That’s right, I’m back with another edition of “Things That Annoy Me,” because, well more things are really chaping my a**. But this time, instead of picking on the usual subjects: people on the bus, customer service or every day consumers, I thought I’d focus my annoyance in the workplace.
I’ve worked at several offices and odd jobs and there are always common themes of things that happen that are annoying. So I thought I would explore these further.
Oh, and as a note, this is NOT about any one person or place I’ve worked at :)
- Paper jams – Paper jam? WTF? I don’t know how to fix that. Or when I do follow the directions, taking apart half of the copier, there is no paper where the diagram tells me there is. No paper? But you’re telling me there is a paper jam. Just tell me how to fix this! This is right up there with seeing PC LOAD LETTER on the printer. DISLIKE.
- Stealing from the fridge – This has been an ongoing issue at several jobs. Fortunately (knock on wood) things have been better lately. But stealing from me is a big mistake. Let’s just say, I know how to steal back :)
- Private conversations at a loud decibel – It’s a reality of cube life. But yes, I’m glad you’re calling to refill your birth control and making your yearly PAP appointment. Oh and yes, I think sleeping with that girl this weekend and her friend the next night must have been fun, but maybe using your indoor voice would be a better idea
- Pen tapping or loud chewing – Please, for the love of god keep it down, it’s like nails on a chalkboard when I’m trying to focus
- Always having to refill paper in the copier – Seriously, how does this ALWAYS happen to me? I am not your paper mother!
- iPod karaoke – I listen to music at work to help me focus, but I had a coworker that always sang to her iPod out loud…in cubes…at a high decibel. It took all of my strength not to scream, “SHUT UP…PLEASE”
What about you? What are your office annoyances? (Side note: conference calls on speaker is still my number one annoyance).