19 October 2010

Feeling skinny but being hungry

Tagged: Food, Random

Recently, I heard a friend use the phrase “nothing tastes as good as skinny feels” as her mantra to lose weight and I was really taken aback. Sure, I’ve heard it before, but after letting it rattle around in my brain, I was pretty disturbed by it.

I hate that phrase, partially because it’s true and partially because it’s sick.

As someone who is an emotional and over eater and can’t say no to food, I’m all too aware of  how amazing the “skinny days” feel and that they are sometimes too few and bar between.

On my skinny days, I can’t help but touch my stomach (because it feels flat!) and put on the tighter shirts sans cardigan because damnit I’m feeling skinny and want to show it off!!

But along with this high, comes the nagging fear. The fear that it won’t last, which can turn food into the enemy because rather than nourish or satisfy you, it is the one thing that can ruin how great you feel.

Or you don’t deny yourself because if you’re feeling great today, that means you will no matter what you eat right? Tootsie Rolls? Sure! A few more snacks here and there? Why not? You’re looking hot and surely ONE snack won’t change that?

That is until you wake up the next day and you don’t feel so skinny. Add on hormones and that euphoric high is knocked down to size and it takes your self esteem with it.

The truth is, women’s weight fluctuate very easily. I look at a cookie and I start retaining water or even touch a Tootsie Roll and my hips start to grow. And even if you switch to all veggies or stuff your face full of gum to curb the craving, your weight will still fluctuate, no matter how much you try to stop it.

Yeah, being a woman is TOUGH.

Skinny does feel great, but you know what doesn’t: hunger. And the kind of hunger that makes you start to lose your mind or turn into a 24/7 b*tch while trying to achieve something you may have all in your head.

And I gotta say, I’m going to quote Nene from RHOATL (I can’t believe it), because her quote, “I’m a size 10. I could be a size 8 if i wanted to, but i’m effin hungry,” is SO true.

What about you? Any thoughts?

1. Elizabeth says:

I still think our culture has such a warped view of what’s healthy. If you’re depriving yourself of food and essential nutrients, how can you even start to get anything done? It’s just abusive!

2. Alas, I’ve been off track since the spring :(

3. stephanie says:

Love the quote because it is so true. That is how i feel about myself. Sure. I could work out, but I truly don’t enjoy it. I could stop eating so much pasta and cheese….but no thanks! I know if I put more effort forth I could lose weight, but at this point. I am content with eating pasta every day and cheese at every meal! I’ll try to make other sacrafices elsewhere. But I eat when I am hungry!

4. Kim says:

“I’m a size 10. I could be a size 8 if i wanted to, but i’m effin hungry,”
    That is actually pretty great!

The “skinny” saying is simply stupid. Lots of stuff feels and tastes good. Skinny can be bad. How about some balance, people? Enjoying yourself and your life and appreciating your health (mind & body). Once you get that. you can learn to enjoy the sweet stuff without being excessive in either direction (over-indulgence or total avoidance).

5. that skinny quote has always unsettled me…it’s just not anything I feel sounds right coming out of anyone’s mouth.

now, weight has never been an issue for me but making poor food choices has been. I used to willingly and ignorantly choose fast food (this is before college and little during) over fresh, home-cooked food. now I’ve educated myself on various things and that has made of all the difference, as well as just simply choosing to choose better. but I still allow myself “indulgences” just not all the time or every day like I used to.

6. I’ve heard that phrase a lot having done Weight Watchers, and I’m not a huge fan of it.

BUT

WW does teach a good lesson in that if you eat the healthy stuff, the fruits and veggies and whole grains and such, you can fill yourself up and not feel hungry AND still indulge occasionally. That’s the attitude behind the poorly worded phrase. Plus, you sort of back off the calories and bad stuff slowly so your body can adjust.

I hope that doesn’t sound preachy … I totally understand how you feel. And I get so pissed off at how easily men can lose weight.

i relate to the last quote oh too much, haha. not only am i hungry but i love food too much too! then again i just need my motivation to work out back and all will be fine again in the world on weight loss, at least i’d like to think so,haha.

8. Paula says:

In my head, being skinny equates to me being miserable. Not because I want to be bigger, but because the times I HAVE been very slim it has been due to me being on the verge of depression, of losing my appetite, of not being able to think about eating even though I WANTED to . . . and I love my food way too much to feel like that, and I personally don’t want to go through misery to be thin.

That being said, I could stand to lose a good ten pounds and, provided I do that the sensible way, and still enjoy my food, i hope i will be happy when I reach that point this time.

9. San says:

I really hate that society tells us women to be “skinny” to be desirable.

What about healthy and strong?
    Those are much more important attributes I want to think about when I think of my body.

You have the right attitude. Eating healthy (and indulging every once in a while) is good.

Malnutrition is never sexy.

10. I HATE THAT SAYING! HATE IT! You know what else I hate? The term “skinny”.

After a long time of fighting TOOTH AND NAIL to be skinny I’ve decided that’s not what I want to be anymore.

I want to be healthy and fit and strong.

You know what else feels and tastes good?

Amazing food that melts in your mouth. So good that you literally close your eyes and make a moaning sound. Even better if it comes with good wine, good friends and good conversation. I’ll take experiences and TASTES like that over being “skinny” any day!

11. Yeah, don’t get me wrong, I really like being thin, and when I start packing on the pounds, I freak. But I LOVE FOOD!!! And yeah, the whole fluctuating weight thing sucks, ha ;)

12. Kristin says:

I actually like the quote. Because when I am feeling good about myself (skinny, healthy, toned, whatever word you want to use) it tastes much better than the 5th dessert in a week or that late night fast food. Moderation and balance, isn’t that the key to a healthy physical body?

13. Grace says:

I think it’s much better to eat than to starve yourself for a smaller dress size. Eat healthy meals with fats and sugars in moderation and it’s all good. The thing I hate is when women chastise themselves for having an extra indulgence. Life is too short for that. I try to keep things in moderation as much as possible but sometimes I don’t and that’s ok.

14. Melinda says:

Amen sister! I don’t want to miss out on food just to “feel” skinny.

15. I sometimes use that as my mantra, but it’s more to remind me that the taste of food is temporary and not worth it when you’re trying to achieve goals. I think there’s definitely more pressure on women to be thin. I’m sure guys care about weight, but there’s not so many societal demands on them.

16. Cass says:

Nene’s usually pretty crazy but she does have a point there. One of the worst feelings for me is the one of hunger. I may be a slim 6-8 but if I didn’t eat/drink all the things I enjoy (pasta/wine) I’d easily be a 2-4. I’m happy with my body, even though I know I could definitely afford to exercise & get it toned.

17. I’ve never heard that before. And I don’t really know how I feel about it.

I’ve never really had a weight problem, though I’d always like to be more toned and a little thinner. I try to eat better just because it makes me feel better. I don’t like eating a bunch of garbage food, but sometimes a greasy hamburger just sounds delicious.

I saw a saying the other day that really made me upset. It said, “I’d rather be dead than fat.” Really? Is this what we’re coming to, America? Women would rather die than be overweight? Oh my.

I had to laugh at the last sentence because, um, I agree. I love my food too. I could be smaller but I like to eat and enjoy life’s pleasures. I manage to stay healthful and eat food I like… although I will say that I have some issues with food and I can relate to the nothing tastes as good as skinny feels comment. It’s a tough balancing act, for sure.

Loved this post; thanks for sharing.

19. Allison says:

damn right, heffa! That’s normally what they say to end their sentences with emphasis.

I’m virtually bumping your hips because I’m a 10 too.

20. i’ve been lucky where i don’t really have to worry about what i eat, but i do try to eat healthy, but i won’t skip desert or a snack. and i totally agree with the rhoatl quote. i love pasta and carbs!

21. I agree with the saying because like you I love skinny days. But it’s not a way of life and isn’t healthy. I do think that everything in moderation is key. Trackin what I eat has been mind blowing for me. Days I thought I didn’t eat much I was inhaling over two thousand calories…way more than my recommended intake!

I don’t like that saying either….I would def. go for Nene’s qoute over that one.

23. Ginger says:

That saying has always disturbed me, even when I *was* skinny.

Do I need to lose some weight? Sure. But I also want to enjoy my life, and food is an enjoyment to me. Now Angela’s version, that I can get behind, but skinny? Is not worth giving up the wonders of good food for.

24. I used to use this mantra, but I stopped using it years ago, because I would rather be a bit bigger and happy than be miserable because I have to constantly worry how many calories this is, and if it will make me gain weight.. screw that! great blog!

25. Angela says:

I’ve heard it phrased differently (and, I think, more positively):

“Nothing tastes as good as healthy feels.”

26. Heidi Renée says:

That sort of self-abuse doesn’t work for me. It just makes EVERYTHING taste good.