12 December 2010

Weekend recap: Hard core holiday cheer

Happy Sunday everyone! Right now, there is a soft lull of a snowblower whistling outside my window. Why? Because Chicago had awful weekend weather that started with rain (which sucked) and is ending with snow (sort of sucky.)

That’s right, MORE SNOW. Fortunately, it wasn’t as bad as Minneapolis, but still, it’s getting bitter cold here and I am literally afraid.

Despite the bad weather, I was a woman on a mission: get in the holiday spirit come h*ll or high water. The tree is up, new holiday music is downloaded, now came the next stage: buying Christmas gifts. With a water bottle and my friend Liz in tow, we hit Chicago’s seventh circle of hell: Michigan Avenue on the weekend.

I know, I tease about tourists sometimes but seriously, downtown on the weekend is a nightmare. But we embraced it (in the rain) and worked our way from one end to the other, with a list of people to shop for. And after a full day outdoors and a quick Amazon order, I am 90% done with my shopping. I just have one more trip to make this week and I’ll be in good shape.

It’s such a good feeling because now I get to WRAP gifts.

Tonight, I’m also indulging in another one of favorite holiday traditions: Watching Love Actually while writing out my Christmas cards. GAME ON!

Before all of this insane holiday activity, it was the annual work holiday party, where I agonize over what to wear for easily 24 hours. I have no idea why I constantly fail at finding a cute but appropriate outfit. But this year, I found a dress from Forever 21 that I was peer pressured into buying and it turned out pretty perfect:

Now I have another year before I’m faced with this awful decision.

Oh and once my holiday shopping is done, I can focus on this next weekend. WIN!

How was your weekend? Are you done holiday shopping?

1. We have very little snow here in Toronto.

2. steph anne says:

I love your holiday cheer! :) It’s nice to be on top of your game and get a lot completed!

Adorable dress! You totally rocked it =)

My shopping is 95% done. I’m so glad for this! We had sucky weather too, rain, then ice, then some stupid not worth it snow. I don’t like winter….

4. Mega says:

The dress looks great. I am terrible at wrapping gifts. Gift cards for all!

one. love that dress, so cute and such a gorgeous color.
    two. i battled the madness of the mall and old town this weekend and pretty much finished my shopping too, so exhausting but so worth it.
    and three. yay love actually and card writing, hopefully i’ll be doing that tonight also :)

6. I did the same thing with my shopping: made a list and attacked it mostly in a single day. It seems much easier that way.

7. Amber says:

I am so far behind on my shopping, but I have a free check coming up in a few days, and if I play my cards right, I may be done with my shopping by this next weekend… Wish me luck! I really love that dress, it is really cute. and I am totally jealous, i want to go to a sugar cookie workshop! Great post…

I wanted to watch Love Actually while addressing Christmas cards and wrapping presents this weekend but, sadly, I don’t own it and it’s not available instantly via Netflix. Boo.

That is a very cute dress and I love that you paired it with tights and boots. I get so overwhelmed in Forever 21. Maybe I should give it another chance.

9. Emily Jane says:

Love the dress! I wish we had Forever 21 here…

Love Actually and Christmas cards sounds heavenly :)

10. First of all – love the dress. I haven’t shopped at Forever 21 in ages and it looks like I need to go!

Almost done with my shopping. I have one online subscription gift yet to order (Netflix for my dad) and maybe a couple more white elephant gifts.

PS – I think I am the only female alive who doesn’t like Love Actually. In truth, I hate it!

I am not even close to being done with Christmas shopping — or even with deciding what to shop for! Luckily, after tomorrow, I have two glorious weeks off so hopefully I’ll get my act together.

I love the dress….you look fabulous!
    And I love Love Actually but I haven’t seen it on TV yet…bummer.

13. Jenn says:

Love, love, LOVE that dress!

14. Stephanie says:

Just be glad you weren’t in Wrigley on Saturday. Apparently there was the Christmas bar crawl going on. At FIVE pm I witnessed masses of drunken fools as I drove down Clark!

15. Totally cute dress! Good for you for getting your Christmas shopping done.. I still have NOT done that. I did, however, get my holiday cards written out and addressed this weekend, so yay for that! Lol

I could watch Love Actually every day and never get tired of it!

My Christmas cards are mostly ready to go, but I’m way behind on the shopping.

17. I am almost done with my shopping–I just need to order a few more things. So close!

18. Kez says:

I love the colour of your dress :)
    My weekend was full of friendship and festive cheer – I am now exhausted! And broke!
    My Christmas shopping needs to wait a couple of days…

I have about half of it done – I think I should get through it OK by the end of the week, thankfully!

Hooray for Holiday cheer! I love Love Actually, one of my favorite Christmas movies. I was out of commission all last week which put me behind on holiday things like getting my Christmas cards out and shopping. I’m hoping I can knock them out early this week.