17 January 2011

Golden Globes fashion recap!

Tagged: Fashion

Woo hoo! 2011′s award season is officially off and running. And that means I’m back in my self-appointed fashion police role and sharing my (least) favorite picks from the big show.

This year, I was even more vocal on Twitter about what I liked and didn’t like and let me say, overall, I was a little underwhelmed. I won’t even pick on Helena Bonham Carter or Tilda Swinton because it’s just too easy :)

My Best Dressed List

The skirt is huge but I LOVE the sparkle and color. Girl just needs to fluff that hair!

Megan! I’m shocked, this dress is simple gorgeous and looks amazing on you without being slutty. Way to go!

Gorgeous color, cut and it’s age appropriate. Stay classy Jane

I’m mixed on Emma Stone being a blonde but her dress color is really soft, pretty and classic. Now just tone down the spray tan

For me, Mila represented “green” best last night. The texture on this is fab

Arielle and Lacey weren’t fans of this, but I liked it. If only my pasty skin would let me wear white

The skirt is too long but the cut and hair together is fabulous. And the belt? LOVE

Brittany from Glee wore something similar to this year’s Emmys but this looks so flattering on Amber. Way to go.

My Not Best Dressed List

I love Natalie Portman. I do, but this dress is a Valentine’s Day nightmare. I would like it more in black/white or better yet, with that damn rose torn off

Halle, we get it. you have a banging body and boobs of a 15 year old girl. You can do better

I love this color with her red hair but the crease marks plus that tragic bubble shoulder is a big no

Love her hair and makeup but hate the dress color and the daisies. Washes her out and she has gorgeous skin!

Again, love the hair and makeup but hate the dress color and flowers all over. Nude/beige is a tough color to wear and this just isn’t doing her any favors

This photographs much better than it looked on screen. It was ill-fitting and the random broach on the shoulder doesn’t work. And now that she admitted she uses Botox, should she even be smiling?

Love the color, love her hair but the cutouts aren’t working for me. And from this angle, it makes her midsection look unflattering

Favorite moments from the show:

• Christian Bale, Best Supporting Actor – He was amazing in The Fighter and absolutely deserved it
  • Ricky Gervais – His stuff was a little flat but I love how balls-out he is in skewering celebs
  • Colin Firth, Best Actor – I have a massive crush on him and am glad he’s finally getting recognition for the great work he does in every film
  • The Social Network – Yes, people were salty that it won Best Picture but it was a great movie with great dialogue, direction and acting. I have to admit, I don’t think The King’s Speech will beat it at the Oscars

What about you? Did you watch last night? What were some of your favorite moments and fashions from the show? Any least favorites?

1. Besides the red carpet, the one thing I love about the Golden Globes is they do a great job of focusing on the best of the best. Rarely does one movie or show sweep … which means I trust their votes. Not so much for the Oscars, where it feels like blockbusters sweep many categories.

2. THAT DAMN FLOWER!!! (that’s my thought bubble every time I see a picture of natalie in that dress) but I loved emma stone’s & claire danes’ looks. I liked eva longoria’s dress, but I really think it would be gorgeous as a wedding gown.

3. maki says:

I totally agree with you on Christian Bale! Oh I heart him… I enjoyed this year’s Golden Globe better than last year, I think..

Love your recap; didn’t even have to watch the show! I love, love, love Colin Firth. He rocks =) I can’t wait to see the King’s Speech. I haven’t seen Social Network and not sure I will; just not really into it except for the fact that it’s Justin Timberlake!

5. barbetti says:

I agree with you on most of these, but I was not a fan of Emma Stone’s dress. She looked so monotone from head to toe.

6. E.P. says:

I completely agree with you on all of these. We didn’t watch too much of the show because we completely forgot it was on Sunday, but what we did watch was good. Colin Firth’s speech – and his shoutout to his wife – made me giggly.

7. My absolute favey-fave was Anne Hathaway. I would kill to have that dress in my closet! I could shock some military wives at the next Air Force Ball ;)

8. jen says:

i totally didn’t even watch the show because i was at the hawks game but january jones was my fav. and i want to feed emma stone a cheese burger. girlfriend needs to put on some lbs.

I’ll agree with you on all of them except Natalie Portman. I get your V-Day argument, but I still loved the dress. It made her and her baby bump look so cute!

10. Joey says:

Loved Mila’s dress (gorgeous color). Claire Danes looked amazing and classy. I liked Emma Stone’s dress, but is it just me or does she look like Jaime Pressly’s twin with the blonde hair? I hated Halle’s dress, but am always struck by who beautiful that woman is with short hair…don’t think she is nearly as striking with long hair.

11. Michelle Williams’ dress = grandma’s tablecloth.

Angelina Jolie’s dress was hand-sewn by Munchkin children in the sweatshops of Emerald City.

12. I don’t have cable so didn’t get too watch so thanks for the recap. Ugh, what were Natalie and Halle thinking??? :S

13. Grace says:

I agree with your choices. So many of the ladies looked washed out. Natalie Portman’s dress really would look cute without the rose. Too bad.

14. san says:

Great recap… :)

I absolutely despised Natalie Portman’s dress. She’s so lovely otherwise, but the dress choice was just BAD.

I thought Scarlet Johansson’s choice was hideous, too. As was her hair-do. And Angelina’s dress looked sooo 80′s.

My favorite outfit of the night: Amy Adams and Kyra Sedgwick.

15. Stevie says:

I actually really liked Angelina Jolie’s Designing Women type dress. It was a bit of a different look for her and I think she pulled it off really nicely.

She didn’t get much attention, but Kyra Sedgewick, as always, looked f-ing AMAZING. I have a massive girl crush on her (mostly because I’m just jealous that she gets to be married to Kevin Bacon) and she has a really unique fashion sense.

HATED J-Lo’s dress. The white was TOO white and that overlay thing looked like some tacky junior prom dress or something. Barf. So you and I can respectfully disagree on that one :-)

I thought most of the men looked great. The majority of them seemed to stick with a classic look, which I love.

I thought that Claire Danes looked great, her dress was classic. I also really thought that Emma Stone and Eva Longoria’s dresses were fabulous. I wasn’t really digging JLo’s white ensemble.

17. Allison says:

let’s talk about january jones boobs – they look like they are screaming to get out.