get up early and hit the square before the game, visiting my regular vendors, like this guy:

I love walking around the square, seeing the fresh produce, fruit, flowers and seasons decorations.

And this time, I picked up some stuff I’m wicked excited about, including:

• Homemade honey and honey shooters (yes, shots of honey)
  • Wisconsin maple syrup lollipops (YES!)
  • Green peppers the size of my head
  • Freshly made kettle corn
  • Honey crisp apples (LOVE these)
  • And this cutie……

Yep, I’m going to try and grow my own basil. I have no idea if it will work but I’ll give it a try!

How was your weekend? What are your favorite things to pick up at the market?

1. Amanda says:

I wish people at our farmer’s markets wore awesome bee hat’s like the guy selling the honey.

2. steph anne says:

I’m so with you about not being able to wake up in time to go to the farmer’s market although I’d love to do that one day!!

i am so like you, i always want to go to farmer’s market but good god is it hard to get up early on a saturday, haha. but seriously your purchases sound amazing, honey shooters!?! i am sold.

4. Sounds like fun!

I love the smell of basil.

Happy Thanksgiving :)

I love farmer’s markets =) And anything that involves watching football and tailgating (And ahh! cheese curds. YUM) is just amazing. When I go to farmer’s markets I always pick up goat cheese and some kind of bread. Every single time!

Homegrown basil is the BEST. Seriously. It’s so much more flavorful and aromatic than the stuff you buy at the store. Hope the growing goes well for you!

I had an apple cider donut yesterday so my autumn is officially awesome. :)

7. Allison says:

i love growing my own basil!

8. jenn says:

Bummer – sad I misesd you! We live in Madison now, and have football season tickets! We were out partying before the game – you could have stopped by our tailgate! :)

9. You need to see football in the south! Although your tailgate may be a little more gourmet than they do it here.

I’ve got a basil plant and the one thing I’ve learned is it needs A LOT of water.

10. Yum! Cheese curds!

Good luck with the basil but if it doesn’t fly don’t lose faith, try again in the spring, this isn’t really the season for it.

11. Years ago, my alma mater played Wisconsin in Madison. Friends and I road tripped there for the weekend. And though we were the recipients of A LOT of heckling (mental note: wear red in Madison on game weekends), it was an absolute blast. UW students and alumni REALLY support their team and made for a really great experience, even for us visitors!

12. I got a basil plant a while back and it died on me. I was sad. Maybe you’ll do better than I did!

Glad you got to go to a game. I watched mine on TV and it made my whole weekend.

Sounds like a fun weekend….I love farmer’s markets too.

14. Fresh kettle corn owns my life. Like, seriously.