09 January 2011

Weekend recap: Weezer and middle aged mosh pits

Tagged: Chicago, music

Happy Sunday everyone! This weekend was freezing cold in Chicago (the kind of cold that burns your skin) but I had an awesome one anyhow.

There are two bands that really define my high school experience: No Doubt and Weezer. I was a huge fan of both in high school and my fan-dom has stayed with me. I was fortunate enough to see No Doubt in concert two summers ago and Friday night, my high school geekdom was complete by seeing Weezer perform one my favorite albums, the Blue Album, in Chicago.

Yes, I did a little air guitar and drums and even did my 30-something version of head banging but the real “treat” was the crowd. I was expecting an older audience (given that the Blue Album came out in 1994), but nope, it was half teens (dropped off my mom) and full adults. And despite Mega’s warning, it just took one a**hole who drank too much Miller Lite to get a mosh pit going.

A motherf*cking mosh pit.

I don’t mosh, I’m in my 30s. I want to go to a concert, listen to my music, rock out in my seat or designated area, go get some food and go home. And let’s be honest, mosh pits are kind of selfish.

And several other adult concertgoers were not amused by the mostly middle aged mosh pit either. I don’t like it when douchebags of all ages are flying at me because all I want to do is LISTEN TO THE MUSIC. Fortunately, Mega helped me from being pulled in to the mosh pit, thank god.

During a pit break, I had enough of one obnoxious teen and yelled, “Turn around a**hole, are you wearing braces?” The older crowd got a kick out of that.

Moshing aside, it was an awesome show and I loved hearing the songs live. Really, it was like being 16 again and I’m so glad I got to go.

I had to stop “head banging” to take this

Me and my Miller Lite were anxious to get this going

I have a quick crowd photo for you too. Pre-concert, we had to wait outside to be let in and of course it’s freezing cold and SNOWING, but damnit, some people refused to check a coat….or wear a long-sleeved shirt.

I even kept my Weezer love going Saturday night by singing a Blue Album song at Lincoln Karaoke, which has to be the most magical karaoke experience you can have. Yes, I was tone deaf and voice strained by beer and champagne, but I’ll say this, it was an inspired version with more 30-something headbanging.

How was your weekend?

Movie review: I also saw Blue Valentine this weekend. Let’s just say, it’s not an uplifter.

1. Great, thanks for sharing this article.Really looking forward to read more. Keep writing.

2. maki says:

Oh my god, I love Weezer and No Doubt!!! It totally my generation, ya know? I’m jealous!!

I love the pic of people waiting outside while snow shooting down on them – that guy is so sweet trying to cover his girlfriend :)

I get annoyed by young kids in bars and at concerts….they are just so….young. Love the line that you yelled.

4. Allison says:

i can’t go to your review section because i want to see blue valentine.

but, let’s talk about something uplifting like “don’t speak.” oh, how I wanted that navy blue dress gwen wore in the video…

i can’t stand mosh pits, no thank you. i’m too much of a wuss and scared of injury, haha.

6. Excellent ;) My first cds were Tragic Kingdom and Oasis What’s the Story Morning Glory. I still love them both to this day and would LOVE to see them in concert. What a fun night :)

7. soooo lucky! :) I also loved No Doubt and Weezer! I was supposed to see No Doubt at Summerfest a couple years ago, but it didn’t work out :(

8. I want to see Blue Valentine but heard it is a downer…i think I still need to though.

I smiled during this post because I LOVED No Doubt. And I still rock the Blue Album by Weezer on a regular basis. So fun that you got to see them!

I saw a few kids totally underdressed this last weekend, like in TANK TOPS in 15 degree weather and I really just wanted to smack them. ANd then hand them a sweatshirt. Silly kids.

10. my weekend didn’t include moshing, that’s for sure :) I’m okay with that though! Looks like the concert was awesome though, I love Weezer!

11. jen says:

i was at weezer too! i was in the balcony staring at the mosh pit – grateful to be above. glad you survived the moshing :)

12. Stephanie says:

I’m so bummed I didn’t know they were here!! Was the show at the Aragon?

13. Arielle says:

The crowd at the shows I went to was totally different! Both nights it was 20 and 30 somethings. The occasional middle aged man but mostly people right around our age, which I was super thankful for because a ton of the concerts I go to have dumb teenage crowds (Lady Gaga this April? Totally). Glad you had fun though! I wish I could go again.

14. Stevie says:

I was OBSESSED with both bands in high school, too! (I’m still totally obsessed with Gwen Stefani. I have a massive girl crush on her.)

Weezer came and played in my high school cafeteria! Someone from my school won a radio contest, which was a free concert at the winner’s school. So I got to see them in the middle of the day in the lunchroom. Awesome.

15. RondaMarie says:

I saw Weezer last year, they are one of those band I gained a greater appreciation for after seeing them live. Also, mosh pits = suck.

16. Akirah says:

My weekend was okay. Work was nuts. Helped my best friend pick out a wedding dress. MOH duties. You know how it is.