01 February 2011

Chicago: Six years later

Tagged: Chicago, CTA

Even though Chicago is being absolutely nailed by snow right now, there is something sentimental about today that makes me smile.

Six years ago today, I moved to Chicago. Well, technically, six years ago today I started working in Chicago but had only been in the city about 48 hours before then but I don’t actually count that. Coincidentally, just before I moved here, Milwaukee was nailed by 11 inches of snow so this feels right.

I’ve written several times about what brought me here so I won’t bore you with it, instead I thought I’d focus on what I still love about Chicago six years later.

So here’s my Chicagoversery love list:

• The lake – I love it. It’s so peaceful and beautiful, especially in winter when the lake steams from the cold weather
  • Food – Yes, Chicago hot dogs are great but really, Chicago has some awesome restaurants, both pricey and cheap. There are always new places to try!
  • Downtown – As a kid, my family and I would come to Chicago and shop around downtown. Even though the tourists drive me crazy now, I still love being downtown because it reminds me of these trips
  • Public transportation – Even though the CTA is a major FAIL in winter (like today), overall it’s a great system. You can easily get around without needing a car. It’s not perfect, but it could be a lot worse
  • The city’s “feeling” – Yes, this sounds crazy but there is something in the air of Chicago that makes me happy and excited to live here. Like at any second, something exciting will happen
  • The people - There are a few bad apples here and some clinically crazy people I’ve run in to on the street, but overall, the people of Chicago love living here and I love being one of them

Chicago is the longest relationship I’ve ever been in and I do not regret (even on my worst day) moving down here for the three-month trial run that has now turned in to six years.

I don’t know if Chicago is my long-term future, but for now, I’m glad to be here :)

What do you love about your city?

1. nic says:

“Like at any second, something exciting will happen.” Such as a woman taking out a washcloth from her chestal area, wringing it out, and wiping her face? I’ll never forget you telling me about that.

2. Auburnkat says:

Chicago is a great city!

I absolutely love living in NYC. A lot of the things on your list are the same reasons why I love NYC. I know exactly what you mean..there is an energy living here that I feed off of!

3. Mega says:

Chicago is one excellent place to live.

4. That would be my 12th C-versary last year. Whoops. :)

5. Happy Chicagoversary! :)
    I celebrated my C-versary last year… as much as this city drives me crazy & as much as I dream about moving, I’m still in love with it.

Happy anniversary! This May will mark 10 years that I’ve lived in the Chicagoland area. It flies by so fast, doesn’t it?

7. Rebecca_C says:

Yay! Happy belated Chicagoverssary. Sorry for ditching out on you a little early. Sending you sunshine!

8. I am a huge fan of Chicago and it’s on my short list of possible Midwest move-to locations in the next couple of years. I don’t like much about living in Central California, except maybe the proximity to both the LA and San Francisco areas. The weather’s OK, but the horrendous air pollution (worst place in the nation) pretty much nullifies that. I’m a midwesterner at heart and can’t wait to get back.

9. Allison says:

In cleveland,

I love the lake too and I somewhat love the unpredictable weather when one day it’s spring and the next it’s winter. (although I’m over the snow).

we have wineries that are close and some serious kick ass restaurants.

10. Steph says:

That’s a fun list! I love Chicago to visit. But I’ll always be a ‘burbs girl!

11. there’s alot i love about my city, but right now i don’t love too much lol..so sick of the snow! chicago is a cute city. i went a few years ago, and would like to go again.

12. Jenn says:

Can I write about Chicago instead of LA?

13. David says:

I’ve visited Chicago twice in the past couple of years. After my first visit, I went online and I found your blog and I’ve been following it ever since. I’ve been thinking about moving up there. I’m currently in Tennessee and the job that I have right now is ending at the end of June. I have some money saved up (and I’m still saving) and I would love to just give it a shot. I fell in love with the city and didn’t have one complaint when I left. I think I’m just hesitant because of the job market and the economy right now. Makes me a little nervous!

14. Kez says:

The stuff I love about my city/hometown: that it’s a beachy holiday spot that I get to live in every day. There’s a laid-back atmosphere you don’t find in the capital city and all my friends and my family is here :)

I totally understand why you love your city! I visited Chicago in the summer of 2009 and was ready to pick up and move there just a month later! However, I ended up meeting my (now) fiance at the end of the summer and decided to stay put in Pennsylvania. I cannot WAIT to get back to Chicago, though. I love reading your blog and learning about different restaurants in the area and seeing stuff that you do :) I hope to return in 2011 :)

16. UMM….I really need to visit.

Happy Chicagoversary!! I love my little town because its quiet and moves at a slower pace than the rest of the world but is still in pretty close proximity to some major cities.

18. Joey says:

Haven’t had a steady home base for a few years. And I don’t feel all that much of a connection to the city in which I grew up. That being said, I love Charlottetown, PEI in the summertime, I sometimes spend some holidays. The downtown is quaint and there are a lot of things to do for such a small city (pubs, plays, and restaurants). My husband went to Chicago last year and raved about it…hopefully I’ll make it there someday.

19. yay : D
    all fun things i want to come visit chicago for!
    i’ll be flying in and out of o’hare 5-6 times over the next few months but never getting in chicago. boo!

ummm, i love where i live because it is quiet & peaceful but still an hour from nyc.

20. Akirah says:

I’m so glad you love your city. I love mine too. The bridges, the Steelers, the people. It’s all very amazing. :)

21. Maureen says:

Other than one year in Southern California, I have lived in the Chicago area my entire life.
    I moved back to Chicagoland from LA because I missed it.
    There is just something about the area.
    I have traveled to other towns and countries but I am always glad to be home.

22. phampants says:

Chicago makes me feel alive.