27 January 2011

In a weight rut

Tagged: Food, Random

Several weeks ago, I was really excited to announce that my weight loss journey hit a nice milestone, 11-12 pounds down! But, now I think I’m in a rut, specifically a diet rut.

I’m still committed to my long-term weight loss goal, but lately, I’ve been struggling with food again.

Losing weight short-term is a challenge but not as much as trying to maintain that weight loss and lose more. You hit a wall at some point and start to revert to old habits. Maybe not all of them but some of them. Then, the self doubt and anxiety kicks in and what was an exception in the calories one day becomes a week of exceptions and suddenly, all of that super hard work is gone. Or most of it is.

That’s where I fear I’m going.

Last week, I put myself on a scale again (the first time since December) and found I was down only one pound. That’s still great news, considering I’m sure post-holidays I was up a few pounds, but I still felt mad at myself that it wasn’t more.

When I started talking about this journey, my goal weight was to be reached in February, provided I lose 1-2 pounds a week. Given the most recent weigh in, that won’t happen. So I’ve adjusted my timing to April at the latest. I am determined to still make that goal, but lately I’ve been struggling with food.

Gum works to curb cravings, but sometimes, a Milky Way Dark, followed by a 3 Musketeers feels better. I am an emotional eater. And due to late nights, high stress and exhaustion lately, I’ve been diligent in logging my calories but also going over in my daily “allotment” with little shame.

And I’m starting to feel like a failure and fear that I’m slipping back in to old habits again. But amazingly, the rut is solely in diet. My workouts have been great lately! I just cannot get this food thing under control sometimes.

But I’m not giving up. Come h*ll or high water, I will make my goal, hopefully before Italy. And I need to cut myself a break.

The good news is that most days I still feel leaner. In the last week, three people I barely know came up to ask if I’ve lost weight and tell me that I look great. Sure, two of those people are crazy women in my building, but hearing that does help.

So I’m going to focus on, how I feel because even if the weight isn’t coming off too fast right now, I still feel good. And I need to figure out again how to deal with stress without always shoving candy in my mouth. That is a longer project.

What about you, do you get in an exercise, food or weight loss rut? If so, how do you get out of it?

1. Brittney says:

I feel your pain! Oddly enough, one of the most eyeopening books I’ve ever read for emotional eaters is, “Breaking Free from Emotional Eating” by Geneen Roth. Plateaus are always rough, but I’m like you. Food is my biggest issue, workouts? Not so much!

2. Elizabeth says:

Hang in there–I’m not trying to lose weight right now, but we do stick to a pretty stringent grain free diet most of the time (I completely slacked while pregnant), but it’s nearly impossible to do that without indulging at least one day a week.

3. maki says:

What I found about myself is that I used to be so much better with watching my sugar intake before I had my girls. Some things changed and now I constantly eating chocolate late at night. I wasn’t like that.

My friends would tell me that I’m crazy, but I have my ideal weight and looks, and I can see that I haven’t been able to lose weight around my face. I do go to gym and workout at least 4 times a week, but I’m struggling with my sugar intake and occasional vodka on weekeneds:(

Keep it up, Jess – you’ll be okay!!! Patience and endurance!

4. I so do the cheat day which turns into cheat week. I have found that dailyplate.com tracking really helps me because I just flat won’t go over my calories. I go and I workout more so that I can eat or drink what I want. You will get there! I have faith!

i know you can do it jess, woo! you’re weight loss already is amazing and seriously i aspire to be that dedicated. my four days of working out is already wearing me out, just gotta stick with it, haha, woo!

6. Right now I’m enlisting in a Wellness Coach at my fitness center and it happens to be with an old coworker- so I’m really excited. It’s a 3mo program of coaching each week, setting goals and discussing things. Then I’m also doing a research study where they measure you before during and after the 3mo coaching program. AND THEN another blog friend is going to put together a weightloss challenge type thing which I’m gonna join. So I’m doing everything I can to stay accountable and really make this work this year!

good luck to you as well though! sounds like you’ve made some excellent changes too!

My previous boss was big into working out. She lost a lot of weight and was in really good shape, but plateaued at one point and couldn’t figure out why she couldn’t lose more weight. Her trainer told her she actually wasn’t eating enough calories per day to balance out how much she was exercising. I guess my point is that it might be worth consulting someone at your gym to see where you’re at, what you’re doing right and what else you could be doing. And while you’re at it, cut yourself some slack. You’re doing just fine!

8. Alas, I haven’t been able to get back on track yet :(

9. Try something new. A new workout, a new cook book, just mix it up.

Well I’m sure you know this, but soemtimes muscle will make you heavier in numbers but not in looks! I follow what I’ve heard of as the LL Cool J diet… I eat in moderation during the week and Saturday is my “free” day to eat the food that I like, but still in moderation. Keep the workouts in check and watch my portions and it works well! When I do this, I lose weight and can keep it off because I’m not depriving myself of what I want. No idea if this makes sense or will help, but I’ve been following it lately (Again) and feel better. Keep up those workouts, too! You’ll reach your goal in no time, I know it. You’re a strong, kick-ass woman :) :)

11. Amy says:

I am TOTALLY in a plateau. It sucks. I hear ya. I’ve heard that going a few days with few to no carbs or doing an extra cardio workout can help you bust through it. Unfortunately, both of those things suck…sooooo…

12. Allison says:

seeing as we work in the same atmosphere, when I know things are going to get crazy with work, the last thing I need is to eat like shit. If you are working late and eating like shit, you feel like shit so I try to make sure I’m prepared with healthy stuff – almonds, vegetables, hummus and fruit- so I reach for that snack versus anything frozen that’s in our freezer.

13. jen says:

congratulations on losing 12 pounds! i did a weight loss challenge for myself about 2.5 years ago and got stuck at 12 pounds. i probably only gained back 2 pounds but i really just started to focus on how i felt and looked and i stopped weighing myself. i also love food too much to be too strict on myself and just make sure i have 3-4 really hardcore workouts each week. good luck in your journey!

14. Kristin says:

Do you eat the candy fast or slow? If you are going to eat it (and it is ok if you do, just in moderation), go for the mini-size and savor them. I keep a bag in my freezer (dark chocolate Reese’s at the moment) and I have two a day. Satisfying and not ruining my gym work.

15. Catherine says:

Hey! First time commenter – yay me :) A few years ago I lost just over 35lbs. and it’s so hard when you hit plateaus … I hit many during my weight loss journey. The key is to switch up something in your routine whether it be your workouts or your diet until you break through the plateau. Your body sometimes gets too used to what you’re doing and since it’s no longer challenged it hits a plateau.

Also, try not to focus too much on the scale. A bigger indicator on how far you’re come is how your clothes fit and how you feel. Here is a link to a blog someone posted on Sparkpeople – http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_public_journal_individual.asp?blog_id=3926473&SPShared=TRUE. Just goes to show that while the scale may not be budging you’re still toning and losing inches.

Regarding craving something sweet when this happens to me I like to have an apple or banana with PB, graham wafers with some PB and choc chips or an apple sprinkled with cinnamon and put in the microwave for about 30 secs. And I always have some dark chocolate on hand for a sugar emergency. The key is to allow yourself to enjoy something sweet but to not throw off all your hard work.

Good luck with your weight loss journey :)

Catherine

16. Kez says:

I know what you mean. I’ve been trying to lose weight slowly without giving myself a deadline. I got to the 4kg weight loss milestone but spent two weeks tired, out of routine etc and I’m only getting back on track now. I’m still proud of myself, feel good and can see progress but it can feel crappy when you slip a bit. The key for me is not dwelling on setbacks. Each day is a new start and it’s never too late to try again. It’s all in the mind!! Best of luck xox

17. Rachel says:

There is always a weight wall (I just hit mine). Try increasing your fiber. I also recommend having a bunch of protien in the morning if you aren’t already. I started doing that and my energy levels are completely different. I feel better now, even though I am on baby hours because of this trick.

18. If even the crazies notice, you must be doing something right. I definitely get in workout ruts, which for me means not exercising at all. I’m currently doing great with it, but when I don’t condition myself to go regularly, it becomes a huge struggle to get back into it.

19. Keep working at it! EVERYBODY hits plateaus in their weight loss, trust me!

Maybe up your intensity at the gym – intervals or something perhaps?

20. phampants says:

Not that I condone this, but I’m having a liquid dinner and popchips tonight.