30 December 2010

Peace out 2010, hello 2011

Tagged: Random

Tomorrow is New Year’s Eve and that means it’s time to take a moment to reflect on the last year before looking forward.

So before I go forward, I’m revisiting my 2010 resolutions and how I did in accomplishing them.

2010 resolutions:

• Sign up for dance classes – Signed up through Groupon but never went. FAIL.
  • Run a 5k (and start the Couch to 5k program) - Yep, another FAIL
  • Be a better friend and daughter - I don’t know if I can answer this but I’ll give myself a….HALF PASS
  • Start a knitting project (other than a scarf) and FINISH it - Another FAIL. My previous knitting group disbanded and I’ve been lazy since
  • Make one new recipe a month - WIN! This year, I posted a total of 25 recipes. Weeee!
  • Be more active in blogging communities in addition to my blog - Um, HALF PASS. Honestly, I’ve been scaling back my presence on the blog and in other communities because I need to focus on my non-blog life.

So clearly these resolutions were a bust and then I realized, I need to keep it simple. So it keep it simple, I need to reflect on 2010 again to come up with 2011’s resolution.

2010 was all about change for me, some better than others. Relationships with friends and family changed, some for better and worse. For the first time ever, I felt like I had to really forge my own path without some of my closest people with me and it was scary as sh*t.

But it allowed me to try a lot of new things, mainly forcing myself to cook more and travel solo. The latter being my biggest achievement this year. In 2010, I visited Nola, Vegas, San Fran/Napa and Colorado, with only Vegas being the only trip I didn’t do fully or 50% solo. That is huge. And now, the biggest adventure is yet to come: Italy.

So in looking at all the places I visited, people I spent time with, things I read, ate and explored, I realized pretty easily my main goal for 2011:

Keep trying new things.

I did this in 2010 and I want to keep that trend going without putting specifics or limitations on me. I want to go where opportunities are and try the things I’ve been too scared to do. So whatever that is, watch out!

What are your 2011 resolutions?

1. Marjolein says:

Happy new year! I like your new year’s resolution. Mine is basically to settle. I don’t have a steady job, much of an income or any career to speak of. The wedding planning isn’t really happening yet because of that reason and it all feels like nothing’s going anywhere. I also found out I won’t be able to take off for long during the summer, when my fiancé, who is a teacher, finally has time off – so in all, 2011 needs to become more settled. Better.

2. Happy New Year, girlie! Um, I think we need to have some coffee… or martinis soon! :)

Happy New Year, Jess! I have loved your recipes from this past year and your cooking ventures. I haven’t gotten around to making resolutions yet. I dont usually, but this year I do have some goals that I really want to make happen.

you are a fabulosu blogging buddy! :)

as for the rest, you’re allowed some fails every now and then, those were some ambitious goals. i don’t know what mine are for 2011 yet but i’ll think of them soon and most likely post them, i mean i have to keep myself in check somehow, haha.

I think you’re a great blogger friend, so there ;-) I like the idea of just trying new things in 2011. Sounds like a good goal to me. I’m not doing the resolution thing either, instead I’m just focusing on a simple (or not so simple) mantra: Let Go, Let Flow. I hope it works…

6. Kyla Roma says:

I think that keep trying new things is an amazing goal! Your year was so much fun to follow, I never would have imagined that you had ‘failed’ some of your goals- it was all about new experiences and being more yourself. That’s all kinds of wonderful :)

7. Cassie says:

I just posted all my 2011 goals on my site and I looked back at my 2010 goals and I too, failed at about half. Just think what would have happened though if you hadn’t set any to begin with? I like your resolution for this year to be to try new things. That’s something I’ve learned over the last few years and I’m deeming 2011 the “year of exploration”. I also want to try new things this year and not rest on my laurels so to speak.
    Oh, and I can’t wait to hear about your solo Italy trip!

8. Allison says:

i’m trying a new meal each week too. it’s good to switch stuff up

9. Kathleen says:

It’s funny how some years I make detailed and specific goals (like yours from 2010) and then other years lend themselves more to overarching ideas. I think it’s good to go back and forth, it gives life balance.

10. I like the idea of overarching goals rather than hard-and-fast resolutions. Goals like yours are easier to meet, yet still a challenge!

11. Mega says:

I think my last comment was eaten by the internet gremlins so I apologize if this ends up as a double comment. It said I liked your goal and was confident you’ll meet it, and that I have no resolutions but just a goal to be happy. So on and so forth, happy new year!

12. Elizabeth says:

I like that goal–you can’t go wrong! I think traveling solo was a huge thing.

I haven’t gotten around to any goal setting just yet. My mind is still filled with what we still need to do to get ready for the baby in a couple weeks.

13. Apparently, I had some typos – sorry about that!

Maki

14. Maki says:

Happy New Year, Jessica!!!

Thank you so much for your friendship in 2010 and here’s to more in 2011. Your new resolution is looking great:)

My new blog is now open – I hope all is well and your 2011 is filled with laughter and happiness!

xoxox

15. I don’t make resolutions because I never keep ‘em.

Happy new year … all the best for 2011!

16. Heidi Renée says:

I don’t make resolutions, per se, but I intend to take advantage of every opportunity I get to spend time with people I care about.

Love your resolution. It’s one I should probably adopt. Most of my resolutions so far are fitness-related but I should probably throw a few other ones in there, too.

I like your main goal for 2011! A lot!

I don’t really do resolutions, but I do want to start journaling in the next few weeks. There are things I want to keep track of, memories I want to hold on to, that just don’t belong on my blog.

19. Yes indeed, here is to new adventures and trying things that scare the crap out of us! Happy New Year :)

20. Paula says:

I’m not making any this year – I actually just posted about that. I stuck to a couple of mine last year, the weight loss and meeting other bloggers thing, and I’m quite proud with myself over that. I doubt I’d do any better with resolutions this year, so I’m going to give myself a pass and just hope I have a better 2011 than my 2010 was! Happy New Year!

21. I like that – Keep trying new things! I think I’m adopting that too as one of my goals. And I think my eurotrip is a perfect place to start that, as I’ve never traveled by myself for 3 weeks to 6 countries where I don’t know the languages!

I can’t wait to hear more of your Italy plans! I LOVE it there!

22. E.P. says:

I absolutely LOVE your resolution for 2011, and I think my main one will be something similar. I’ve still got to sort out my resolutions, even though W and I started a list when we were driving back from Christmas in his hometown last weekend.

Happy New Year, Jess!

23. Ohh I like that one! Trying new things is a GREAT goal!

I just spent the last little while getting my Goals post ready for January 1! I am trying to focus on smaller things that will overall improve my quality of life more this year like reading more, drinking less coffee, being on time, spending more time with the b/f etc. etc.

My one big goal for the year that I am DETERMINED to make happen is buying a townhouse! But I don’t even want to say that’s a “goal” because in my mind it WILL happen!

24. Michelle says:

I am always so impressed/in awe of how you can just go right on out and travel alone! I want to try it someday soon, it seems SO freeing and fun! Mine are lame but really important…I just want to land a great post-grad job and find a great apartment to move into with L.! Okay, those are more goals than resolutions, haha.