21 November 2010

Weekend recap: Practicing being a shut-in

Tagged: apartment, Random

Happy Sunday everyone! I’m finally getting back on track with blogging so my apologies if I’ve been delayed on commenting, there is a lot to still catch up on!

Being the crazy planner that I am, I seem to always have something to do. Running errands, cleaning, catching up on blogs, newspapers, magazines, etc. There is ALWAYS something that I could be doing. I could run myself into the ground with little things to do. It’s my weakness and I don’t give myself enough time to relax.

Running around every weekend usually lasts for a few weeks and then something comes up and I force myself to be a shut-in.

I may fight it, but I love it.

And because last week was pretty crazy with Mexico, a long day of travel, getting caught up at work and of course, this f*cking cold that will NOT GO AWAY, this weekend I forced myself to be a shut-in

Okay that’s a lie, I was a semi shut-in because I did have a few things around my apartment to get done, but still, I was as shut-in.

When I go into this mode, I usually do the following things:

• Spend the majority of the day on the couch
  • Clean out the DVR
  • Read for several hours
  • Enjoy peace and quiet
  • Have shoe fashion shows
  • Exfoliate
  • Back up my hard drive (not a metaphor)
  • Practice putting my hair in odd styles

Yes, that is my idea of a great weekend. Sure, I think about errands to run and things I could be doing to be productive, but seriously, sometimes you need to give yourself a break. Trust me, those things will always be there waiting to be done.

And as result of my lazy behavior this weekend, I’m pretty relaxed, and am now about to enter into deep mental prep for a short week. Serenity now.

What about you? Do you have shut-in weekends? And if so, what are they like?

1. When I’m enjoying Teena-time, I don’t even brush my hair :)

sounds like my kind of weekend, fabulous and relaxing.

hope your cold has gone away, mine is still freaking lingering! it’s gotten to the point of being ridiculous!

I love hibernation weekends. I’ve been doing more and more of these because I need down time and alone time. Your weekend sounds lovely.

4. Jennifer says:

Sounds absolutely delightful!!!!
    I have shut in nights. They are fantastic.

5. Allison says:

I love to clean out my DVR. I spent a few hours doing that on Saturday.

6. Paula says:

I call them my hibernation weekends. I need one usually at least once a month, especially when I’ve been really busy. They usually involve, wine, chocolate, reading, DVDs, lots of internet and loads of NOT going outside. LOVE them.

7. Next weekend I am going to do my best to do nothing, we’ve had several really busy weekends, and several more coming up soon.

8. jen says:

ha, i posted basically the same thing on friday! i have a hard time relaxing too and i forced myself to be semi lazy this weekend and it was great! glad you’re feeling rested!

9. ah, I NEED a shut-in weekend! This sounds lovely!

10. Nicole Marie says:

I love messing with my hair on shut in days!

I shut myself in this weekend myself….I needed some major cleaning that needed to be done before the holidays.

12. Kay says:

i have these weekends more than i’d like to admit ;) usually i get caught up on my blog reading and perhaps write one or two scheduled posts that can go ‘anytime’ that way i always have something on the ready to go. giving myself manicures (& pedicures) is also nice. cleaning up my desktop (deleting and backing stuff up), watching tv, and cuddling with my dog howard usually round it out.

oh and maybe give myself a nice hair treatment – which includes drenching my hair with olive oil and covering with a plastic cap for hours (literally) and a nice deep condition.

perfect.

I need to do more of those types of weekends. It can be so difficult to turn off the guilt about not getting 8 bajillion things done but you’re right in that it can leave you feeling refreshed.

14. Since I work from home, I tend to be a shut-in on weekdays and try to get out on weekends. I can go for days at a time without leaving the house, though, so sometimes I stay home on weekends, too. And of course, living somewhere where there’s nothing to do and where none of my friends live puts a damper on events and socializing.

15. I’ve been embracing the shut-in weekends lately. Pajamas, books, naps, working on stuff, lazy errands…they’re the best.