23 February 2011

Saying goodbye to TV shows

Tagged: television

I love TV. I watch a lot of it and get very connected to some of my shows. When you watch a show that you love for a long time, it becomes part of your routine and saying goodbye is tough.

For example, when LOST ended, I bawled like a small child. I watched that show since the beginning and it was hard to believe it was really over. Same with Sex And the City on HBO. It was such a bittersweet moment to see the stories come full circle and know that it won’t be in my DVR anymore as a new episode. And the SATC movies haven’t been as satisfying as the original series.

And now, I’ve had to say goodbye to another one of my favorite shows. Friday Night Lights.

I LOVE this show.

My friend Liz introduced me to the show (when it just aired on NBC) and within weeks, I was hooked. While she crushed on bad boy Riggins, I was a Coach Taylor girl all the way. Apparently, I have a thing for older men in authoritative jobs.

But what I also have a “thing” for is great storytelling with characters that are realistic and you can relate to. I watch enough reality TV to “escape,” sometimes I just like a great show with people you care about. That’s what Friday Night Lights was to me. I didn’t know a lot of people that watched the those, but those who did, were big fans like me.

Now, thanks to Netflix Instant, more friends are watching the show and loving it too, which makes me more happy because those are more people to talk Dillon football with!

The final season, season 5, just aired on DirecTV and isn’t coming to NBC until April. Well, one weekend, I cheated and watched the final season online because I couldn’t wait to see the end. And after a marathon two day watching session, with little sleep and lots of Dillon football, it ended. I miss it already.

It was another great season and great ending to one of my favorite shows. I’ll definitely watch it again when it re-airs on NBC and then I’ll say goodbye again, this time for good.

If you haven’t watched the show, I very highly recommend it. I know few people who watched and hated it. And if you have, let’s start dishing about the show!

What are some of your favorite shows that have ended?

1. steph anne says:

I get emotional when my TV shows come to an end too. I LOVE FNL and cannot wait until it’s on NBC. I cried when the OC ended…..and I don’t want OTH to ever end as I’m sure it will soon. :(

So I should give this show another shot? I watched the first episode or two, and I was having a major block trying to deal with all the football. Do you think I have the capacity to like it even with all the football, a sport I loathe?

I’m over missing LOST. I was so pissed at the final episode. I wish they’d kept Ugly Betty on the air. I’m a little bummed Medium is over and so help me GAWD if they pull Fringe.

Also, I know this is really, really wrong for so many reasons (among them the fact that I am 33 years old), but I miss the drama that is The Hills. There, I said it.

I haven’t seen Friday Night Lights, but I really need to add it to my Netflix queue. I’ve heard nothing but good things about it. I was really sad when the Gilmore Girls ended.

Everyone is always talking about Friday Night Lights! I might have to jump on the bandwagon. Once I finish Veronica Mars, I’m going to need a new show to watch while I pump.

5. Grace says:

I am a tv addict too. I miss:
    Gilmore Girls
    Freaks and Geeks
    Veronica Mars
    Ugly Betty

I have a feeling that when Parenthood ends I really miss it too. Gilmore Girls was the closest to my heart though. It is the only series that I watched from the beginning to end and I was the same age as Rory. It is the only show I have the box set for and turn it on all the time.

6. Allison says:

dawson’s creek! ahh, high school

7. Janalee says:

I love Friday Night Lights. I’m very sad that it’s ending. I’m also losing Greek this year as well.

Lots of love for Gilmore Girls in the comments and while I do own the whole series on DVD you’ve gotta wonder how many more times Luke could take Loreli back.

I watch a lot of TV so I’ve lost a lot of shows over the years.

8. I still have the last episode of Lost in my DVR. Another show I miss is The West Wing. Good thing a ton of the characters on that show now have Twitter accounts run by fans!

man i hate saying goodbye to shows. some of my favorites to leave recently have been: without a trace, studio 60 (after one dang season!) and medium, oh i hated saying bye to that one.

I have Friday Night Lights S1 in my queue on netflix. I need to watch it because the first few episodes I’ve seen, I love.

Favorite shows that ended…
    Friends (i know, so college of me)
    Sex and the City for sure
    Gilmore Girls
    Boston Legal
    Northern Exposure

Thank goodness for TV on DVD because I can feel as though these shows will last forever now :) (Although I *still* cry at the end of every single series.)

11. Jen says:

LOST for sure. I loved that show. I watched every single episode when it aired and if you bothered me during the show, there was hell to pay! Since that is gone, I don’t watch much tv except for the Travel Channel and NatGeo WILD.

12. Love TV. Love it.

TV shows I miss…

90210
    Fraiser
    Cheers (I still get choked up thinking about Sam saying – sorry, bar is closed).
    Lost
    Dawson’s Creek

I could probably go on and on. Once I am committed to a show I can’t leave it, even when it jumps the shark and dies a painful death.

13. Lost was frustrating as all get out, but I loved it and I miss it. I’m still sad that Gilmore Girls went off the rails and was cancelled. And I’m heartbroken that Arrested Development was cancelled, even though I didn’t start watching it until it was already of the air ;)

14. don’t feel too bad…most of my shows are gone, too!

-gilmore girls (although this probably ran its course)

-lost (the first 3 seasons were the best!)

-dollhouse (it was never given a chance when the network decided to air it on fridays! seriously…why?)

-buffy the vampire slayer (also ran its course, but i’m obsessed so i would have loved it to last forever and ever)

did you hear they might be doing another SATC movie? i really hope not. they’re milking it dry!

I tend to fall in love with shows that only last one or two seasons:

Life
    Dollhouse
    Firefly
    Wonderfalls

Although nothing makes me cry harder than the final episode of M*A*S*H.

I miss Freaks and Geeks…that show was the shit.

17. S. says:

I miss: Firefly and Ugly Betty.

18. Akirah says:

Freaks and Geeks. That show being cancelled was a hurtpiece. Also, The Game. I’m glad they brought it back, but it definitely isn’t the same anymore. Oh, and when I was a kid I LOVED this show called Ghostwriter. Soooooo gooooood!

19. lbluca77 says:

I started watching FNL on my netflix instant and so loved it. I’m only half way through season one, but I tend to slack off more with netflix instant. Need to get it on disc. Matt Saracen has my heart.