28 February 2011

Oscar fashion recap!

Happy Monday everyone! I’m back from my business trip and trying to get back in the swing of things. Travel is draining, seriously.

But, before I pass out in a snoring haze, I need to talk about something very, very important….OSCAR FASHION.

That’s right, last night was the movie and fashion Super Bowl extravaganza known as…the Oscars. I was ready to party, celebrate and prove how hyper critical I can be.

So let’s put my soul-crushing critical skills to the test!

Best Dressed

Mila Kunis – I hate it at first but now I’m loving this look. LOVE the color, feminine details and hair. Flawless

Hailee Steinfeld – Adorable, age/event appropriate and the length of this dress is perfect! I just want to give her a hug she’s so cute

Amy Adams – The navy is perfect with her red hair and I love the sparkles/cap sleeves. Just lose the necklace

Michelle Williams – After a Globes misstep, this Chanel gown is simple and elegant. And I wish I could pull off that pixie cut

Cate Blanchett – Much like Zoe Saldana’s gown last year, this was love/hate and I loved it. Matches Cate’s style perfectly and only she could pull this off. I love the detail, color and shoulders

Dear Natalie Portman – I hated your Globes dress (a lot) but this entire look is FABULOUS. Tasteful cleavage, stunning color and cut. Let’s hug it out

Mandy Moore – Thank you for showing us pale-skin girls how to wear nude. The sparkles and neckline plus coral lipstick is a winner

It was tough to pick my final female “best dressed” pick. Jennifer Lawrence’s va va va voom look, Gwyenth’s Star Trek-like look (despite orange skin) and ScarJo’s body hugging berry lace number were all worthy, but my final selection is….

Camila Alves – Tasteful boobage, classic color and perfect jewelry, L-O-V-E, now tell your man to wear a shirt

Not So Best Dressed

Jennifer Hudson – From one Chicago girl to another, you look amazing but the unflattering saggy boobs here distract me, and not in a good way

Marisa Tomei – that dust ruffle needs to be nipped closer to the heels and you need a bigger chest to pull off that full coverage sweetheart neckline. Fact

Nicole Kidman – This is an easy shot but the flaps on your hips are not flattering, even for someone as skinny as you

Dear Reese Witherspoon – I love your everyday sense of style but this 1950s Barbie look takes vintage too seriously. Still love you!

Halle Berry – If you could have tripped this frothy toilet paper off the dress, you would be in the above category. Sorry

Annette Bening is a classy lady but I’m just not loving this. I wish I could explain more but I just don’t like it

I love that Michelle Williams’ BFF Busy Phillips was her date last night but that front satin flap needs to go. Dawson would not approve

Phew, okay, that is my Oscar fashion recap for this year. I’m thinking of writing a bit more about fashion on this blog too, so if you feel strongly yay or nay on that, let me know!

Now, for tonight’s question, did you watch the Oscars? Who were your best/worst dressed?

1. The thing that I took most note of was Cate Blanchett’s hair. That one went in the hair file for when I get a good chop after my sister’s wedding this summer.

2. andhari says:

I just love Mila Kunis. She’s adorable. :)

3. Renee says:

So glad to see there’s another fan of Cate Blanchett’s dress. I gasped when I saw her; she looked like a princess!

totally agree with you on your picks. and jhud’s makeup? was a bit scary.

and hailee, seriously, i want to wear that dress. every girls needs that dress, haha.

5. I agree with most everything here! Though, I loved Reese head to toe (I know most people didn’t!) and really didn’t care for Michelle WIlliams for some reason. Pretty dress but just didn’t WOW me.

6. I love Reese! She can do no wrong in my book.

And about the fashion stuff – its your blog! Write about it. I love hearing/reading other people’s opinions.

We have such fabulous taste as I agree with you :) I will say that I did love Reese’s hair but she looked like a Barbie Doll to me. Oh well.

So glad that King’s Speech won… :) And Welcome Back, btw!

8. Ahh! I thought I was the only one who thought Reese’s get up was too Barbie to be cute. I pretty much agree with your take. I was a big fan of Cate Blanchett’s, though I’m still waiting for Mila Kunis’ dress to grow on me.

9. amberlashell says:

I love that you put the fashion out there! I agree with all of those..

10. jen says:

i really loved mila. she’s been kicking ass with dress choices this season! i think my pick is jennifer lawerence. i actually liked gweneth’s dress! and kelly osborne was another fave of mine. really there were a ton i loved this year so it’s hard to pick! i think melissa leo takes the cake for worst dressed for me. i also was not a fan of penelope cruz’s dress.

I just noticed Haley Steinfeld’s heels. Good God those are tall! I think I was still tripping in flats at her age.

I love Mila Kunis…she looks stunning!

13. OH I loved Reese Witherspoon, I thought she looked so classically beautiful!

I also can’t get over how HOT Jennifer Hudson is looking. Whoa!

And I adore Amy Adams and that dress. So fun for a redhead!!

14. Kez says:

Mila was definitely top of my list too!! :)

15. Jenn says:

Mila Kunis is my ULTIMATE girl crush. She looked amazing last night.

16. Grace says:

Anette’s dress does not give her any shape. If it were just slightly more form fitted as it went down it would probably look nice. Not a best dressed but she would look good.

17. Lisa says:

I can’t believe how straight Annette Bening looks in that dress. You would think those V shapes would give her some curves, but it does nothing for her.

I couldn’t stop staring at Jennifer Hudson’s boobs. That dress would have been so much more flattering with a V neck. She should have at least tried to tape those puppies up somehow because they looked a bit pancake-ish.

And was Natalie Portman wearing heels? No wonder she looked so uncomfortable on the carpet. I didn’t wear heels my entire pregnancy, I was hoping she was wearing flats last night, but it doesn’t look like it. Personally, I think heels look a bit strange on preggos, her body isn’t the same, so that leg elongating look isn’t there, it just looks awkward.

18. I had no idea Michelle Williams & Busy Phillips were still buds! That warms my Dawson’s-loving heart.

I disagree on two points: I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaated (is that enough A’s?) Mila Kunis’ dress. Of course, I seem to be the only one, but I think she looked like the trashiest little Easter-egg-colored hooker I’ve ever seen. What was with the lilac pasties-style pieces popping out the top of the neckline? Oof. Also, I really loved Halle Berry’s dress, even with the tulle at the bottom; I thought she looked divine. Then again, when you’re Halle Berry, it’s not SO tough to look divine.