31 October 2010

Weekend recap: Halloween and bear packs

Tagged: Chicago, Food, Friends

Happy Halloween everyone!! I hope you’ve all been stuffed with candy, or spent the day recovering from partying last night.

Let’s just say, going to bed at 4:30 a.m. was surprisingly easy for me, but being productive today because of that, was not.

Anyhow, I love Halloween in Chicago, even if I’m not a big costume person. I love seeing what other people dress up in and their creativity, but I’ve never been the girl who is buying costume parts on eBay months in advance. I love helping people put together their costumes but I’ve never been super creative for myself. It’s weird.

But this year, I put more effort into my costume because I was presented with an insanely awesome idea by TC and Robin, two of the most creative people I know.

If you’re a Twilight fan, you’ve likely heard of the Wolf Pack…

Now meet the BEAR PACK!

That’s right, Panda, Chicago, Pooh and Paddington….BEAR PACK!

We all got into the group costume theme, piecing it together, painting our noses and then sending random, barely coherent tweets out saying BEAR PACK or using our self-imposed Halloween hash tag #bearpack. Yeah, we were pretty excited.

Unfortunately, some partygoers didn’t get the theme, asking if Panda was a skunk and if Paddington was Fievel. Fortunately, the Pack rallied together and corrected their mistakes. However, no one could help me when people asked me Bears questions and when I slipped about being a Packers supporter, it got real ugly.

I cannot wait for Halloween next year!

Even with a crazy Saturday night and low-key Sunday, Friday still left room for some food adventures, including:

Lobster sausage with relish and garlic aioli from Hank’s Haute Dogs (visiting from Hawaii as part of the Art Loop Open event). Seriously, this was ah-mazing. SO GOOD.

Smorgasbord of thai food off the secret Thai menu at Tac Quick. Delish and spicy, yes please!

How was everyone else’s Halloween? What was your costume this year?

1. Michelle says:

Oh no…awesome idea, but I can’t give any love to Chicago Bear! (I’m a Packers fan.) Especially if you’re referring to Chicago Bear as part of “the Pack!” Haha! Seriously, cute idea though!

2. love the halloween theme!! didn’t dress up for Halloween, although I wanted to go as Dr. Bailey from (grey’s anatomy because I totally have the height thing going for me) but I had nowhere to go :(

seriously the costumes, amazing. i love all the bear variations, you girls are too cute!

4. jill says:

HI! i am new to your blog, but i am happy to finally find another chicago blogger :) your costume/theme idea was super cute. stop by my new-ish blog sometime:: http://cornflakedreams.blogspot.com/

xoxo
    jcd

What an adorable idea! I love it =) Glad you had a great Halloween and had time for some food too!

Great costume! Very clever :-)

7. I totally baile don Halloween this year. Just not up to it.

8. We hid in our spare room last night to avoid the trick or treaters … yes, we are mean :)

I LOVE the bear pack idea! Such a fabulous idea.

10. Lobster sausage? I need to try that lol

Love the Bear Pack- too cute!

11. That is such a great costume idea! I love it!

I didn’t do anything for halloween this year, and I’m ok with that!

12. Oh my gosh, I freaking love the idea of the Bear Pack. I was Hello Kitty for Halloween and all the girls were so jealous because I was clearly the most adorable. :)

13. Secret Thai menu? WANT!

We didn’t do anything for Halloween. Jason had to work all day today and I turned the lights off when the trick-or-treaters came.

14. TC says:

OMG FIEVEL!!! That’s who I looked like! P.S. You should see my suitcase from last night. It’s like a treasure trove of dress-up props :P

15. Hahaha fun!

Our Halloween was good – we went to a party but didn’t know a ton of people there so didn’t stay late or anything. Still a fun way to spend it though!

16. Stephanie says:

Have you checked out the Beauty Bar on W Chicago Ave yet? Great drink prices, and a martini & manicure for $10! Plus good music (even a band at a certain time!).

Also if you are ever in Wheaton, go to Suzette’s Creperie. I had a Groupon for there and OMG was it sooo good!!!

17. lbluca77 says:

I like the theme costume idea. Very creative!