26 October 2010

Bad haircut club

Tagged: beauty, Random

I’ve had plenty of bad haircuts in my past. Note: there are no photos of this because a) I’ve hidden them and b) I don’t have a scanner, so ha, no photos can even be shared!

Anyhow, bad haircuts.

I’ve had many bad haircuts in my past. Many that have reduced me to a teary mess, pulling on my hair (as if it will make it grow longer) or looking at myself in the mirror wailing, WHY GOD WHY DID I TELL HER TO TAKE ANOTHER INCH OFF??? HOW DID ONE INCH BECOME FIVE??? (TWSS)

Yes, I’ve been there.

I’ve even threatened to and actually worn a bag on my head (with breathing hole cut out) to hide the bad haircut. This sh*t is traumatic for women.

The last really awful haircut I had was when I went to college. I had shorter hair already and wanted something different for college, to debut a new me and feel more confident. What I came out with was a bowl-like haircut with a shaved back of my head. No joke, I looked like a boy. It was awful and traumatic and I sobbed (not cried) the entire way home. I had a good six months of hating my entire head because it wasn’t until then that it grew out enough to look feminine again. Ever since then, I have kept my hair shoulder-length and never shorter.

Lately, some friends and I were talking about haircuts and I stated that I think most women hate their haircut for the first week they have it, even if it’s exactly what they want. For some reason, the hair always looks different once you get home and start styling it. Not necessarily in a bad way, but you’re so used to how you styled it before that suddenly a trim and newly cut layers takes a semi-new routine and you find yourself missing how it looked before.

I’m not saying it makes any sense but that’s exactly how I feel most times. But this month, I’m delaying the haircut for a week so I may be tempted to say “cut it off,” but I don’t mean it!

What about you? What’s your bad haircut history?

1. Sara W. says:

Haha I feel so ghetto compared to the rest of you… I haven’t gone to a salon in over 6 years. My worst hair cut to date was given to me by my ten year old self when I was sick of my straight bangs & so took some scissors & chopped them off. Oh yea & I also took scissors to my hair yesterday & hacked a bunch off wherever they felt dry…I never learn.

2. omoiopathitiki says:

Just wanna comment that you have a very decent site, I enjoy the layout it really stands out.

3. Grace says:

My aunt once cut my hair into a mullet when I was 3. Obviously I didn’t care but looking back at the pictures now I get a little mad at her. It really looked horrendous.

4. doodee says:

I’ve had a haircut today. due to a miscommunication, my hair was cut unexpectedly SHORT, it looks AWFUL and I am very unhappy now. I don’t know how to deal with it. I used to have long hair but I wanted it shorter like shoulder length, now hair is barely touching my chin, making me wanna scream………..grrrrrrrh!!!!!!!!

THink that i don’t really need another haircut in 6 months or so just to grow it back T_T

5. The worst haircut I had was about 20 years ago. My hair was past my shoulders and I asked for a body perm. I came out with a blonde afro after getting a curly perm and layers. I never went back to that salon again!

6. Allison says:

I once had a faux hawk because Aveda called it “disconnection” and my friend cut it like that for a photo shoot. I’ll show you f’ing disconnection.

7. andhari says:

When I tried to cut my hair short a la Vic Beckham.

It’s just super ridiculous, I looklike a little boy hahaha

8. stephanie says:

I totally know what you mean. I think that even when you want the haircut it is hard to look at yourself in the mirror and see something so different. It is also hard to style your hair in a different way than the way you are so used to!

9. I cut my hair wayyyy too short going into soph year of college- i legit cried EVERY day for about a month every time i had to blow dry it LOL.

Happy Halloween Friday!

10. Wonderful says:

I actually have been lucky because I had a family friend cut my hair forever and now I’ve found a new lady at my local Aveda salon that’s awesome. So I haven’t really had a bad cut…*knock on wood*

11. Yeah, it definitely is difficult to adjust to a new haircut. My worst cut was when I was about seven. I wanted to cut my hair, and since it was so hot in Louisiana, my mom decided my sister and I needed pageboy cuts. Except, much like your cut, we ended up with bowl cuts and just looked like little twin boys for an entire summer. Ugh.

12. Molly says:

I’m the total opposite! I think this must mean I don’t care enough. Or I’m way too laid back. Hahaha.

I am so picky about my hair its not funny. Once I went into the salon requesting lots of layers. What I actually walked out with was chunks of my hair gone and it was all horribly uneven. I cried for days.

i once got a hair cut that made me look like a boy. no joke. so insanely short and i was 8 and oh dear god, i tried to burn all pictures of me from that age, haha.

15. Mindy says:

Oh man, I totally hate my hair for about a week after getting it done. I schedule my appointments with that in mind even (which is why I have an appointment this Friday, a week before heading out of town). But I also hate how they style it. I never even like my hair when she says I’m done and I look in the mirror. I pretend I do, because I know I’ll be happy in a few days. But I never am immediately.

16. Elizabeth says:

I have curly-ish hair, but it’s obviously straight when wet, so some less talented stylists have no idea what to do with it, which has resulted in some interesting cuts. I’ve been wanting to do something drastic with my hair for a while, but I keep putting it off because of fear!

17. My hair and I have a long history… but the last bad haircut I had was about 2 1/2 years ago when someone decided it would be a good idea to razor cut my curly hair. It’s not a good idea to razor curly hair. Ever. It’s taken me this long to grow it out. I’m getting to cut tonight, and hopefully, it will finally look like normal hair and not like a female mullet.

18. Rachel says:

I have had so many bad haircuts, the first one being in 5th grade. I wanted to look like Tasha Yar on Star Trek the Next Generation (yeah yeah yeah, I was nerd). I ended up looking EXACTLY like Daniel Weatherbee (a boy in our class). The kids were RUTHLESS on me.
    Now every time I get a bad haircut I hear those kids laughing at me again.
    Stupid childhood trauma.

19. SMB says:

Less of a bad ‘haircut’, more of a bad hair experience… but a stylist here in Chicago I’d been going to suggested a ‘gloss’ before my wedding in May. Well, that clear hair dye when left on too long because she was playing on her iPhone lightened my hair about 10 shades. She apologized and the salon owner fixed two days later, but it was frustrating to not have my natural hair color on my wedding day, since I’d never colored it before.

Eh, it’s just hair, right? That’s what hats,headbands and pony tails are for!

xoxox

My worst? Probably my sophomore year in high school. I was running track and was tired of my long hair so I told them to cut it all off. And they did. Like SUPER short. If it weren’t for my boobs I may have looked like a boy. So embarrassing. I have hidden those pictures too… =)

21. L.C.T. says:

My worst haircut wasn’t bad in itself. In fact, I loved it. It was choppy and fun. But it soon made my hair really thin because it became too wispy and consequently took years to grow back to a healthy full look again!

22. Kez says:

I have liked most of my cuts (except for when I was in primary school and my mum had my hair cut into a mullet)!
    I have had bad colour though. Once I thought it would be cool to reverse the trend of having blonde hair with dark hair underneath. I had dark hair on top and was mostly blonde underneath. I looked hideous!! I see photos now and I just want to burn them!!!

23. I will forever be bitter about my 2nd grade photo and the homage it pays to Dorothy Hamil. But since then I have essentially had the same the hair. Long layers. Sometimes permed (back when that was not only encouraged but fashionable). But few bad cuts. I am eternally grateful for having escaped the mullet. I have several female friends who did not have such great fortune.

24. i’ve been pretty good in the bad haircut land… the absolute worst was when i was 11 and in 6th grade i cut it all off into a kerry strugg short haircut.. it was 1996 and she had just won everyone’s heart with the olympics… bawled the entire way home!

i usually don’t do anything too crazy with my hair and just do the same haircut… i changed my hair last year for the first time in like 10 years and added a side bang (which i love) but it has always been a shortish around chin length, until last year when i grew it slightly longer. but my hair has never been past my shoulders!

I totally agree with your assessment about hating your hair for the first week. I ALWAYS have issues with my haircut for awhile afterward. I know it’s because I A. don’t know how to use a round brush, B. shower using really hot water and C. don’t have a water softener like they do at the salon. Also because I don’t spend 20+ minutes dealing with it like the stylist does :-)

All that being said, I was a little bit in shock after my most recent haircut but although it doesn’t look anything like it did when I left the salon when I style it, I actually like it.